RC Enthusiast

Emaxx with Maxx Drivetrain VXL4 540xl 2400kv

Anyone running this setup on an emaxx,i have a 3903 and been running a Novak 4.5 HV on 4s for last 10yrs and its been great,but the novak is getting dated and since out of buiss its hard or expensive to get parts, so i am going to move on,,,my friend pulled his from his maxx and selling it for 150 motor and esc ,i just dont see anyone using this setup, i have only run my emaxx on 4s and its plenty power and speed so i dont see the need for 6s mamba X or vxl 6s, the 6s in my opionion is to much for the emaxx, and i upgraded everything RPM ,,anyway just looking for thoughts if anyone running this and what gearing your using

Thanks Ron

I'd get the MM2 and run it on 4s. I think you'll find that the VXL4 540xl 2400kv will run very hot (at best), and will eventually fail due due to it being made for a lighter truck.

You're right, 6s is to much for a stock E-Maxx, but not for one that has been corrected. I run 6s all the time with no issues, but you do have to put some money into modifying your E-maxx. I understand not everyone wants to do that, so I'd get a ESC and motor that's rated for the size of your E-maxx. That's a Castle MM2, or equivalent.
    Last edited by ReglarGuy; 05-25-2020 at 03:56 PM.
    Better to die a man, than live like a girly-guy.

RC Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by ReglarGuy View Post
    I'd get the MM2 and run it on 4s. I think you'll find that the VXL4 540xl 2400kv will run very hot (at best), and will eventually fail due due to it being made for a lighter truck.

You're right, 6s is to much for a stock E-Maxx, but not for one that has been corrected. I run 6s all the time with no issues, but you do have to put some money into modifying your E-maxx. I understand not everyone wants to do that, so I'd get a ESC and motor that's rated for the size of your E-maxx. That's a Castle MM2, or equivalent.
    Hey RegularGuy

Thanks for the reply..good to get some feedback..i hear where your coming from with the 6s ,mine is not much of original parts diffs are same but everthing is rpm and this and that..but as a personal choice i still only run 4s and its plenty for me,,,and my Novak system is only rated for 4s,,,when i bought the novak i called them and had the pleasure to speak to bob Novak,,great guy shame there gone,,but he told me they do not recoment the 4.5 for the emaxx,,which originally it was sold just for the emaxx lol i was like what ,,,with that said he told me what gearing to use ,i forget what the numbers r for the spur and pinion,but i have run it and still run it for over 10 yrs and never had it thermal...it has tons of bottom end and will top around 40-45 never gps it,,,but from running other with osd on them i am close

As far as the weight of the maxx and emaxx i thought they both come in at 9.7lbs..so the emaxx is not as heavy as a erevo and as far as the specs i read line up with the maxx,,,

Any comments welcome just trying to get some imput on gearing and setting this up..looking for the same performance as the novak, but what i like about the VXL series is the waterproofing ,,there is none with novak,,but this is a old setup ,, with testament to Novak still running strong.... i bought it if it does not workout i can throw it on the rustler or slash well see

One thing i will miss with the novak that it is sensored for smooth starts,,well see how the vxl4 does it is non sensored...if i go with anything it will be the monster x 2200 which is also sensored and i think 30 bucks more than the MM2 and has few more features

Thanks Ron
    Last edited by snoopy3440; 05-25-2020 at 05:26 PM.

From reading your latest reply, I was going to say that you should try out that new Castle sensored system. I hear good things about it. I, myself, don't mind the MM2 non sensored offerings, and it's waterproof too. I'd definitely go with the new Castle sensored setup before I went with a Maxx motor and ESC. Good luck, though, with what ever you choose.

P.S. I've always heard that the E-Maxx was 13lbs, but I've never actually weighed a stock E-Maxx. I will say, after seeing a E-Maxx and Maxx (when the Maxx first came out) side by side at my (LHS), I'd be shocked if they both weighed the same. But, like I say, I've never weighed both of them to know for sure.
    Last edited by ReglarGuy; 05-26-2020 at 04:16 AM.

RC Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by snoopy3440 View Post
    Hey RegularGuy

Thanks for the reply..good to get some feedback..i hear where your coming from with the 6s ,mine is not much of original parts diffs are same but everthing is rpm and this and that..but as a personal choice i still only run 4s and its plenty for me,,,and my Novak system is only rated for 4s,,,when i bought the novak i called them and had the pleasure to speak to bob Novak,,great guy shame there gone,,but he told me they do not recoment the 4.5 for the emaxx,,which originally it was sold just for the emaxx lol i was like what ,,,with that said he told me what gearing to use ,i forget what the numbers r for the spur and pinion,but i have run it and still run it for over 10 yrs and never had it thermal...it has tons of bottom end and will top around 40-45 never gps it,,,but from running other with osd on them i am close

As far as the weight of the maxx and emaxx i thought they both come in at 9.7lbs..so the emaxx is not as heavy as a erevo and as far as the specs i read line up with the maxx,,,

Any comments welcome just trying to get some imput on gearing and setting this up..looking for the same performance as the novak, but what i like about the VXL series is the waterproofing ,,there is none with novak,,but this is a old setup ,, with testament to Novak still running strong.... i bought it if it does not workout i can throw it on the rustler or slash well see

One thing i will miss with the novak that it is sensored for smooth starts,,well see how the vxl4 does it is non sensored...if i go with anything it will be the monster x 2200 which is also sensored and i think 30 bucks more than the MM2 and has few more features

Thanks Ron
    I run a Hobbywing ESC (don't recall which one, but it's blue and 120amp i believe) and a Leopard 2200kv motor that's good up to 6s. With this combo I can run it at 2s, 3s, 4s, 5s or 6s. I have ran Emaxx at all of these power settings.

Once I reached 4s and was comfortable with that power level, I decided to push past 4s and move to 5s power. That is when parts began to fail. First it was the driveshafts. Then it was the differential's pinion shaft bearings. Then the differential cases.

I learned that a stock Emaxx was reliable for 4s power. After that power, the stock components are not up for the task.

I decided to prepped my Emaxx for 6s. Thus that had me upgrade the differential's to Fastlane Machine (FLM) one piece bulkhead and differential housings, called hybrid bulks. http://www.fastlanemachine.net/prodd...?prod=FLM17700. Add these built diffs, plus Traxxas steel CVDs, aluminum shock towers and a set of HD custom shocks from a company that use to machine tons of custom Emaxx parts that is no longer in business, upgraded all bearings in transmission and you have one near bullet proof drive train.

I haven't brought it out to drive in a few years now. It will probably need two new steering servos and new tires. I would like to upgrade the motor as well. It's a marvel of a machine. I'd never sell it. Too much money and many hours of time put into it to get rid of it.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Edited for language abuse. If you see a starred out word in your post, you must edit it out to avoid earning warning points.
    Last edited by cooleocool; 05-27-2020 at 10:27 AM.

I learned that a stock Emaxx was reliable for 4s power. After that power, the stock components are not up for the task.
    You're right about that, but the Emaxx is a easy truck to mod in order for it to be reliable at 6s.

It's a marvel of a machine. I'd never sell it. Too much money and many hours of time put into it to get rid of it.
    I didn't have to put that much money into mine for it to stand up to 6s. A long story short, I used oil filled bushing for my diff's pinion gears, repacked all my stock bearings with marine grade grease, and reconfigured and shimmed my axles and drive shafts (a certain way) to minimize the wear. I did posts on all this stuff, and I (others too) have had awesome luck with it. All done for a very reasonable price. I seen others go the Fast Lane way. It's a great mod, but way to expensive for me.

The reason why I'm mentioning this, is not to be a smarty pants (I'm sure your truck is unquestionably awesome), but just to let others know that you can 6s the Emaxx for a reasonable price (and, a lot less work).
    Last edited by ReglarGuy; 05-26-2020 at 03:09 PM.

RC Enthusiast
    Thanks for the reply

Regularguy Yea that's exactly what i thought with the weight,,i didn't exactly scale them but got the numbers by looking up my model specs and the Maxx specs so they both came in at 9.7 i assume both without batteries,,,,

I will have to check out how u did the shimming on the driveshafts,that is an art itself,,and a pita..i shimmed some diffs i rebuilt and it it was time consuming to get it right ..i am running traxxas cvd on the center but stock driveshafts all around.

Your Right ,for me if this does not work out its going to be the Mamba X sensored,, if im already spending that much for the MM2 might as well go couple bucks more for the X ,,with that said my friend runs the MM2 non sensored and i have driven it and did not notice a big difference from my sensored Novak to his MM2 ..even if it does workout i still might get the X LOL its only money LOL dont let wife here that... i just like castle .. Run lot of there esc and bec in my fixed wing and never had a problem..

laajmalek ..I checked out your link the FLM are some serious diff and bulkheads ..i think they should stand up to anything ,,but like i said im just looking for 4s,,i just Rebuilt my diffs and put in RPM bulks and Shocktowers so im good to go...
    as far as the Hobbywing ,i read a lot of good things about them and was checking out the EZRUN MAX 8 COMBO... but i just have a bad taste from hobbywing,,bought some of there motors yrs ago when they just came on the market i think from hobbyparts ..got them for my Planes and first one had bad bearing ...at that time there was eflite Scorpion and others that were more expensive but i thought let me try a cheaper motor, lol i cheeped out...and got banged with a bad motor on first one, so can i say they r bad..no i hear lots of good about them but and im sure it was my luck i could have gotten a bad scorpion to but i didnt lol,, so thats why im shooting for the castle..i think the X is a hundred more but i like castle you can call and someone will pick up and give you an answer ,,,anyway just my preference dont want to knock hobbywing if others are running them without problems.

Thanks for the input.. i have the Maxx Motor and ESC on the bench,,,,new meets old. LOL i was looking at the VXL4 specs and hefty 10amp bec Continuous 20 amp peak..that will work,, one thing i dont like is all the blue,,haven't had that much blue in my emaxx since the original 550 titan and EVX2..LOL going to play around with it over the next week with the gearing and see how it goes ,,just curious now since no one else seems to be running this setup ,,if it doesn't work out i will be 300 bucks poorer cause im just going to order the X if it ever comes in stock ..LOL i think i will like the Big X and the green in there better than all this blue candy LOL

Thanks Ron

Man, 300 bucks for a X combo. The MM2 you can get for less than 150 bucks. Good luck with what ever you decide, though, and let us know how that Max setup works when you try it out.

RC Enthusiast
    I forgot to mention that I fixed the constant bent control arm hinge pins issue. I went with Ejector pins. They do not bend. Too much stress on them will only allow them to break. Here is where to buy them at: http://www.pcs-company.com/viewcateg...n/Ejector-Pins

Also, in regards to that Leopard sensorless brushless motor I use. I replaced the stock bearings in it with some Avid Racing ceramic bearings. This motor has stood up to a lot of serious hard core runs. It propels my Emaxx to 55 MPH with a 23t pinion. I have not tried a larger pinion to increase the speed. Honestly, it does not need to go faster. It's a handful at those speeds.

I've actually thought about going to an all aluminum chassis. It would definitely compliment the look and the other parts, but I think having the stock plastic chassis has provided some cushion in the suspension and will allow some forgiveness in a hard spill or unfortunate crash.

Like i said, I love the thing. Lol. It's a keeper.

Edited for language abuse. If you see a starred out word in your post, you must edit it out to avoid earning warning points.
    Last edited by cooleocool; 05-27-2020 at 10:28 AM.

RC Enthusiast
    Man, 300 bucks for a X combo. The MM2 you can get for less than 150 bucks. Good luck with what ever you decide, though, and let us know how that Max setup works when you try it out.
    LOL Thats RC for ya,,,well thats on castles site its 274 combo,,maybe a few bucks cheaper elsewhere,,you must have bought yours yrs ago cause the MM2 combo is 224,..but the point is moot there out of stock everwhere..

Back to my little Emaxx experiment..ok so i had some time to play today,and was pleasantly surprised with the VLX4..first changed out the traxxas for deans,,i use deans on all my batts so i chucked traxxas...took of my trusty Novak setup,,which is still running strong,and i had a few tears removing this reliable setup...LOL..

VLX4 was basically plug and play.. i thought i would have to drill the Chassis..but to my surprise it lined up where the old EV2 used to sit,,the Novak sat on the 2 elevated holes in front of those,,i used screws i had laying around same thread but had to be a bit longer to go threw the fan on top of the esc,,,also had to make a short extension from the futaba type connector traxxas uses with the little slot on to a jr connector since im running a spectrum 6 channel SRS 6000 AVC..and that rx does not use the futaba ,,,It would just reach but it had a bit of stress so i just made a 2 inch futaba to jr and it was done,,,,

I started easy, it was a good day to test it was warm 80 something and humid,,,so the temps shoud go right up doing speed runs and running in heavy grass,,..i started with a 14 pinion with stock 68 spur on 3s 50c..on this setup speed was low i say 30 at best but it had plenty bottom and ran some long speed runs and brought it back to temp it ,,i was surprised it was in to low 90 then stated hammering it in the grass and speed runs stayed the same,,i have to note when i bought this it did not come with the stock heatsink, fan for the motor only esc,,i sniped on on ebay heastsink ,fan and motor mount for maxx 17 bucks and it shows up in the mail while i was wiring this up,,,i think this helped a lot since its a nice fan and heatsink...

went to 4s same pinion sprur setup ,..same heavy running and more power but top end lagged,,,and temps were in the hi 90..changed to a 16 pinion and it woke up a bit but still lacking on the top end but better and after hammering it tems were 105--110.. my last pinion i had left in my parts was a 22.. i was going to change spur i had a couple smaller ones but i thought ill try this first.. this is the one,,man it really woke it up plenty bottom end and wheelies on demand and top end i would say somewhere around 45.. now this was at 6 at night and temps cooled to about 70 but i hammered the crap out of it and every time i temp it i was in the 105 -110 range ,,never got hot to the touch,,,running my novak i would have to give it a break it would heat up,,i had no fan on motor on that only esc but it did have a big heatsink..so i was pleasantly surprise how well this setup did..i might even go down to a 20 pinion that might be the sweet spot for me ,,when i was doing high speed run the tires were starting to look like small plates lol

To sum it up ya im real happy the way its running..more that enough power-speed and stays nice and cool..i thought it would thermal but i never even came close,,it has protection built in for over voltage and thermal..these four led blink if it hits either but nada i was waiting to see it but nothing just kept hammering and stayed cool.

