Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    RC Competitor

The Evolution of a 4x4 Ultimate

Hi, this is my first post here, thought it was time to contribute!

I thought you guys may like to see a few pics of my 4x4 Ultimate which Iíve had just over a year now. Having had a break from RC for 30 years, wow havenít things moved on!!

It started looking pretty standard, all I added was OBA and some cooling fans:

Then it got some RPM bumpers, spare wheel carrier and a new shell - I forgot how much enjoyment I used to get from painting bodyshells!

The Martini theme then continued with my next body, this time the Axial Yeti version of the bug shell (which does fit and I prefer the look of):

A few months later and Iíd ordered and painted another one!

I then got fed up of shredding standard tyres so went for a set of Badlands - awesome tyres and much less ballooning:

And this brings us almost up to where we are today, although Iíve always liked the Fiesta Rally body, so, as a lockdown project I did this...

Whatís that familiar shape under the shell? Yes itís the original body, cut down and sat lower. This is to house the OBA and give a vaguely realistic interior. Works pretty well!

So there we go - this is how it sits currently. It does get fully used and abused despite the shiny pics - especially with my 3yr old lad driving!!

I will now aim to keep this thread up to date with any further tinkering, Iím sure there will be some, itís addictive...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RC Qualifier
    I love the paint jobs!

How do you get the black lines so crisp? Iím struggling with the best way to do that and small black areas without using a whole roll of mask tape. Do you use small paint brushes or markers?

Traxxas Marshal
    Welcome to the forums and back to the hobby! Thanks for sharing the pictures and the progression of your build!
    "Happiness depends upon ourselves." -Aristotle

RC Competitor
    Quote Originally Posted by TwoBelugas View Post
    I love the paint jobs!

How do you get the black lines so crisp? Iím struggling with the best way to do that and small black areas without using a whole roll of mask tape. Do you use small paint brushes or markers?
    Thank you! Itís all done with masking tape - I think the key is to use decent masking tape (I use Tamiya) and apply the paint in thin coats. The very thin shut lines between panels I tend to do with dark grey vinyl, cut very thin:

Quote Originally Posted by cooleocool View Post
    Welcome to the forums and back to the hobby! Thanks for sharing the pictures and the progression of your build!
    Cheers, itís good to be back!!

Last edited by cooleocool; 05-25-2020 at 01:53 AM. Reason: merge

Welcome to the Traxxas forums and back to the hobby!

Your rig’s bodies are looking good! Can’t wait to see what it will look like in it’s next life!

Have fun!
    Creativity is intelligence having fun. -Einstein

RC Competitor
    Thanks Squeegie, Iím sure it will evolve again before too long!

Traxxas Marshal
    Quote Originally Posted by Steeeve View Post
    It’s all done with masking tape -
    Have you given any thought to liquid masking? If you like painting, liquid mask can let you do some very fun things much more easily than you can with tape. Also, air brush or rattle cans? If not air brush, those add to the painting fun as well!

RC Competitor
    Have you given any thought to liquid masking? If you like painting, liquid mask can let you do some very fun things much more easily than you can with tape. Also, air brush or rattle cans? If not air brush, those add to the painting fun as well!
    I havenít used liquid mask for a very long time, but have seen some great effects done with it - maybe Iíll have to give it a go on the next one!

All my bodies have been done using rattle cans (the Tamiya ones). I find them pretty good to be honest. Just wish there were a few more colour choices!

Traxxas Marshal
    I haven’t used liquid mask for a very long time, but have seen some great effects done with it - maybe I’ll have to give it a go on the next one!

All my bodies have been done using rattle cans (the Tamiya ones). I find them pretty good to be honest. Just wish there were a few more colour choices!

If you love painting, I highly recommend getting an airbrush. I started off with a cheap single action airbrush back in the day (was better than rattle cans simply for color options and whatnot). Nicer airbrushes, though, provide so much more control and are a joy to use. My airbrush of choice is a double action Paasche (forget the model, bought it 15ish years ago). Definitely worth looking into. Not that you need it, your shells have come out very nicely! I just wonder what you'd be able to do with an airbrush!

RC Competitor
    Thanks, it sounds very tempting based on what you describe, I already have a compressor so itís the logical next step... especially now that my son is getting into RC too, so even more bodies to do!

Traxxas Marshal
    Thanks, it sounds very tempting based on what you describe, I already have a compressor so it’s the logical next step... especially now that my son is getting into RC too, so even more bodies to do!

You don't sound like you need much convincing!

But just think! The color options (even custom mixed colors)! The control over the air and paint flow! Oh how wonderful it is.

RC Competitor
    You don't sound like you need much convincing!

But just think! The color options (even custom mixed colors)! The control over the air and paint flow! Oh how wonderful it is.
    Iím easily persuaded! Just need to look into paint availability here in the UK, but as youíve sensed, Iím keen on the idea! Thanks for the advice, much appreciated.

RC poster
    Love the WRC'esque presentation of that Fiesta! Which brand of body is that? Seems a perfect fit! What size wheels/tires worked out for that?

RC Competitor
    Thank you! Decided to keep the paintwork simple on the Fiesta because itís such a nice body. Itís the Traxxas Fiesta Rally one. Designed for a narrower track but just about ok. Wheels and tyres are Arrma DBoots Hoons with Traxxas 17mm hex converters. Can probably dig out part numbers if thatís helpful...

RC poster
    Humm..I wonder just how much parts commonality there is between the ST and Slash. Is the ST basically a LCG slash with different bumpers, tires, and body?

Sorry for getting OT, but you've really peaked my interest.

RC Competitor
    Quote Originally Posted by sunsanvil View Post
    Humm..I wonder just how much parts commonality there is between the ST and Slash.
    I think the Fiesta is narrower track (different arms and camber links), different wheels/tyres, bumpers, body mounts, and a few lower spec items (plastic centre driveshaft for example), but generally pretty similar...

The older Rally 4x4's were basically a lowered Slash 4x4 Ultimate/Platinum.

The newer Ford Fiesta ST Rally has the shorter A-arms from the Telluride 4x4.

RC Racer
    Wow, very nice paintwork !!
    That Axial Yeti Martini Bug is a beauty.

RC Competitor
    Quote Originally Posted by StijnH View Post
    Wow, very nice paintwork !!
    That Axial Yeti Martini Bug is a beauty.
    Thank you! Sadly the Martini bug shell is now relegated to bashing duites, so a bit less shiny than in the pics!

RC poster
    Thanks for posting this. I too have a slash 4x4 ultimate and have the Baja beetle body. Iíve set the masking tape out and bought an air brush with some proline paint. Iíve never sprayed an rc but seeing your results I really look forward to getting something halfway to what you have achieved. Please post more of your earlier pics I you have them.

RC Competitor
    Nice one! Go for it, youíll learn lots and probably then want to do another one to get better at it (or maybe thatís just me?)!! Looking forward to seeing your results.

No worries, I found a few more pics of the bug shells, glad that theyíre helpful!

Looks great!

I still have one of Proline's Axial Yeti Baja Bug bodies in my bin at home (one of 6 different bodies). One of these days I'll have to get back to it. Too bad they discontinued that body. Makes me hesitant to cut it up...

Love it,great job!!!!
    Dig the way the Beetle body sits on the chassis.
    Traxxas Slash Platinum Edition

RC Competitor
    Quote Originally Posted by Squeegie View Post
    Looks great!

I still have one of Proline's Axial Yeti Baja Bug bodies in my bin at home (one of 6 different bodies). One of these days I'll have to get back to it. Too bad they discontinued that body. Makes me hesitant to cut it up...
    Thanks Squeegie, it was your build thread that got me liking the look of a bug body sat low... I really like the Yeti version, as you say itís a shame theyíve stopped making it. Somehow feels a bit tougher than the Slash version too. Great that you got one while you still could...

RC Competitor
    Quote Originally Posted by RiderZ View Post
    Love it,great job!!!!
    Dig the way the Beetle body sits on the chassis.
    Thanks RiderZ, I think it suits the Slash well. Iím not a fan of the big rear bumper sticking out, which is why I went for the RPM spare wheel mount to hide it a bit!

RC Qualifier
    The spare carrier + spare really completes it.

Did you buy one wheel/tire or did you have another set from which you used one of them?

RC Competitor
    I had another set luckily - a non-matching spare would really bother me!!

Thanks Squeegie, it was your build thread that got me liking the look of a bug body sat low... I really like the Yeti version, as you say itís a shame theyíve stopped making it. Somehow feels a bit tougher than the Slash version too. Great that you got one while you still could...

Love the way they look sitting low!

RC Competitor
    That really is perfection to me... looks so good!!

RC Competitor
    Just a few action shots from a bash around the garden today - my 3yr old son driving (on 3s! )...

As always... looks great!
    Also kudos to your son for driving it!

RC Competitor
    Thanks Squeegie! Yeah, thatís probably why I get through so many bodyshells! He loves it though (and is already complaining that his Monster Beetle is too slow!).

RC poster
    Super sweet conversions you have done there. Will use this as inspiration for my future conversion (only recently joined the hobby)...

I don't see many road setups with the Tundra body. Any specific reasons for this?

RC Competitor
    Welcome to the hobby! Only re-joined recently myself after a ~30yr break. Youíre right, Iíve not seen any on-road Tundras but Iíd be keen to see some pics if you go down this route. Have fun!

Hereís my Tundra (both RC and 1:1):

https://forums.traxxas.com/showthrea...atinum-Edition

...but you probably meant the stock Traxxas Tundra, not the one by ProLine.

RC poster
    Quote Originally Posted by Squeegie View Post
    Here’s my Tundra (both RC and 1:1):

https://forums.traxxas.com/showthrea...atinum-Edition

...but you probably meant the stock Traxxas Tundra, not the one by ProLine.
    I think it is the Pro Line if I compare to yours! But probably the one below was cut like it has a body kit?
    Like yours as well! Nice to have a miniature of your own car

https://youtu.be/x16h0i2Bcao
    Last edited by Wes1987; 05-31-2020 at 09:55 AM. Reason: Link

I remember that video. Same body, but trimmed less under the front bumper to act as a front spoiler. It also has a Traxxas Rally (or JConcepts Scalpel) from bumper. Homemade? rear diffuser, custom trimmed wing and GRP 1/8 GT road wheels/tires. Can’t tell what he did to his suspension.

Have fun!

Wes1987: Other questions can move to your thread.

Sorry for the thread jack, Steeeve!

RC poster

The Evolution of a 4x4 Ultimate

[QUOTE=Steeeve;6539412]Nice one! Go for it, youíll learn lots and probably then want to do another one to get better at it (or maybe thatís just me?)!! Looking forward to seeing your results.

No worries, I found a few more pics of the bug shells, glad that theyíre helpful!

how did you get the really small pin striped lines, the light and dark blue lines that run over the bonnet/hood and running along the side.
    I know you would use masking tape and a pen and scalpel but the lines on the front wing are really thin and neat.
    Last edited by BangoBango; 06-01-2020 at 01:09 AM.

RC poster
    You can get parts and upgrades for your traxxas slash 4 x 4 ultimate here.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast