Will Traxxas Come Out With A TRX-4 Conversion Kit to TRX-6?

So about a month ago, I started a thread on converting a TRX-4 to a TRX-6. It seems like a very popular idea since I have heard that many people have done, or are planning on doing it (It also has like over 1000 views). If Traxxas came out with a conversion kit, I am definitely going to get it (since it would save much time, save more shipping cost, and make things much simpler). Anyone else on the same boat? Also, how likely is it that Traxxas would do this?

RC Qualifier
    I think probably Traxxas do, itīs a very popular idea.

RC Racer
    I am just a few parts short of completing my conversion.
    It's not very cost effective, but still funner than buying an rtr.
    Will post a thread when I am done if mail backlogs ever get caught up.

Sent from my SM-G965W using Tapatalk

They might do a conversion kit, I've seen quite a bit of people do it.

I'm thinking of converting one of my TRX4s into a 2 axled TRX6, or just a long TRX4. (TRX4 on TRX6 chassis rails.
    Jumping: maneuver and pray it won't break.

Quote Originally Posted by TITANIUM94010 View Post
    They might do a conversion kit, I've seen quite a bit of people do it.

I'm thinking of converting one of my TRX4s into a 2 axled TRX6, or just a long TRX4. (TRX4 on TRX6 chassis rails.
    You never replied to my PM... What is your issue?
    Submarine Qualified, Chief Inducted, Navy Retired

@ B-stinga, very cool that your project is coming along nicely.

@ Titanium94010, a long TRX-4 would be a very cool idea, but how would the rear axle get drive?

I think a TRX-6 kit would also be popular if Traxxas came out with it.

Quote Originally Posted by RCWilly View Post
    @ B-stinga, very cool that your project is coming along nicely.

@ Titanium94010, a long TRX-4 would be a very cool idea, but how would the rear axle get drive?

I think a TRX-6 kit would also be popular if Traxxas came out with it.
    I think I'll 3d print a longer axle for it, I've got my printer ordered and is currently designing a drive shaft, but its a work in progress.

I don't know. While it would be cool, there are a lot of differences between the trucks, and it may not be cost effective.

If I had my vote, I would say a TRX6 builder's kit before the conversion kit.

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by Greatscott View Post
    I don't know. While it would be cool, there are a lot of differences between the trucks, and it may not be cost effective.

If I had my vote, I would say a TRX6 builder's kit before the conversion kit.
    100% agree.
    The cost of the parts plus the cost of the trx4 I used to convert comes out to a substancial amount more than a rtr trx6.
    (My trx4 was a sport, so a large part of the cost was the diff lock conversion as well as 2 speed transmission conversion)

But a kit would be absolutely awesome... then I could re-convert back to TRX-4

Quote Originally Posted by B-stinga View Post
    100% agree.
    The cost of the parts plus the cost of the trx4 I used to convert comes out to a substancial amount more than a rtr trx6.
    (My trx4 was a sport, so a large part of the cost was the diff lock conversion as well as 2 speed transmission conversion)

But a kit would be absolutely awesome... then I could re-convert back to TRX-4

Maybe that is the ticket for the kit, have it so that the truck can be built as a 4 or 6.

Yup, it does make sense for the kit then. What I'm really hoping is that they let you choose the electronics. It would be a big bummer if they included the stock electronics. Also, if Traxxas does come out with this kit, would it come with a clear AMG body?
    (I also kinda hope that they come out with a new body style for it)

Traxxas probably is coming out with a kit for the TRX6, but I think doing it with no body would make sense, as there aren't many stocks 6x6 cars out there, and having a defender 6x6 could just equal more licensing fees and stuff like that. A 6x6 military-style truck would be cool though.

Is it possible to do a bare-bones conversion from TRX4 to TRX6 with the long chassis rails, shocks, axel, and some links? Without any fenders and stuff. That might be a cheap way to go.

I think it is possible to have no front fenders (it is based on the Defender/Long Wheelbase). For the rear fenders, it is probably also possible if there were additional mods to it (But I think it would be hard, since 2 pairs of shocks mount to it, and the shock towers are also supported by it).

RC Enthusiast
    It would be great if Traxxas come out with a TRX6 builders kit, with no body and electronics. Personally I cannot justify spending $600.00 plus on a truck to remove the body, remove the electronics, install spools in the rear axles, and convert it to a single speed transmission.

RC Racer
    It can be done without the fenders....
    If I remove the 2 transmission conversion as well as the diff locking conversion, the total for my conversion would be about 500 including a body.

What I found to be expensive is the cost of building a an axle part by part. Had I been able to find one pre-built it would have been cheaper.

Over the years I have done many replacements, upgrades and mods to my rc collection. However, all that experience did not teach me one thing.... no parts come with their required screws!! I never really realized that because when swapping or changing things, I have always used the previous screws. So when I first received my box of parts for this conversion, I quickly realized I had a problem

How much does a part-by-part built axel cost? I found a completed front axel on Ebay for 70 dollars, but I could have sworn I saw one for 50 a while back.

RC Racer
    About 120$ canadian, so about 80$ US.
    At the time of ordering, I could not find any pre built available.

The rear axle from the TRX-4 becomes the intermediate on trx6 after changing the diff cover to allow the drivetrain to keep going.
    And the rear on the trx6 is what needs to be built from scratch

I am able to find a complete rear axle for the TRX-4 for around 50 (USD) on eBay. I think all that is needed to change it to a TRX-6 rear axle is to change the main housing (I think its part number 8837). The total comes to be around 70 USD with all the taxes and shipping included.