One thing i do miss with the Novak is all the setting and parameters you can set,,the VXL r just Plain vanilla, cant change much other than the 3 profiles,,novak was loaded with setting, throttle curve ,dragbrake, deadband,, motor rotation..more than i can remember ,also you could set for lipo cutoff or run NiMH,,with the VXL4 it only lipo with lipo cuttoff i thought you could change it like some of the velineon by holdiing the button for 10 seconds but it does not work and i read the manual for the maxx it is not recommended using NIMH...i use lipo so its no biggie but for someone who wants to know there it is,,,,so for 150 bucks o and 17 for motor fan and heatsink ,im happy so far..and i finally got full waterproof ,,something Novak lacked,,like today i was running in tall wet grass and it was soaked,i couldn't do that with Novak..and i put a crap load of liquid tape over everthing but still never trusted it,,,so for now ill keep hammering it and keep you posted,,still dont like all that blue candy look in there,LOL maybe in the fall ill be in for a castle if they ever come in stock

Thanks Ron

RC Enthusiast
    One thing i forgot to mention was what i was a bit worried about was sensored vrs non sensored ..i was used to that buttery smooth start from the novak but the VXL was not bad,,at very slow start it would cog a bit but nothing noticeable or annoying,,,most of the time was just punching it but i did test it and it was a non issue ,,since it is a monter truck and not a slow rock climber its not a problem since most of the time the throttle is being mashed lol

I have some pics of the setup if someone wants to see them,,its a Pain here they have to be hosted somewhere then link the url,,im spoiled from the rc groups you just drop them from the drive..but if need be ill sign up for flikr or one of them and post them

Thanks Ron
    Last edited by snoopy3440; 05-27-2020 at 09:06 PM.

Sure, pictures would be great!

RC Enthusiast
    Sure, pictures would be great!
    I knew you would say that..LOL ill see what i can do,,gotta get a hosting place then i upload them

Ron

RC Enthusiast
    One thing i forgot to mention was what i was a bit worried about was sensored vrs non sensored ..i was used to that buttery smooth start from the novak but the VXL was not bad,,at very slow start it would cog a bit but nothing noticeable or annoying,,,most of the time was just punching it but i did test it and it was a non issue ,,since it is a monter truck and not a slow rock climber its not a problem since most of the time the throttle is being mashed lol

I have some pics of the setup if someone wants to see them,,its a Pain here they have to be hosted somewhere then link the url,,im spoiled from the rc groups you just drop them from the drive..but if need be ill sign up for flikr or one of them and post them

Thanks Ron
    Wanna race?

Quote Originally Posted by laajmalek View Post
    Wanna race?
    He only competes with the Red Barron...he, he, he.

RC Enthusiast
    Here we go hope this works..

https://www.flickr.com/photos/emaxxvxl/shares/N119Am

You can see the fan on the motor is off to the side so if i have a rollover it wont be destroyed..its sits low in the maxx and its not a problem ,but seems to work fine,,all the extra wire in there is for the leds and a electronic switch to activate them from the TX,,,and i added the original EV2 and Novak system as you can see they are both dated specially novaK with all the wiring and external bec hanging..but it still runs like a beast,,Bob Novak and family had some great products

Hope link works Ron

RC Enthusiast
    Here we go hope this works..

https://www.flickr.com/photos/emaxxvxl/shares/N119Am

You can see the fan on the motor is off to the side so if i have a rollover it wont be destroyed..its sits low in the maxx and its not a problem ,but seems to work fine,,all the extra wire in there is for the leds and a electronic switch to activate them from the TX,,,and i added the original EV2 and Novak system as you can see they are both dated specially novaK with all the wiring and external bec hanging..but it still runs like a beast,,Bob Novak and family had some great products

Hope link works Ron
    Nice looking Emaxx. Question though. Where did you get that checkered flag body at? I have one new Emaxx body that has the black n white impregnated decals in the body that needs to be painted. Im thinking my paint scene will blue, orange and fade to black on the rear. I hear the Emaxx bodies aren't easy to come by anymore.

RC Enthusiast
    Hey Laajmalek

Thanks , the blue body is my bashing one..its showing wear and like u said they r hard to come buy..but that is not checkered paint,,its ducktape thats checkered..i started using it to reinforce things on planes,and thats what its doing on there..some plastic started cracking and i added it to hold it tight, i just used black gorilla tape on spots on inside,but the checkered looks better outside,,,you can get it at home depot or hardware store they have tons different graphics on tape now,,,yrs ago duck tape only came in grey,,,LOL glad those time r gone it was boring ..the red body is my cruising speed run one,,im trying to keep it nice but im hoping after all this covid and things get back to normal a bit and hobby shops open maybe find one hanging in the corner somewhere ,,,if not get a tmaxx body and cover the holes

Thanks Ron

RC Enthusiast
    Hey Laajmalek

Thanks , the blue body is my bashing one..its showing wear and like u said they r hard to come buy..but that is not checkered paint,,its ducktape thats checkered..i started using it to reinforce things on planes,and thats what its doing on there..some plastic started cracking and i added it to hold it tight, i just used black gorilla tape on spots on inside,but the checkered looks better outside,,,you can get it at home depot or hardware store they have tons different graphics on tape now,,,yrs ago duck tape only came in grey,,,LOL glad those time r gone it was boring ..the red body is my cruising speed run one,,im trying to keep it nice but im hoping after all this covid and things get back to normal a bit and hobby shops open maybe find one hanging in the corner somewhere ,,,if not get a tmaxx body and cover the holes

Thanks Ron
    Yeah. I just searched fleabay...nothing. I came across these indestructible bodies for it, but they come in either a solid flat black or flat blue. I guess that is where stickers would come into play. Then I saw this open concept arched cage. It looks weird but kind of cool at the same time.

