RC poster

Grinding sound - where?

I had a crash and had to replace the front bulkhead and the chassis. I have done that but now when I go forward or backwards I get this grinding sound and the wheels will go forward or back and then just stop.

I guess it's something to do with a gear? Can someone point me in the right direction of how to troubleshoot this?

Post a vid. Tapatalk app let's you post vid. Or google photos, imgr, YouTube

Can be spur gear or pinion. Center diff.
    If only front or rear tires move its a ring gear or pinion in the end that doesn't move.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

RC Racer
    Sometimes you just have to start taking things apart. First try to hold the front or the rear tires from moving. Then rotate the opposite end tires together. You will know what end is the problem when you can't rotate it any more, hear grinding noise or feel roughness in the gears. This won't work unless you have a center diff in which case you would have to disconnect the center drive shaft.
    Most likely you broke off a tooth off the ring gear in the crash.
    Last edited by Forrest; 05-26-2020 at 01:06 AM.

RC poster

Sound

Thanks for the replies.

Without the car being on and just rotating the tires, both the front and rear rotate freely with no noise. ON the back when I rotate one, the other goes in the opposite direction fine and the same with the front.

When I turn the power on and go forward or reverse it makes the grounding sound.

I will post a video shortly. Does that help troubleshoot where I should be headed?

I understand I should take it apart, but I just spent 4 days putting it togehter! I'm new to this lol

Quote Originally Posted by Forrest View Post
    Sometimes you just have to start taking things apart. First try to hold the front or the rear tires from moving. Then rotate the opposite end tires together. You will know what end is the problem when you can't rotate it any more, hear grinding noise or feel roughness in the gears. This won't work unless you have a center diff in which case you would have to disconnect the center drive shaft.
    Most likely you broke off a tooth off the ring gear in the crash.

RC Competitor
    If its in the rear, i know what could be the issue. With mine, it made a grinding noise. In the rear where the diff gear spins, the rear left screw thats in the bulkhead might have come through into the diff gear area, there for pushing plastic up and in the way of the gear. Thus creating the grinding noise. That’s what happened to mine. I just took the screw out and pushed the plastic back in and filed down the rest until it was out of the way and smooth. However this may not be part of the issue your having currently, but if it is, then i hope this helps.

RC poster

video

https://vimeo.com/profile.php?do=edi...598/a6184103e9
    Quote Originally Posted by bigdaddyo811 View Post
    Thanks for the replies.

So rotating no power on both front and back fine - no grind

then power on and you can hear the grind

Thank you

Without the car being on and just rotating the tires, both the front and rear rotate freely with no noise. ON the back when I rotate one, the other goes in the opposite direction fine and the same with the front.

When I turn the power on and go forward or reverse it makes the grounding sound.

I will post a video shortly. Does that help troubleshoot where I should be headed?

I understand I should take it apart, but I just spent 4 days putting it togehter! I'm new to this lol

Fyi No go on the vid.... Link no good.

RC poster

Video

http://<iframe src="https://player.v...reen></iframe>

Quote Originally Posted by Acidic01 View Post
    Fyi No go on the vid.... Link no good.

RC Enthusiast

Grinding sound - where?

Are you hitting the brakes or letting go of the throttle? If you are letting of the throttle then it might be a toasted motor I say check your pinion and spur to see if the pinion moved forward and is rubbing against the motor mounting plate.
    Edit

Now that I got audio definitely sounds like a toasted motor

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Smashem77; 05-27-2020 at 11:55 AM.

Man that sounds horrible.

I'd say motor issue.

Pull motor out and then. Turn car on and run motor out of the car. If still has those sounds you know it's the motor...

If still in your 30 days since had car call Traxxas... Otherwise can see about taking motor apart and see if inside are shot or if just just a blown bearings.