RC Competitor

Upgrading motor, esc, and servo.

So I'm going to be putting in this motor combo:

https://www.amainhobbies.com/castle-...145-03/p587669

And this servo:

https://www.amainhobbies.com/mks-ser...hbl550/p885130

Is there anything I'm going to need for these to work properly?

The MMX is "overkill" for the Rusty. Also, the 2200kV motor is excellent for a crawler...but, in the Rusty, you'll be going quite a bit slower, unless you go with a much larger pinion, a smaller spur and/or run 4S. Also, you'll have to measure to see if a 550 can will fit. While a 550 will fit into a Slash, the shorter chassis of the Rustler might be too short.

The Mamba X would be a far more appropriate ESC. As for the motor, something in the 3200-400kV range, depending on gearing, will serve you a lot better than that crawler motor. Partly, thinking a 550 might not for, you should stick with a 540 can motor.

~ More peace, love, laughter & kindness would make the world a MUCH better place
    ~ Love, laughter & kindness makes the world better

RC Competitor
    Quote Originally Posted by Panther6834 View Post
    The MMX is "overkill" for the Rusty. Also, the 2200kV motor is excellent for a crawler...but, in the Rusty, you'll be going quite a bit slower, unless you go with a much larger pinion, a smaller spur and/or run 4S. Also, you'll have to measure to see if a 550 can will fit. While a 550 will fit into a Slash, the shorter chassis of the Rustler might be too short.

The Mamba X would be a far more appropriate ESC. As for the motor, something in the 3200-400kV range, depending on gearing, will serve you a lot better than that crawler motor. Partly, thinking a 550 might not for, you should stick with a 540 can motor.

~ More peace, love, laughter & kindness would make the world a MUCH better place
    I currently run a 9t/56t in the stock VXL setup and run the 2.8" MX Badlands. I run pavement like 0.5% of the time, so top end speed isn't necessary. The current motor is fine, but it just seems to bog down too much for my liking.

My buddy has the same setup and runs a 14/56 and it rips around at like 50.

A KV range between (3200-4000) is a good all around setup but with the appropriated gears ratio, for example, with a 2200KV it's possible to have more speed and acceleration than a 3500KV motor, however the 2200KV will run cooler and the demand for energy should be about the same, therefore in comparison the durability of the motor will increase.

Just make sure to buy a Traxxas male connector and everything should be ok.
    Last edited by MECHANIC77; 05-25-2020 at 04:00 PM.
    Good driver. Bad setup. Bad things will happen...