Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast
    RC Qualifier
    Painting is underway at last on the Maxx shell! [emoji16]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nice... back to Martini livery!
    Creativity is intelligence having fun. -Einstein

RC Qualifier
    Yeah, but with a little twist this time... Really must try something different next time!

RC Competitor
    You managed to get the front sorted?

RC Qualifier
    Not yet - unfortunately my front bumper appears to be lost in the post. Got bored waiting so I decided to get the masking tape out! [emoji16]

RC Racer
    Steeeeeeeeeeeve you have some of the most stunning paint jobs do you use spray paint or airbrush? Also, what brand of paint do you use, and on average how long does each job take you?
    His Glory Alone all the way to the grave.

RC Qualifier
    Wow, thank you! Itís all a bit of fun! Itís all done with spray cans (I use the Tamiya stuff). Really hard to say how long it takes, I just tend to grab an hour here and there.

These Martini stripes are a bit of a pain though. The straight ones are easy but Iím doing some curvy ones down the sides and itís taking ages!! [emoji1787]

Work in progress:

RC Qualifier
    Thank you! Loving it (and enjoying introducing the hobby to the next generation too!). [emoji106]

RC Qualifier
    Another WIP pic - way too much masking with this one! Paused waiting for more paint and masking tape now! [emoji1787]

RC Qualifier
    Still a work-in-progress (waiting on Hoss front bumper and Maxx rear body protector), but here she is in her new clothes...

RC Qualifier
    Wow.. Awesome [emoji122] [emoji122][emoji122]

RC Qualifier
    Thank you!! [emoji16]

RC Qualifier
    Beautiful work Steeeve!

If I had your patience in the paint skills department I would probably lose my job from time spent tinkering on these rigs..Ha!

The measurements and tolerances make a happy medium difficult..you have to adjust on either the front or back end of the body somewhere, just depends on what your after..The latest Maxx paint scheme and the Hoss LED light kit is what motivated me to do another build so I still had to keep the body of my latest build forward or the new LED lights on the rear bumper would be covered by the Maxx body. ( It also appears the new LED bumper is slightly wider side to side than the one it replaces).
    I am familiar with the rear body overhang as I had to do that to a Hoss body on Stampede 4x4 exchange..(below pic)

Again excellent work...Mad props!

Sent from my moto z4 using Tapatalk

RC Qualifier
    Thanks - it was your pics that gave me the confidence to try it... as you say thereís compromise whichever way you do it. The Hoss LED bumpers are next on my list (when thereís finally stock here in the UK!).

I wondered about leaving two rectangles clear on the body for the lights, with without having the kit in my hands it was impossible to mask up in the right place.

So, I think I may try a couple of neat cut-outs in the rear bumper when the time comes. Weíll see!

Yeah, working from home has been great for masking-up time, just out of view of the web cam during meetings! [emoji23]

Just got my Hoss front bumper fitted - the Rustler one looked neat and I preferred the look, but simply not enough protection for the shell. Trimming the heavy duty polycarbonate was harder than I thought! Quite a tidy fit though...

RC Qualifier
    Very sweet..both outside paint lines on the hood line up with the creases in the Hoss bumper..(Almost as if it was planned that way) [emoji6]

I ended up using two LED bullet lights as I had just enough room exposed on the Hoss/Stampede project..
    I tricked out the front bullet lights by hiding them in the unused a arm shock holes..they stay protected because they are still recessed in the Stampede A-arm guards.
    Can't let cumbersome wires get in the way of installing and removing the clipless setup! Lol

Peace in the New Year my friend..you have a quality build with your Maxx project [emoji106]

Sent from my moto z4 using Tapatalk

RC Racer
    Steeve you nailed it again! You should do this as a side business. I think you would get lots of business if you started an ebay store for custom RC bodies.
    His Glory Alone all the way to the grave.

RC Enthusiast
    Awesome work Steeeve!I really enjoyed this build. But from the pictures I can feel that the first rollover will be VERY painful, lol. And I'm a bit curious.. Didn't you say you ordered MX28s for this build? Did you scrap that idea, or they are on their way?
    Monster Sl4sh HCG w/ HW Max10 SCT|Castle 2650Kv

RC Racer
    Can You sell me that martini body for the maxx lol. I LOVE IT SO MUCH
    When You Feel Down Send It To The MOON!!

Awesome fit and paint job... as always!

Keep it up!

RC Qualifier
    I couldn't even force myself to run that body...

RC Competitor
    Steeeve can I send you a RTR body as your beater, I canít bear to see that body get beat up[emoji33][emoji23].
    For the front bumper, maybe t bone racing could be an option[emoji848]

RC Qualifier
    Thanks for all the comments guys!