Here are the links:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/153262901295
    https://www.ebay.com/itm/153262901283
    https://www.ebay.com/itm/202390755646

RC Enthusiast
    He only competes with the Red Barron...he, he, he.

LOL thats my favorite christmas song snoopy red barron...i had a beagle years ago she is long gone and of course i had to have deep thought what to name her and i just looked at her and said thats snoop, lol but since it was a girl i spelled it snoopi with an I, my acct goes back so when i was looking for a user name i thought of her but spelled it snoopy and of course million others had that name so i just made up some numbers

hope you enjoy the pics i went to flickr to make an acct and i entered my email and it said already used ,,im like what so of course i said send me a password and when i logged in i saw the pics from 09 ,that were mine lol..cant believe they stayed there that long since this is the first time i logged into that acct since 09, but it was another experiment, i had a tmaxx 3.3 and was getting tired of nitro and my nitro buddies bailed for electric so i did a tmaxx to electric conversion,,that did not work out,,tmaxx was chassis was not setup for electric ,,first it was aluminum and i had to make ton of cuts for the motor and battery to fit and the center of gravity was off everything sat high so i put it back to nitro and sold it...now after seeing the picks i kinda miss that nitro ,,it was a pain with all the tuning but once it was setup i loved the sound and the smell of the nitro also loved hearing it shift it was a 2 speed and it would rev high then drop into the second gear..lol o well gotta move on

Ron

RC Enthusiast
    The bodies dont do anything me and that is a bold statement saying indestructible..i never saw anything indestructible on a monster truck specially you guys with the 6s

but i did like the cage but it would be better if you could stick a body over it kinda be like reinforced like on the maxx

Ron

RC Enthusiast
    Wow, I wish I knew about the FLM hybrid bulkheads when I was upgrading my 3908 with the original Mamba Monster, although I've heard the stock diffs on the Brushless model are rock solid.

I need to weigh mine now to see how it compares. I've got aluminum bumpers, bulkheads, suspension towers, chassis braces, and a roll cage. Plus the T-Bone racing front & rear braces, with wheelie bar. MIP X-Duty steel driveshafts in the rear, Traxxas steel in the front (until they break..) I've got the Integy MSR5 super duty shocks with VG Racing 12 ppi springs mixed with Lunsford titanium springs. This beauty sat in storage for about 8 years and recently came back out to play.

I find the 2S batteries are fun, but lacking. I'm also working on getting the gearing right for general use.

I'll post the weight later in case anyone is interested.

RC Enthusiast
    I have more pictures of this thing somewhere. But this will give you a pretty good idea of what mine looks like.

RC Enthusiast
    My E-Maxx weighs 13.6 pounds without batteries and 15.2 pounds with batteries. Considering swapping out the aluminum chassis braces and skid plates for stock. I recently added the T-Bone chassis braces and I think that might be enough protection.

RC Enthusiast
    Hey laajmalek

That is sweet..those bulks and towers look like they can take a nuclear blast and not miss a beat..LOL
    The motor setup is sweet looks like mine but different color..you said early post you run a 23 pinion .is that with the stock spur being 68..i was hammering mine this morning and it was hot and humid ,,my novak would have to take a break to cool but this just kept going and never got over 114.. I have the stock 68 spur and with the 22 i cannot go any bigger maybe 23..but man she is moving now and like you said faster will be a handful..i have a 58 and 62 spur i might try a 65 ,dont have one ill have to order it ,i think that will bring me up to around 50mph and i have plenty room since its running so cool ,,but not sure if i want it that fast its hauling the mail now..so well see ...i had a 3.3 tmaxx and all my nitro buddies left nitro for electric so i converted the tmaxx with a brushless and was way over geared ,,i did speed runs with gps and hit 78mph motor was smoking hot ..the tires were like pizza pie and if i make one mistake and rolled it ,it would have disintegrated at that speed,,lol after that i thought this is stupid and got the emaxx and geared it to run about 40..ill see i might drop a 65 spur and see what happens but yea let me know what spur you are running..

Emaxxed...

Thanks for posting the weight .. when i started this adventure with the VXL i was looking for weights of emaxx and if you google mine 3903 the specs come up Weight: 155.2oz (4.4kg) which is 9.7 and change.. same as the maxx
    Thats why i thought this combo would be no problem on the Emaxx since they are spec at same weight..im going to have to scale mine and see... is yours bone stock now im curious.. either way this VXL4s setup has no problem pushing my emaxx around,,like i said earlier i hammered in the heat and didnt ever break a sweat im runiing 2 2650 4s in parallel ..the bats were just a bit warm at the end nothing to concern about and about same runtime if not better than the novak ,,but as Regular guy said i thought the emaxx was heavier till i read the specs but never really scaled it

Thanks Ron

RC Enthusiast
    I listed the upgraded parts in an earlier post. Forgot to mention the Proline Big Joe tires.

RC Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by Emaxx'ed View Post
    I listed the upgraded parts in an earlier post. Forgot to mention the Proline Big Joe tires.
    He Emaxxed

Sorry lol yes you did .ill check it out

Thanks Ron

Sure is a clean truck. A nice looking truck too. How do you bash that beast, and keep it so clean? Do you bash on outdoor carpet? (lol)

RC Enthusiast
    Hey RegularGuy

Not sure if you mean mine or Laajmalek..Mine just got a going over, i had everything apart and upgraded all RPM did maintenance on trans and diffs over last couple months..so she is in good shape Blue body is beat but tape is reinforcing and hiding a lot ,,with that said i don't kill the emaxx ,i take in the mud ,on the beach, Dirt. wherever then spend hrs cleaning ,lubing and upgrading ,lol..That is how i wound up with this post, i have not been out bashing emaxx as much,,just no time lately,,,then corona hit so i was off and my son was off from school and my neighbor was off so i upgraded my son from his VXL Mini Erevo to a Rustler VXL 4x4 ,neighbor sees it he buys Same Rustler ,other neighbor pulls out his 3908 brushless,..i built some ramps and next thing you know ,arms broke ,,bulkhead snaps,shock tower gone, blown front bearing in Novak, lol ..Lucky i had a extra set, then the ordering of parts started..but had a blast hammering it and rebuiding,,, so went to castle site and all back ordered i went to plan B when the VXL4s popped up ..Now after all this upgrading and bashing ,rebuilding. i think im taking another route with my Emaxx.. When i got the emaxx i hammered it like any normal new Emaxx owner would ,,then my son got tired of running and friends didnt have time so i was limited to just playing at house, so speed runs and light bashing,i live on a acre so i have room and i back up to 200 acre of woods which is a blast for fpv,,,im also into fixed wing and quad fpv,,, so in the winter When it was freezing out and RC is dead i would pull the novak off and put the EV2 back for waterproofing and setup Emaxx for FPV running NIMH ,,25mph is plenty fast doing fpv,,i set it up with Pan and tilt camera front,,,backup rear camera,OSD with gps, for speed, Volts and Heading, Get Disoriented quick in high brush ,and a dragon link for the Control, sitting in a warm house either with fatsharks on or hooked to tv and have a blast with the emaxx all winter..
    So this brings me back to where i want to go with the emaxx, first off i love my Emaxx (wife says i should marry it lol) i will never get rid of it .i love doing the fpv in winter but having a blast bashing it again in the warm weather ...but this is also a dated and classic platform ,,,and i really don't want to bash it to death,,( goes back to i love my Emaxx)..i like wrenching with the emaxx as much as driving and there r tons that can be done with it body,parts,u name it,,,
    So since my VXL4 worked out well and in my opinion has no problem running the emaxx,,im going to leave that on and forget the MMX your right 300 is a lot ..The VXL is outperforming the Novak and gives me waterproof so im happy camper with that,..

SO here is my plan,,after watching my son and neighbor hammer their rustlers and doing 10 ft high jumps and horrible landings and going end over end and just get up and take it, other Neighbor with the 3908 is out of service waiting for parts from jumping and busting something LOL Im going to take the 300 and put it towards a Maxx,, nice red one,,
    This will be something i am not in love with and can hammer it all day,, which from what i see and read is pretty durable with the tub type chassis and was told by a shop owner traxxas uses a stronger plastic on the new models,so i will not feel bad launching it 10ft into air LOL,,i think the Maxx is way more durable than the Emaxx,, i know you can upgrade to bulletproof it but by then i can by 3 Maxx lol.. So the plan is the Emaxx will be my Cruiser, light basher, Speed Run, and FPV winter driver ,,,and the Maxx will be all out bash go crazy,,lol

I also just weighted my emaxx after seeing his post with the weight, mine comes in at 9.9 lbs no batts,,standard talons with chrome removed LOL never liked the chrome, and proline tires cost more than my silverado tires, i like the black mad max look, and just RPM upgrades,,bulks, shocktowers, body mounts, A arms, Center shafts Traxxas cvd's,,and traxxas big bore shocks also rpm bumpers front and rear and all 3 rpm skid plates,and leds but the led's is nothing as far as weight,,grams matter on a plane but not on this LOL so thats my summer plan

Thanks Ron
    Last edited by snoopy3440; 05-31-2020 at 07:35 AM.

I'm going to take the $300 and put it towards a Maxx...nice red one.
    Trader! (lol)

I also, just weighted my Emaxx after seeing his post with the weight, mine comes in at 9.9lbs no batts.
    I wonder why your 3903 E-Maxx only weighs only 10 pounds. There can't be that big of a difference between the old ones and the last newest models. Mine's the first of the last model, and it's the spec's Emaxx posted...what a strange, strange world we live in. (lol)

I guess that's why that Maxx setup is working out well for you. If you would of been 13+ pounds, you would probably ran into trouble. Good luck with your Maxx when you get it!

Yes, Mr. Laajmalek has a very nice clean truck too. I was just noticing the other day, that you guys didn't have any rock marks or any kind of scaring on any of your plastics. So, I was curious what environments you guys like to bash in. I like to bash at construction sites.
    Last edited by ReglarGuy; 05-31-2020 at 03:33 PM.

I wonder why your 3903 E-Maxx only weighs only 10 pounds. There can't be that big of a difference between the old ones and the last newest models. Mine's the first of the last model, and it's the spec's Emaxx posted...what a strange, strange world we live in. (lol)
    Emaxx'ed has added aluminum parts to his:
    Quote from Emaxx'ed "I need to weigh mine now to see how it compares. I've got aluminum bumpers, bulkheads, suspension towers, chassis braces, and a roll cage. Plus the T-Bone racing front & rear braces, with wheelie bar. MIP X-Duty steel driveshafts in the rear, Traxxas steel in the front (until they break..) I've got the Integy MSR5 super duty shocks with VG Racing 12 ppi springs mixed with Lunsford titanium springs."

I guess that's why that Maxx setup is working out well for you. If you would of been 13+ pounds, you would probably ran into trouble.
    The Maxx motor is actually bigger than one might think. The case is 70mm long by 40mm diameter. It's only 5mm shorter than the 2200 motor. I would consider it an 1/8 scale motor.
    The 2400kv is a good match for 4s voltage.

RC Enthusiast
    Trader! (lol)

I guess that's why that Maxx setup is working out well for you. If you would of been 13+ pounds, you would probably ran into trouble. Good luck with your Maxx when you get it!

Yes, Mr. Laajmalek has a very nice clean truck too. I was just noticing the other day, that you guys didn't have any rock marks or any kind of scaring on any of your plastics. So, I was curious what environments you guys like to bash in. I like to bash at construction sites.
    Well...that body has plenty of concrete rash on it...trust me...It has plenty of wide open spots where the plastic is gone. The rest of the components however are not scratched or beat up. I usually just replace body posts and some tierod ends from those long end over end spills.

I run it on concrete road, grass and some dirt. An air compressor and some auto interior cleaning products clean up the truck pretty well. I stay far away from large water and heavy mud. I need some Proline tires and wheels. These are what I am waiting on:
    https://www.prolineracing.com/tires/...es-mounted.asp

The belted tires are definitely needed.
    I have brand new Traxxas Emaxx body in the package still. Just needs to be painted. I cant find anymore of them anywhere.

I have brand new Traxxas Emaxx body in the package still. Just needs to be painted. I cant find anymore of them anywhere.
    I still see them around, but if you want an alternative give this a try. You can use Slash bodies, and Slash bodies are all over the place.

I made the bumpers, and the adapters. If you want, I can show you how to make them.
    Last edited by ReglarGuy; 06-01-2020 at 04:08 AM.

RC Enthusiast
    -----Trader! (lol)

Hey RegularGuy ...LOL Good one but just the opposite, it show my love for the Emaxx,,,my choice for hammering something was the rustler VXL 4x4 or the Maxx since my son and neighbor have the rustler i went with the maxx,,,the maxx really doesnt do anything for me other than i hope its strong and can take some 10ft launches in the air, lol,,,its clearance is not great, it sits high in the center but low at the diffs...i dont like the stupid way they did the plastic 17 hex on the wheels,,i personally dont like the tub chassis but it looks durable and if not i can use it as a spittoon for my dip lol,,,the tires are smaller than the Emaxx..the body latch doesn't bother me i kinda like that its reinforced with the skeleton ,,but on same note there are no aftermarket or different bodies like you just pointed out,,,putting a slash or a chevy or old ford PU body on the Emaxx...your locked in to a Proprietary traxxas body with latches,,,few other things that i dont like i forget ,,,but what i read its durable,,well see..i usually never buy something to take out and destroy well not destroy but beat up pretty good..few planes i did not like that i had purchased and did the same thing...so this will be my hammer truck my Emaxx will always be the centerfold Beauty and will get a regular workout but nothing stupid

On that note i ordered the Maxx in Redx yesterday from traxxas,,,i wanted red but everyone was out of stock on all colors,,,orange definitely not for me so traxxas had the redx.. Had to sell this as fathers day and bday gift to Mrs ..Bday is sept,,so had to do lot of selling ,,,to cold to run,,to busy at work u know the regular stuff lol..i hated paying xtra 20 buck traxxas sells them for 549.00 and also tax LOL so should be here this week

No Upgrades and tinkering with maxx just whats needed, that still reserved for the Emaxx.. this is all Hammer time
    was going to add the led kit but i read that its pretty weak ,,looks cool but way overpriced,,you can get some leds on ebay and electric switch for remote operation all for bout 25 bucks and drill and add to bumpers,,,that's all i will add to this, i like running at dusk when i come home from work and its easier to see at distance..

--------The Maxx motor is actually bigger than one might think. The case is 70mm long by 40mm diameter. It's only 5mm shorter than the 2200 motor. I would consider it an 1/8 scale motor.
    The 2400kv is a good match for 4s voltage------

Exactly here are some specs for the ecs and motor..

----https://amr-rc.com/1-10-maxx-with-4s-esc-orange-4wd-brushless.html

My Emaxx with this setup on 4s is perfect 22/68 pinion and spur..i actually order the 65 spur but dont even think im going to use it,,thing has plenty speed and toque and even on the hot day has not gone past 114 so im happy and waterproofed..probly will leave this on for winter FPV since it is waterproof just set it to training mode to slow it down a bit when doing FPV

sorry for long post,,i like to talk im told LOl,,,,but just looking at those slash bodies they look awesome i might have to get one,,,i was going to get an aftermaket vw beatle or old ford PU from proline but im liking the slash with those brute bumpers

Thanks Ron

RC Enthusiast
    -----Trader! (lol)

Hey RegularGuy ...LOL Good one but just the opposite, it show my love for the Emaxx,,,my choice for hammering something was the rustler VXL 4x4 or the Maxx since my son and neighbor have the rustler i went with the maxx,,,the maxx really doesnt do anything for me other than i hope its strong and can take some 10ft launches in the air, lol,,,its clearance is not great, it sits high in the center but low at the diffs...i dont like the stupid way they did the plastic 17 hex on the wheels,,i personally dont like the tub chassis but it looks durable and if not i can use it as a spittoon for my dip lol,,,the tires are smaller than the Emaxx..the body latch doesn't bother me i kinda like that its reinforced with the skeleton ,,but on same note there are no aftermarket or different bodies like you just pointed out,,,putting a slash or a chevy or old ford PU body on the Emaxx...your locked in to a Proprietary traxxas body with latches,,,few other things that i dont like i forget ,,,but what i read its durable,,well see..i usually never buy something to take out and destroy well not destroy but beat up pretty good..few planes i did not like that i had purchased and did the same thing...so this will be my hammer truck my Emaxx will always be the centerfold Beauty and will get a regular workout but nothing stupid

On that note i ordered the Maxx in Redx yesterday from traxxas,,,i wanted red but everyone was out of stock on all colors,,,orange definitely not for me so traxxas had the redx.. Had to sell this as fathers day and bday gift to Mrs ..Bday is sept,,so had to do lot of selling ,,,to cold to run,,to busy at work u know the regular stuff lol..i hated paying xtra 20 buck traxxas sells them for 549.00 and also tax LOL so should be here this week

No Upgrades and tinkering with maxx just whats needed, that still reserved for the Emaxx.. this is all Hammer time
    was going to add the led kit but i read that its pretty weak ,,looks cool but way overpriced,,you can get some leds on ebay and electric switch for remote operation all for bout 25 bucks and drill and add to bumpers,,,that's all i will add to this, i like running at dusk when i come home from work and its easier to see at distance..

--------The Maxx motor is actually bigger than one might think. The case is 70mm long by 40mm diameter. It's only 5mm shorter than the 2200 motor. I would consider it an 1/8 scale motor.
    The 2400kv is a good match for 4s voltage------

Exactly here are some specs for the ecs and motor..

----https://amr-rc.com/1-10-maxx-with-4s-esc-orange-4wd-brushless.html

My Emaxx with this setup on 4s is perfect 22/68 pinion and spur..i actually order the 65 spur but dont even think im going to use it,,thing has plenty speed and toque and even on the hot day has not gone past 114 so im happy and waterproofed..probly will leave this on for winter FPV since it is waterproof just set it to training mode to slow it down a bit when doing FPV

sorry for long post,,i like to talk im told LOl,,,,but just looking at those slash bodies they look awesome i might have to get one,,,i was going to get an aftermaket vw beatle or old ford PU from proline but im liking the slash with those brute bumpers

Thanks Ron
    I've done some research on the Maxx. The biggest complaint out there is that is very prone to tipping over more often than desired. It was pretty apparent that Traxxas too recognized this a went out of their way to make an extended control arm kit for it....which sadly is not cheap from what all the YouTube reviewers have mentioned.

I am sure it is great truck, but im going to linger around for a while and see what else is out there that others have been liking that are in the truggy/ monster truck genres.

Lately I've been into 1/10th scale crawlers. Been working on 2 of them actually, which have proven to be very expensive builds none the less.

RC Enthusiast
    Hey laajmalek,

I know the maxx is going to have its quirks ,if it really bothers me ill send it on 30ft jumps til it dies lol but i think it will be fun,,my other choice was the arrma kraton ,,but it was not as durable as the maxx and by the time you update it your at the price of the maxx..and it has a nice wide stance to it...

Sweet build ,that cost more that my first car i bet..i mean real car ...i like the detail of that rear axle and diff...im sure you have a tone of time into it,,but to me building is just as fun as driving....

Never got into crawling,,i mean when i fpv out in the woods its a slow work your way threw , since you r on ground level and visibility is limited and you dont want to get stuck,,,but i found it interesting one day i was checking out a youtube vid and this girl was running one (rcgirl) really caught my intrest, lol dont know if it was her or watching the rc LOL

Ron