Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678 LastLast
    RC Qualifier

The Evolution of a 4x4 Ultimate

Hmm, starting to have second thoughts about these belted tyres... the extra rotational inertia seems to really have taken some of the Ďpunchí under acceleration away. More than I thought it would. Anyone else found similar?

Guess I could try dropping down a tooth or two on the pinion as a next step...

Still lots of fun though - hereís a few pics from a quick bash around the back garden this evening with my lad doing most of the driving as usual!!

Oops... game over! [emoji23]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Steeeve; 04-16-2021 at 02:43 PM.

Time to get MIP X-Duty CVD and not have the little pin-hole weakness.

Have fun!
    Creativity is intelligence having fun. -Einstein

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by Squeegie View Post
    Time to get MIP X-Duty CVD and not have the little pin-hole weakness.

Have fun!
    Yeah these are the steel HD Traxxas ones but Iíve still broken a couple at the pin hole. Easy fix but still a bit annoying. Are the MIP ones worth the investment do you think?

I run MIPs on both of my Slashes. I had the Tekno M6s on one for a while (no problems with them), but needed the keyed axles of the MIPs to use my 1/5 wheel adaptors.

MIPs are heavy, but my rigs run 2200kV and 2250kV motors (with supporting mods) and handle the added weight with ease.

I would recommend them. I like to beef up my rigs. I want the limiting factor to be me, not my equipment!

Have fun!

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by

[IMG
    https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20210416/dfd168e283a74521f6601f4e72f31b9b.jpg[/IMG]

Awe man! Seeing that pic was like taking a punch to the stomach [emoji45]

Sent from my moto z4 using Tapatalk

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by Squeegie View Post
    I run MIPs on both of my Slashes. I had the Tekno M6s on one for a while (no problems with them), but needed the keyed axles of the MIPs to use my 1/5 wheel adaptors.

MIPs are heavy, but my rigs run 2200kV and 2250kV motors (with supporting mods) and handle the added weight with ease.

I would recommend them. I like to beef up my rigs. I want the limiting factor to be me, not my equipment!

Have fun!
    Thanks Squeegie. To be honest the Traxxas HD steel ones have served me quite well, but maybe the heavier wheel/tyre assemblies are pushing things a bit more... Good to know that youíve been happy with them. Cheers.

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by radio uncontrol View Post
    Awe man! Seeing that pic was like taking a punch to the stomach [emoji45]

Haha, know what you mean, but was easily fixed (I already had spares in stock!!).

RC Racer
    Fraser Valley, British Columbia, Canada-The Wet Coast!
    Quote Originally Posted by Steeeve View Post
    Hmm, starting to have second thoughts about these belted tyres... the extra rotational inertia seems to really have taken some of the Ďpunchí under acceleration away. More than I thought it would. Anyone else found similar?

Guess I could try dropping down a tooth or two on the pinion as a next step...

Still lots of fun though - hereís a few pics from a quick bash around the back garden this evening with my lad doing most of the driving as usual!!

Oops... game over! [emoji23]

That rig looks amazing! Still running the stock electronics? Bummer your axle broke...
    Slash 2WD Vision Edition
    200+ posts, here I come!

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by VisionSlash42 View Post
    That rig looks amazing! Still running the stock electronics? Bummer your axle broke...
    Thank you! Yes, still stock electronics so far, but considering an upgrade when something breaks...

Axle was easily fixed and just caused a bit of an awkward landing. Glad I was organised for once and ordered spares for the toolbox a few months ago!

RC Qualifier
    I fancied a change again!!

Going to rework it back to Fiesta Rally spec for a bit. Gotta love the Slash for being so versatile! It was great fun on gravel with the Hoons fitted and Iím keen to know how it drives with the Hoss centre diff which is now fitted.

This time Iím going to narrow the track to better fit the body. I have ordered shorter turnbuckles (not the fixed plastic links) and shorter lower arms. Just hoping the Traxxas HD driveshafts still fit and donít run out of plunge travel!

From last time:

RC Qualifier
    Sweet!! Details and paint are 'spot-on' with that rig..one of my faves! [emoji106]

RC Qualifier
    Thank you! Iím already thinking about doing another Fiesta bodyshell, but will run the one I have for a while...!

Starting to think about how I can make it a bit more suitable for gravel - inner fenders etc. Weíll see! Suspension parts should arrive tomorrow so I can get on with the wrenching... [emoji16]

Forgot how shiny it looked before I actually used it!! [emoji1787]

RC poster
    I love the color of that Fiesta! What is it?

RC Qualifier
    Its a traxxas Fiesta rally body on a slash 4x4 ultimate

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr.Jones View Post
    I love the color of that Fiesta! What is it?
    Itís Tamiya PS3 Light Blue. [emoji106] I figured it was pretty close to Ford Nitrous Blue [emoji16]

RC Qualifier
    Parts have arrived for my narrow track conversion. Fingers crossed that it all fits!

When converting my "speedster" into a street/dirt (rally-ish) rig, I didn't have to worry about fitment issues since I don't care to run bodies with fenders!

Hope the axle lengths all works out for you as planned!

RC Qualifier
    Yes that would have been far easier!

However, it does all fit with the stock Slash arms, I just fancied trying to get the fit a bit better. I think Iíll also swap the rear hub carriers around to give me less toe-in at the same time. Should add to the sideways fun!! [emoji16]

Sounds good! Overpowering it also adds to the sideways fun as well!

Have a nice day and a great weekend!

RC Qualifier
    Haha, yes Iím working on the justification for that!!

You have a good one too Squeegie!

