Thread: Axles

RC poster

Axles

Hey so I have a question on axles constantly breaking on my Slash 4x4 vxl while running 2.8s. I was wondering what i can do other than changing axles which i am planning to do. How does the rustler 4x4 vxl not break axles within a couple min of use even tho it runs the 2.8s from stock but my slash breaks them almost instantly? I know the pinion is a 11 tooth on the rustler and a 13 tooth on my slash but wouldnt the more torque cause axles to break quicker? Any help on what i can do other than changing axles would be appreciated.

RC Competitor
    you could get metal replacements. Traxxas, MIP, Integy (don't get them) and I think Tekno make them. And if you manage to break them, you can get spare parts without spending another €80 on new axles.

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by Arlo406 View Post
    Hey so I have a question on axles constantly breaking on my Slash 4x4 vxl while running 2.8s. I was wondering what i can do other than changing axles which i am planning to do. How does the rustler 4x4 vxl not break axles within a couple min of use even tho it runs the 2.8s from stock but my slash breaks them almost instantly? I know the pinion is a 11 tooth on the rustler and a 13 tooth on my slash but wouldnt the more torque cause axles to break quicker? Any help on what i can do other than changing axles would be appreciated.
    I switched to the Rustler 4x4 axles on my Stampede 4x4. They are a lot thicker and very stout compared to the stock Slash axles. No breaks or cracks with multiple packs thru it and I drive and jump the truck HARD.

Make sure you have your slipper clutch set correctly.

Sent from my LM-G710VM using Tapatalk

RC Competitor
    Quote Originally Posted by MaXDee View Post
    I switched to the Rustler 4x4 axles on my Stampede 4x4. They are a lot thicker and very stout compared to the stock Slash axles. No breaks or cracks with multiple packs thru it and I drive and jump the truck HARD.

Make sure you have your slipper clutch set correctly.

Are the Rustler 4x4 axles easily compatible? Was thinking of putting MIP X-duty on the Slash as we have them on the Stampede, but they’re pricey things.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by jason26 View Post
    Are the Rustler 4x4 axles easily compatible?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Yes .
    The Super Derecho

RC poster
    So the stock Rustler axles are stronger than the stock slash axles? Sorry if its a dumb question im still new to all the RC world ha.

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by Arlo406 View Post
    So the stock Rustler axles are stronger than the stock slash axles? Sorry if its a dumb question im still new to all the RC world ha.
    Yes they are much stronger. Here is the difference, stock output yoke on the left, Rustler on the right. Second pic, Rustler shafts. BEEFY!

Second pic

Last edited by cooleocool; 05-25-2020 at 10:15 PM. Reason: merge

RC poster
    Oh wow alright thank you

RC Competitor
    If you run 3s, I still recfommend MIP’s. They’re way stronger, and the rear axles get way more stress. I am thinking about rustler front drive shafts too. If you get MIP’s, PUT IN ALL THE SPACERS (or you’ll destroy your bearings)

Are the Rustler axles dimensionally the same or hopefully wider? If wider how wide can they go from U joint to U joint and still be useable with decent overlap?

RC Enthusiast
    ive run those rustler 4x4 driveshafts in my slash 4x4 on 3s and never had a set of them break yet after 50+ runs, but i also use a slipper clutch that isnt locked.

Quote Originally Posted by The Bean View Post
    If you run 3s, I still recfommend MIP’s. They’re way stronger, and the rear axles get way more stress. I am thinking about rustler front drive shafts too. If you get MIP’s, PUT IN ALL THE SPACERS (or you’ll destroy your bearings)
    As it is true you can destroy any axle with abuse the stock Rustler 4x4/extreme duty axles can handle 3s use quiet well. But if you want to go all out Kevin Talbot on your rig mip might be your only choice.

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by MAC FAB View Post
    Are the Rustler axles dimensionally the same or hopefully wider? If wider how wide can they go from U joint to U joint and still be useable with decent overlap?
    They are wider and thicker.