RC poster

Question Help request; Stampede to Rc Tank!

Moderator note; I apologize if this is the wrong place to put this, and if there is a better place, please feel free to move it! I just didn’t want it in such a narrow subforum (Stampede).

First off, feel free to call me dumb (Sorry, didn't think that was considered profanity!) if I’m completely wrong. I have this toy-grade tank, it literally only goes forward and reverse with flashing lights and sounds. I have a poor 2wd stampede that’s been scrapped to pieces, I just got a new receiver (The old one was shot) I’m wondering how to convert my ESC and receiver into tank drive. I don’t mind ruining the wires from the servo, I already have an upgrade planned for my Slash 4x4 when it inevitably dies lol. (plus the stampede one is SO BAD) With the TQI remote I already have the new receiver bound as well as my slash. My main worry is that I’m going to fry my Stamp electronics if I try to turn or accelerate and turn at the same time. My dad and I brainstormed, we think that of the red black and white wire from the steering servo is left, right, and ground. It should be a simple “or” gate. throttle= output of 0-1 on motor 1 & 2, steer left = right motor >0 left motor =/<0. But how do I make it so by putting current through one, I’m not putting current back into my ESC from steering, or putting current in my receiver from throttle?

https://photos.google.com/photo/AF1Q...20WH0w0revAyx5

Image; dual motors, rear, the ground is those thin wires by the plastic at the bottom of the motors, the two resistors at the top are positive (I think).

https://photos.google.com/photo/AF1Q...8a3KPWAKgRDVd9

Image; the whole tank.

https://photos.google.com/photo/AF1Q...aDoVHvDtauVSm6

Image; TQI remote, plz let me know if I’ve identified this wrong. Pretty sure it’s only a two-channel, I just have the VXL 4x4 slash, Tsm and all that, no OBA, nothing else. This is the remote from my slash.

https://photos.google.com/photo/AF1Q...NBgj91ytEZvIta

Image; New Receiver, not sure which model.

My other main issue is that the ESC fits fine, but I can’t access the “set” button, and the battery is gonna be hard to remove and put back in securely. I’m thinking about mounting the ESC in the back, but issue; wheelies are gonna drag my ESC across the floor, especially since the rear grille is up high and the motors are in the rear. The only option is to make the turret removable with standard body pins, could I use my Stamp body mounts in place of a few of the screw holes? Also, the body is completely plastic, so it’s gonna be quite heavy, I dunno if the mounts can hold it. It’s also much thicker than a Lexan body.

https://photos.google.com/photo/AF1Q...H1frRvKpFo4HPF

Image; Yellow XL5 ESC, but I can't find it anywhere on the internet? I cannot find this exact one anywhere.

I’d like to buy the minimum I can, but if I have to spend 20, 30 bucks on something, I’m fine. Whoever owned this previously also stripped out the old power switch. Is there a switch I can purchase that’s compatible with my receiver or ESC, where I can turn it off with the switch hole in the back?

Also, I got this tank at a thrift store and I found a tiny hot wheels Twin Mill II in it I have no idea why lol XD

Seems like the images didn't work :/
    Last edited by SpeedieGonzales; 05-25-2020 at 12:12 PM.

No, you assumption about the servo is wrong. Red is power, black is return, the white is the digital control signal. These are pure digital devices, the signal is sent down the white wire, the board inside translates it and makes the servo move appropriately.

Can't see the photos, but it doesn't sound like you'll be able to control it the way your are writing this up.

Basically you need two drive motors, two ESCs, and two transmissions.
    Submarine Qualified, Chief Inducted, Navy Retired

I would need some pics see.

I used to have a tyco fast traxx way back in the day. Basicly a rc with tank tracks what went pretty fast for the time.

Perhaps look into how it was built. Rx had 2 sticks that just gave each motor power.

You would need two motors and a way to turn each one on and off.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

RC poster
    Quote Originally Posted by Greatscott View Post
    No, you assumption about the servo is wrong. Red is power, black is return, the white is the digital control signal. These are pure digital devices, the signal is sent down the white wire, the board inside translates it and makes the servo move appropriately.

Can't see the photos, but it doesn't sound like you'll be able to control it the way your are writing this up.

Basically you need two drive motors, two ESCs, and two transmissions.
    Quote Originally Posted by Acidic01 View Post
    I would need some pics see.

I used to have a tyco fast traxx way back in the day. Basicly a rc with tank tracks what went pretty fast for the time.

Perhaps look into how it was built. Rx had 2 sticks that just gave each motor power.

You would need two motors and a way to turn each one on and off.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

I have 2 drive motors, 2 transmissions, and 1 ESC and receiver. I don't mind if I don't have variable steering, but it would be nice if I had variable throttle. could i reprogram my remote/esc manually? Acidic, what do you mean by "Rx had 2 sticks that just gave each motor power." also my bad, I think I need to make a link so you guys can see the photos!

You can split the motor wires are run two motors off of the same ESC, but you'll have two problems. First, there is no way to steer it, without more parts and pieces, both motors would get the same power all of the time, sort of...

The other problem is what is know as Clod-stall. When driving two motors off of one ESC the motor with the less mechanical resistance will get the power.
    • Clod-stall: Named after the Tamiya Clod Buster RC. This truck has two motors, one on each axle, fed by one ESC. Because all of the weight is transferred to the back axle when accelerating hard, the front axle will spin really fast, but the back axle with all of the load would move a lot slower. There is likely an engineering name for this, but it is what it is called in the RC world.

Now, if you get another ESC you can run each motor off of its own ESC. For your radio, one ESC is controlled off of CH1 (normally steering), and the other off of Ch 2. Skid steer is challenging enough off of a stick radio, but it will be really tricky off of a pistol radio. If you had a 3-ch radio, there is a module you could get that would allow fairly good control of a skid steer RC with a pistol radio.

RC poster
    You can split the motor wires are run two motors off of the same ESC, but you'll have two problems. First, there is no way to steer it, without more parts and pieces, both motors would get the same power all of the time, sort of...

The other problem is what is know as Clod-stall. When driving two motors off of one ESC the motor with the less mechanical resistance will get the power.
    • Clod-stall: Named after the Tamiya Clod Buster RC. This truck has two motors, one on each axle, fed by one ESC. Because all of the weight is transferred to the back axle when accelerating hard, the front axle will spin really fast, but the back axle with all of the load would move a lot slower. There is likely an engineering name for this, but it is what it is called in the RC world.

Now, if you get another ESC you can run each motor off of its own ESC. For your radio, one ESC is controlled off of CH1 (normally steering), and the other off of Ch 2. Skid steer is challenging enough off of a stick radio, but it will be really tricky off of a pistol radio. If you had a 3-ch radio, there is a module you could get that would allow fairly good control of a skid steer RC with a pistol radio.
    So in essence, no chance of steering without a new remote and ESC? dang. Well, "Tanks" for your time! also, this doesn't seem suspicious at all.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/834gmqn9pit6Eyzz6
    Plz don't hurt me

You could steer, you just need another ESC. Given that one side would be controlled with the throttle trigger, and the other with the steering wheel, you would likely be herding it to the direction you want it to go and not so much driving it.

RC poster
    You could steer, you just need another ESC. Given that one side would be controlled with the throttle trigger, and the other with the steering wheel, you would likely be herding it to the direction you want it to go and not so much driving it.

I don't have an issue with adapting to weird controls. there was a game i played once where run was q but crouch was m and you need mouse to control the camera? like what? anyway, thanks for the tips, i'll PM you if i do get it set up! ttyl.