RC Qualifier
    Well that was a pig of a job! Turns out that the Slash HD steel driveshafts donít fit with narrower rally arms! They run out of plunge travel as I suspected (i.e. as you sweep through the suspension travel they canít shorten enough).

It looks like standard HD plastic shafts would fit as they have more travel, but I didnít want to go back to these, so instead I took a few mm off the ends of the sliding splined portion. Still plenty of material left and Iíve never seen one break at the splines, so thought Iíd give it a go!

End result is I have a track width that fits the Fiesta body way better, steel adjustable turnbuckles and I have managed to keep the HD steel driveshafts, so I think thatís a win!

RC Qualifier
    Good deal! That's legit you were able to keep the steels...I don't think it will ever be an issue..somewhere else will break before that part of it does.. [emoji123]

RC Qualifier
    Haha, I think youíre right - typically the stub axle where the pin goes through! [emoji1787] If they break at the splines Iíll get some MIPs...

Much happier with the wheel-to-body fit this time though. Worth the effort of getting myself a Ďnarrow track kití so itís easy to swap between Slash and Fiesta in future.

Just setting up the geometry before giving it a good bash to check the durability! [emoji16]

RC Qualifier
    Shakedown complete!

Pleased to report that nothing broke and I have a big grin on my face! [emoji16]

Really love this config, lots of fun trying to hold a huge drift without crashing into the house/trees/wife! Canít wait to get it back on a big gravel area again...

Fitment looks great! I knew if it didnít work, you would find a way to make it work!

RC Qualifier
    Thanks Squeegie - where thereís a bench grinder thereís a way!! [emoji1787]

RC Competitor
    Shakedown complete!

Pleased to report that nothing broke and I have a big grin on my face! [emoji16]

Really love this config, lots of fun trying to hold a huge drift without crashing into the house/trees/wife! Canít wait to get it back on a big gravel area again...

Steeve, Iíve always admired your paint jobs. This one looks awesome too. Mind if I ask what youíre using to capture these images???? Are you using a DSLR?

RC Qualifier
    Thanks for the kind words jindap! These latest pics were taken with just my iPhone, nothing fancy. [emoji16] A few of the earlier photos in this thread were taken with my trusty Canon 5D Mk2, but I donít often get around to using it very often...

RC Qualifier
    Hahaha, so much fun! Just been playing a game of ĎRC police chasesí with my boy and I think I lost! [emoji1787]

Not so shiny now, but a real giggle - his Rustler 4x4 VXL vs my Fiesta. Time for a new Fiesta body and for this one to be kept for the rough stuff. Oh and another new stub axle - it took a direct hit from a flying Rustler! [emoji23]

RC Qualifier
    Ouch!

Well now it has a realistic rally car look!..Like after they missed a turn and went off course [emoji2957]

'Stub axle Steeeve' will be your nickname from henceforth. [emoji23][emoji23][emoji23]

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by radio uncontrol View Post

'Stub axle Steeeve' will be your nickname from henceforth. [emoji23][emoji23][emoji23]

[emoji23][emoji23][emoji23] I like it!

Yep, definitely an authentic rally car now!

Just pondering what colour to do the next shell... [emoji848]

RC Qualifier
    Hmm, I know I should move on from Martini paint jobs, but I just found these Ďtribute liveryí pics on the internet. I know itís a Focus but I do think this would work really well on the Fiesta shell... [emoji848]

RC Qualifier
    Ahh SNAP!

<---------:getting popcorn [emoji16]

RC Qualifier
    [emoji16] Itís happening! Bodyshell and some decals now ordered! [emoji106]

RC Competitor
    Hmm, I know I should move on from Martini paint jobs, but I just found these Ďtribute liveryí pics on the internet. I know itís a Focus but I do think this would work really well on the Fiesta shell... [emoji848]

Do you have a link to this body you could share?

I did a 1/16 Slash to Rally conversion last year and this is making me want to do the same with my 1/10.

RC Qualifier

RC Qualifier

The Evolution of a 4x4 Ultimate

A bit more Googling has shown that my Fiesta Martini tribute livery plans are not as unique as I thought! ĎDirt Rally 2í game apparently (nope, never heard of it!):

Either way, a very useful reference! [emoji16]

My plan is to share a few more work-in-progress pics time around, sharing a few tips along the way in the hope that some of it is useful and not too dull! [emoji1787]

I personally always like to sketch out the rough design on the shell first using a dry-wipe marker, just to play around and get the propotions right. Looks naff, but I find it helps for masking up.

Given that I have my basher body available I thought Iíd start doodling on that! When the clear shell arrives Iíll do the same.

Undecided on the LED light bar at the mo... Pretty similar to the 1:1 versions, but still a bit of an ugly lump. I canít decide!

Last edited by Steeeve; 04-28-2021 at 03:01 PM.

RC Qualifier
    Planning to add a few more scale touches to this one - had these Killerbody door handles turn up today and I think they are pretty similar to 1:1 Fiesta items. Should look ok if painted and lacquered to match the body colour...

I also have a bonnet scoop on order, to use as a roof scoop as per the WRC Fiestas. Hoping it fits ok! [emoji51]

RC Qualifier
    Scoop looks like it will be a good fit on the roof after all. Only 4 holes to drill too, no need to cut a big hole, which is a bonus!

Painting some neat Martini stripes over it could prove to be a bit of a challenge though! [emoji1787]

RC Racer
    **** those are so nice, now you making me want to do this hahaha. Btw
    Ever thought of 6s in there?
    It's not that hard actually. Though it is a bit pricey

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk
    The road to a 100mph 2wd slash

Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678 LastLast