Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast
    Thanks. And an incredible job! Between you, Squeegie, and a few others, my wallet never closes. Hehe

RC Racer
    Sorry! Know what you mean, Squeegie has a lot to answer for, my wallet is feeling it!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Creativity is intelligence having fun. -Einstein

My daughter, when she probably 8 months old, literally wouldnt go to sleep unless she watched Moana.. No joke. For probably 3 months. I can recite every song on that movie almost word for word hahah.

Now its cloudy with a chance of meatballs.

Sent from my LGL722DL using Tapatalk

RC poster
    Love the rally body! I wish that category was more popular.

Do the ties rub?

Sean

RC Competitor
    Quote Originally Posted by Steeeve View Post

Simply amazing!

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by singletracksean View Post
    Love the rally body! I wish that category was more popular.

Do the ties rub?

Sean
    Thereís a small amount of rubbing, but nothing too bad to be honest. The Hoons are a bit smaller diameter than some of the other options, which helps a lot.

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by Craigeoh View Post
    Simply amazing!
    Thanks Craigeoh!

RC Racer
    Just a few more minor tweaks recently, so thought Iíd update this thread.

Having bought my son a Rustler 4x4 VXL for Christmas I liked the look of the bumpers, so bought a pair (plus wheelie bar and anodised wheels) for my Slash.

I needed a decent wheelie bar which works with the 2.8s, weíll just have to see if itís too flexible or not...

The front bumper works quite well with the nose of the bug shell and means I can tuck the light bar away underneath.

I also upgraded the 17mm hexes on my Raid wheels to aluminium (sorry, aluminum!) ones as Iíve already had a couple of them crack.

Iíve always thought the Arrma rear wing was a bit too Ďheavyweightí looking on the rear of mine. Even more so with the smaller front bumper fitted. So I decided (after a few beers!) to cut it down, removing the entire upper plane. Feels a bit more balanced now I think...

Oh and finally I made some little carbon rear light housings to fit under the rear arches. Tucked out of the way here and useful for the dark evenings now...

Thatís all for now!

RC Racer
    Nice! can you do a picture with the whole car? (With the new wing and stuff)

Also, what are you using for your wing mount?

RC Racer
    Sure - hereís a few:

Oh and the rear wing mount is a HPI Vorza Flux item with some spacers to raise the wing a bit. Needed a carbon plate to Ďsandwichí the rear shock tower for the upper fixings, but otherwise a fairly easy install. There was a video on YouTube of someone fitting one...

Great job with the rear wing!

I did that with my Arrma wing a while ago as well:

Keep it up!

RC Racer
    Ah brilliant, I didnít realise that was a cut down wing - looks really great!

Here's what it looked like before I cut it down:

https://forums.traxxas.com/showthrea...Burning-Chrome

Much better now.

Love the new bumpers on your bug... really cleans up the front!

RC Racer
    So much better! I assumed it was a new wing youíd fitted, a big improvement over the stock one.

RC Racer
    Was a bit soggy out there today! Basher body fitted and 4yr old test pilot at the controls... this is what happens!

Great shots!

RC Racer
    Thanks Squeegie! Guess who forgot to tape up the breather holes in the wheels... Still trying to get all the water out, including trying a bake in the oven (donít tell the wife!).

Traxxas Marshal
    Quote Originally Posted by Steeeve View Post
    Still trying to get all the water out, including trying a bake in the oven (don’t tell the wife!).
    LOL, most all of us have been there at one time or another! Be careful, though, you may end up having to re-glue the tires!
    "Happiness depends upon ourselves." -Aristotle

RC Racer
    Thanks cooleocool, Iíve given up on them to be honest - still havenít got all the water out! Decided it was a good excuse to buy some new wheels/tyres - I fancied some belted 2.8s to reduce the ballooning on 3S so have bought another set of Proline Raid wheels, this time with 2.8 Badlands MX28s. Will definitely be taping them up asap!

The evolution of my Slash continues...

1. I really like the clipless body system on my sonís Rustler 4x4 VXL and the nylon roof protection too.

2. I want to stay open-wheeled - less body to get damaged and I like running 2.8ís.

3. I seem to be doing more bashing with my boy now (we have a local skate park and he loves it with the Rusty!) so durability is becoming more important.

I was inspired by radio uncontrolís videos about fitting a Maxx body to a Slash. This seems to fit the bill...

So... end result is Iíve ordered a heavy duty (thicker polycarbonate) clear Maxx body (TRX8914) and all the associated body hardware.

On top of this Iíve ordered Rustler shock towers, Hoss front bumper and Hoss nerf bars. Mineís a LCG chassis, so fingers crossed it all fits!

Just need to decide on the paint job for this one!!

I will post a few pics once I start tinkering, in case it helps others...

RC Qualifier
    Did you vent the tires themselves? A couple holes 180 degrees apart on the center of the tread will work well. Then when you rev it up, it'll shoot the water out.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

RC Racer
    I havenít tried that, I was worried they would self-destruct if I cut holes in them. Worth a try I guess, nothing to lose, thank you!

Keep us posted on your rig’s evolution... can’t wait to see what you come up with!

Have fun and a very merry Christmas season!

RC Racer
    Will do, thanks Squeegie!

Merry Christmas to you too, hereís to 2021 being an improvement over 2020!