Radio uncontrol - thatís a really neat idea recessing LEDs into the suspension arms, I love it! [emoji106]

Bashing fo fun - very kind of you to suggest that I could actually sell some of these! Maybe one day, but Iím still learning and improving at the moment, thereís a few small mistakes on this one which bug me to be honest. A good excuse to do another one I guess! [emoji1787]

Slash4x4CZ - definitely! The first roll over is always painful! [emoji23] But this one was built mostly for strength and is a massive improvement over the Proline Bug shells Iíve mostly used in the past, so itíll be interesting to see how it holds up. Yes I have a set of belted 2.8 MX28s on order but there seems to be xero stock about at the moment. Frustrating! Hopefully not too long to wait as I really need them...

Allyeajackvk2 - haha thanks, glad you like it! [emoji4] Canít sell you it Iím afraid as I really need some time driving the thing now, itís been too long in bits!!

Squeegie - thanks for the kind words as always, still trying to live up to your epic build standards!!

Invincibl - yep, know what you mean, first run is always me driving like a grandma, being very cautious... until the first scuff / roll over (typically when my son wants a go!), then Iím totally over it and planning the next one! [emoji23]

Gaba - ha, Iíd be tempted if they made the RTR ones out of the heavy duty polycarbonate! That was the main reason for painting my own, but then I got a bit carried away for a basher! Not seen that T Bone Racing bumper before - good suggestion, that could work... Itís about the only one Iíve not bought! [emoji1787]

Cheers for taking the time to comment guys!

Top bit of learning from this one was that using the Tamiya clear pearl is good at stopping bleed-through under the tape as well as adding a bit of sparkle in the sunshine. It kind of seals the joint before laying down any colour. Still a couple of areas which didnít quite go to plan, but better than past efforts to get clean lines.

More pics soon once I get it out in the dirt...

RC Racer
    Dang guys, this thread is ridiculous, I can't even paint a wall right. Big fan of the Baja body but I had to buy one off eBay already painted. Running stock LCG chassis that I bought used for bashing but went with mounted Pro-line 2.2 Trenchers X insptead ot eh 2.8,s. After looking at these builds I think 2.8" look a lot better with a trimmed body. Thanks for all the ideas.
    Last edited by cooleocool; 01-26-2021 at 03:16 AM. Reason: language abuse

RC Racer
    Awesome, you nailed it again

RC Qualifier
    Thanks guys! Yes I also ran the standard size for a long time. For what I do, I now prefer the 2.8s. Yes, theyíre more likely to break driveline components and the higher centre of gravity changes the handling a bit, but I like the looks and the ease of popping wheelies etc.

Iím now thinking of getting a simple 2WD Slash VXL as well, as a dedicated beach basher (we live on the beach) and that would have 2.8s too - paddles at the rear! Seems like a logical way to make use of all my spare parts!!

RC Racer
    Hey Steve you need to sell me a Maxx body with that martini design. That looks sick
    When You Feel Down Send It To The MOON!!

RC Qualifier
    Haha, glad you like it! Not sure I can face doing another one just now - waaay too much masking for all those stripes!! [emoji1787]

RC Qualifier
    Woohoo, after 3 whole months I managed to get hold of my new Belted MX-28ís! I may finally be able to run this thing at last!

All fitted up with the aluminium centres and bolted on.

Body finally reinforced with drywall tape and shoe goo. It feels like an absolute tank (itís a heavy duty shell too).

Ready for a run this weekend I hope...

Better pics to follow in daylight [emoji16]

Donít forget to take some action shots while your son is bashing your rig!

Have fun!

RC Qualifier
    Them tires are zexy

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

Man! I know that you are proud of your accomplishment! We all sure are
    Member of the 10,000 + posts club! Here to help!

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by Squeegie View Post
    Donít forget to take some action shots while your son is bashing your rig!

Have fun!
    [emoji16] I was hoping Iíd get to bash this myself now that he has a Rustler, but I doubt it! Wonít be looking this shiny for long if he does het his hands on it - this is him in action recently!!

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve g View Post
    Them tires are zexy

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk
    Yeah they look cool, canít wait to see how these perform with the belts...

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by El Sob View Post
    Man! I know that you are proud of your accomplishment! We all sure are
    [emoji16] Thanks El Sob! [emoji106]

Quote Originally Posted by Steeeve View Post
    [emoji16] Thanks El Sob! [emoji106]

You are very welcome! We should be thinking You for your great work
    Member of the 10,000 + posts club! Here to help!

RC Qualifier
    A few daylight pics, pre-bash!

RC Racer
    Very nice paint job, that Maxx shell looks very good on a slash.

RC Qualifier
    Thank you! Itís certainly a bit different, especially with the low CG chassis meaning that itís a lot less tall than a genuine Maxx. Looking forward to getting it muddy now!

RC Racer
    Fraser Valley, British Columbia, Canada-The Wet Coast!
    This is looking amazing! Keep up the good work! Also, add me to the list of people who want to buy one of your Martini bodies!
    Slash 2WD Vision Edition
    200+ posts, here I come!

RC Qualifier
    Haha, I think I have a growing queue of people for these Martini bodies! If only they werenít such a pain to mask up Iíd be tempted to do a few more!

Thanks for the kind words, much appreciated! [emoji106]

Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast