RC poster

Help Servo dead...I think

Today I was running the X around the yard and it just stopped steering out of the blue. When I turn the truck on the steering servo just runs wild but nothing turns when I try to steer. Are the gears in the servo shot? I want to tear into it but hoping for some advice first. TYIA!

Quote Originally Posted by Jruggs View Post
    Today I was running the X around the yard and it just stopped steering out of the blue. When I turn the truck on the steering servo just runs wild but nothing turns when I try to steer. Are the gears in the servo shot? I want to tear into it but hoping for some advice first. TYIA!
    If car is on and you have throttle. And you can hear steering servo just turning. And if your turn steering on tx back and forth and can hear servo make different noises. More than likely servo gears are bad.

Can replace gears with stock plastic. Or get the 2085x metal gears and put in as a upgrade. Or just go for the 2085x replacement. ( It's a bit stronger tourqe than stock)

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

RC poster
    Thats pretty much what it is doing. Its a week old , is it worth dealing with warranty or just upgrade and move on? Do they even warranty the servo?

Thats pretty much what it is doing. Its a week old , is it worth dealing with warranty or just upgrade and move on? Do they even warranty the servo?
    It is common for them to go out. Mine went out when it was just sitting stopped while I was messing with ramp. As tires were trying to get back into center and couldn't on grass.

It's worth a call tontrx on Tues since new. They may send you a new one if send back old.

If going to bash and big jumps worth it to get at least the metal gears.

Most people upgrade to the 2085x ( or other metal gear servo and adapter and a hot racing aluminum horn.

RC poster
    I pulled the servo out and the first gear in the stack that connects to the brass servo gear is ground down about a 1/3 of the way around. Im just going to put a 2085X in and forget it. The stock model will just crap out again I’m betting. Thanks for the advice I appreciate it!

I pulled the servo out and the first gear in the stack that connects to the brass servo gear is ground down about a 1/3 of the way around. Im just going to put a 2085X in and forget it. The stock model will just crap out again Iím betting. Thanks for the advice I appreciate it!
    It only a portion of the gear is bad. May be able to rotate it 180į to use the good part till new servo shows up.

May still be worth a call to Traxxas. At least have a back up servo.

RC Champion
    Support will send you a replacement plastic servo gear set
    2087X is the metal gear set
    fabricator

RC Competitor
    I had the same problem, after the first run the servo gears where stripped.

Then i replaced it with the 2085x and it died after 3 runs.

Now i have been waiting for 4 weeks because they are looking if it can be replaced for free or i need to buy another one.

Verstuurd vanaf mijn SM-G960F met Tapatalk

RC Champion

RC poster
    Just got off the phone with Traxxas support and was told they don’t warranty stripped servo gears. You would think for $900 and only a week old they would do something. Kinda crap customer service if you ask me.

RC Champion
    Just got off the phone with Traxxas support and was told they don’t warranty stripped servo gears. You would think for $900 and only a week old they would do something. Kinda crap customer service if you ask me.
    Email this response with pictures of the sales receipt and stripped gears to Traxxas support.com
    Tech musta been having a bad day

2087x is worthy = repair and go

Bash On and Good Luck
    fabricator

The best way to engage support about a problematic servo, is to give them as little information as possible on the phone.

Just tell them it quit working and don't get into things like; I took it apart and such and such gear was stripped.

They will always send a new one under warranty. How do I know?

I went through four Traxxas servos; two 2085's and two 2085X's. Both overheat and quit responding until they cool down and the 2085 just plain strips the lower most plastic gear (thinnest gear in the stack) to the brass drive gear within about four good runs.

I became somewhat of a beta tester for the 2085 series servos in my calibration thread (2 months of testing); so I have a pretty good idea what is going on with the two servos.
    Last edited by Flux Capacitor; 05-26-2020 at 10:25 AM.
    Sent from my autonomous device.

RC poster
    I installed a Hexfly servo 25kg that my hobby store gave me. I guess Trx is coming there next week so he is going to talk to them about warranty and why they send out a junk servo from the get go. Its good to have a good hobby store with great staff to help me out. I will always buy from them and make sure I send everyone I know to them!

RC Champion
    I installed a Hexfly servo 25kg that my hobby store gave me. I guess Trx is coming there next week so he is going to talk to them about warranty and why they send out a junk servo from the get go. Its good to have a good hobby store with great staff to help me out. I will always buy from them and make sure I send everyone I know to them!
    Happy to read this mate, enjoy your monster.

RC poster
    I picked up 2020 X Maxx 6/9 and original servo crapped out...upgraded to 2085x and it did not last a week...not good at doing the repairs myself so took mine in to my local hobby shop and was recommended to get Savox....So I told them lets go for it....have not got the truck back yet....hope it resolves the issue. It would be nice for Traxxas to offer upgraded parts from the get go when we spend $1000 plus cost of batteries and chargers....I am getting to understand that this is an expensive hobby...but I like running the XMaxx. I have been playing with the idea of an XO-1????

Quote Originally Posted by CurtisR View Post
    I picked up 2020 X Maxx 6/9 and original servo crapped out...upgraded to 2085x and it did not last a week...not good at doing the repairs myself so took mine in to my local hobby shop and was recommended to get Savox....So I told them lets go for it....have not got the truck back yet....hope it resolves the issue. It would be nice for Traxxas to offer upgraded parts from the get go when we spend $1000 plus cost of batteries and chargers....I am getting to understand that this is an expensive hobby...but I like running the XMaxx. I have been playing with the idea of an XO-1????
    Funny thing is, the 2085X is considered the upgraded part for the steering and even if it were on the truck stock, it would overheat. It can't hold a candle to my ProModeler DS630BLHV that can dead lift 38lbs. in its stress tests and not break a sweat.

Playing with the idea of an XO-1 is just more of the same. What I mean by that, is if you want your vehicles to perform how they are glorified in videos, plan on spending an extra $550~$900 dollars in upgraded electronics, tires, real suspension system, and possibly upgraded arms all around.

The first two months I had my X-Maxx, I couldn't run it more than ten minutes at a time without something going wrong. Then I started throwing more money at it: $200 for a Max5, $150 for ProModeler servo and adapter horn, $50 for center and rear lockers, $120 Scorpion Belted tires, and I still have to get 120 "C" rate batteries and a motor and motor mount that is about another $400 right there.

When I'm done, I know that I will have put at least another $900 into the X-Maxx that Traxxas claims is that tough out of the box. If that were true, then why before I even started to finally get to use my truck did I even have to purchase the things I did? Do you think I wanted to spend that kind of money on upgrades just so I could sit back and say: "Ha, Ha I got the parts everyone else has?"

No, I did it because the truck didn't work right until I did buy the upgraded parts and was wussified since the 6S version days and they just basically give you a platform to build on. Pretty expensive chassis for $900 is what I'm thinking at this point.

Heck the replacement chassis for my 2000 Chevy S-10 was only $350. As a matter of fact, next month, my X-Maxx will surpass the value of my daily driver. Pretty sad when you got an X-Maxx that is more expensive than the vehicle you actually sit in and drive to get around!
    Last edited by Flux Capacitor; 07-04-2020 at 07:00 PM. Reason: Fixed
    Sent from my autonomous device.

I pulled the servo out and the first gear in the stack that connects to the brass servo gear is ground down about a 1/3 of the way around. Im just going to put a 2085X in and forget it. The stock model will just crap out again Iím betting. Thanks for the advice I appreciate it!
    Something else you might want to consider is loosening up you servo-saver a little.

Life's to short to be a sour puss.

Quote Originally Posted by ReglarGuy View Post
    Something else you might want to consider is loosening up you servo-saver a little.

Yes to this and testing your servo saver us engaging. Grit gets in there and can foul things up. Manually test the servo saver by holding servo linkages then moving the tires. You can see and feel it engage.

This is just me. But I've started to put a little bit of bearing grease lube on my servo saver points as I am Seeing a lot of plastic wear from sand n grit. My thoughts are that it reduces the extra friction and let's the servo saver do its job sooner and not have to also overcome the extra friction and binding from grit.

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by ReglarGuy View Post

Agree with this, sometimes, a hard tighten servo-saver is a very bad thing for the stock servo, the stock gears in it are plastic.

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by Flux Capacitor View Post

I went through four Traxxas servos; two 2085's and two 2085X's. Both overheat and quit responding until they cool down
    glad to hear i am not alone. i had the exact same issue. makes it very scary and dangerous to drive

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by Acidic01 View Post
    Yes to this and testing your servo saver us engaging. Grit gets in there and can foul things up. Manually test the servo saver by holding servo linkages then moving the tires. You can see and feel it engage.
    hey any chance you could post a video of what it looks likes to manually test it to see it engage? im not sure what im supposed to be looking for

RC poster
    my servo failed after just 2 packs of batteries. The servo motor would spin but no steering. Fortunately it happened at very slow speed. Traxxas support was good, they are sending out a replacement set of gears. But, I decided to upgrade to the 2085X and keep rebuilt stock servo as spare.
    However, when changing out the servo saver spring, the screw stripped. I had compressed the spring before starting the screw, but it stripped anyways. My solution was to replace the stock screw with a 6-32 screw - it fit with no drilling and threaded securely into the plastic without needing a lock nut. IMO, the threads on the stock screw are too fine.

I have a E-Revo 2.0 and Rustler 4x4 VXL, the X-MAXX is an awesome turck, but the steering setup is too weak for a truck this size. With only small jumps (less than a foot high), I would not have expected to start replacing parts in the first week.
    Hopefully it holds together now because it is a blast to drive.

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by varunaX View Post
    hey any chance you could post a video of what it looks likes to manually test it to see it engage? im not sure what im supposed to be looking for
    Please, empty your mailbox.