RC Racer
    Bit of a work in progress at the moment - my Maxx body and other parts arrived, so Iíve been playing around to get it all to fit. I really wanted to keep the arches aligned to the wheels on the Slash so itís taken a bit of re-engineering!

First up was to fit the clipless system to the inside of the shell and to replace the Slash shock towers with Rustler 4x4 items, then the fun began!

The hole in the front tower is slightly narrower than the tab on the body, so I shaved a couple of mm off the sides of the tab:

To get it sitting in the right position fore-aft I then shaved a couple of mm off the back of the front shock tower:

The back was more involved! Because I want the body sitting right looks-wise the rear clip system is now behind the rear shock tower. I have a cunning plan here but am waiting for parts to arrive! Basically I have chopped the top brace off the shock tower and will use a second rear shock tower (cut down to just the top section) bolted directly to it behind. This should put the strength back in the tower but also put the cross brace far back enough to latch the body onto.

Looks a bit scary in the photo but Iím confident that the finished result will be strong once the second tower upper section is added. Hope that makes sense!

I also had to shave a small amount off the rear body mount to clear the shock tower, but nothing drastic at all:

Still nerf bars to figure out (I have a Hoss set and a Maxx set to play about with) and then bumpers.

The front Rustler bumper sits quite neatly but I may need a bit more protection so Iíve ordered a Hoss one to try. Same goes for rear bumper - the Rustler one fits if I trim the body slightly, but Iím finding it a bit too flexible so have ordered a Hoss one to try.

Hereís how she sits currently - pretty pleased with the look and the rigidity of the heavy duty shell and plastic skeleton is a massive improvement. The tyre clearance with 2.8s also looks to be perfect, no trimming needed, just what I was hoping for!

RC Enthusiast
    Maybe you can try your original slash front bumper see how it looks and if give adequate protection. Looking forward with your evolution

RC Racer
    Whow, that's looking good !
    I like those narrow bodies.
    I have an E-Maxx body on my Slash 4x4.

radio uncontrol has been doing some similar projects
    https://forums.traxxas.com/showthrea...-3-lbs-lighter

RC Racer
    Thanks Gaba, yes the original Slash bumper may work. I also have a cut down RPM one that could maybe work. Plenty of options to try!

StijnH, yes it was radio uncontrol who got me thinking about trying something similar! I just found that the body sat a little bit too far forward for my liking with that setup, so thought Iíd try a few tweaks to move it back a bit. Fingers crossed I can get it to work...

RC Racer
    The Hoss rear bumper and wheelie bar arrived today, so itís been trial fitted...

Itís a bit ugly, but fits neatly and is a lot stiffer than the Rustler version, so should actually work for the intended job! The bumper part tucks neatly just behind the shell, no trimming needed, so pretty happy with this setup at the rear.

Nerf bars next, I think the Maxx ones will fit the best with some minor surgery. Pics to follow! 🪚

Looks like a great build! Any ideas on a paint job yet?

Keep it up!

RC Racer
    Cheers Squeegie, no firm plans yet, but I keep coming back to either a tweak on my old white Martini paint job again, or perhaps something like this would work on the Maxx shell (as Iím a bit of a Jenson Button fan!):

More Googling required!!

Blending/fading would be fun to try with Jenson Button's Sky Racing livery!

RC Racer
    Definitely! Itís almost the perfect excuse to buy an airbrush!

RC Racer

The Evolution of a 4x4 Ultimate

Nerf bars now fitted! I went with Maxx items in the end. They fit at the perfect height on a LCG chassis, no body trimming needed:

I just needed to trim off a small plastic triangle shaped lump from each end:

Then drill 4x holes in the chassis sides to take some M3 flange head bolts, sorted!

Waiting on more parts to arrive now. Happy New Year!!

Last edited by Steeeve; 01-01-2021 at 05:55 AM.

RC Enthusiast

The Evolution of a 4x4 Ultimate

I see now why you move the body back. You what to line the back wheel with the wheel arch, make sense, nicer and now look like a LCG MAXX version. I am looking forward to see the end result happy new year to U2!!

Last edited by gaba; 01-01-2021 at 07:12 AM.

RC Racer
    Thanks Gaba. Yes, three reasons really:

1. It lines the rear arch up with the wheel as you mentioned.
    2. Thereís enough clearance for the front axle at full lock without cutting the body back.
    3. It should give a sensible amount of clearance between the shell and my Hoss front bumper (when it arrives!).

Fingers crossed that it will all come together and give me a neat durable body solution. Iím really impressed at how tough the shell and supporting skeleton are, even before the Shoe Goo and tape has been added!

RC Racer
    Quick update - the rear latching idea works perfectly!

My second Rustler rear shock tower arrived today so I cut it down and trial fitted it. Pleased to report that it puts the stiffness back into the shock mounts and latches the shell perfectly. Phew!

I will bolt this up eventually with 2 fixings per side, but need some more bolts the right length. Just front bumper to sort, then itís on to painting...

RC Enthusiast
    I am getting addicted to this thread... Keep up the good work!
    Monster Sl4sh HCG w/ HW Max10 SCT|Castle 2650Kv

RC Racer
    Thank you! Glad itís of interest, Iíll keep the updates coming then!

RC Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by Slash4x4CZ View Post
    I am getting addicted to this thread... Keep up the good work!
    X2

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast