RC Enthusiast

Itís not working right... :(

Hey guys... so I was riding my slash up hill once (Ik Ik...) and then when I brought it back down, it started making this whining noise. ALL OF A SUDDEN I SAW IT SMOKING. I saw that the motor was burning the 3 rubber wires. Whatever. Then I flipped it upside down and revved it a little bit. All 4 wheels are wobbling, is that normal? Now I thought the motor was burnt, but that might not be true... When I keep the front two tires on the ground and lift the rear, thereís no whining noise. But when I drop it on the rear and lift the front, itís making the whining noise. Oh and the burning smell kept coming after 30 seconds. I tried this multiple times over 3 months, it kept burning. I even recharged the battery multiple times. Now hereís where Iím worried. When the RC car is off, I flipped it again and used my hand to turn the front two wheels. Thereís a little bit of tension. But the rear two wheels are moving freely. The worse part is, this is a 4x4. Shouldnít all 4 wheels move? What do I need to order to get it running? Maybe order something? Maybe contact Traxxas? Let me know thanks!

I have attached a YouTube video of the whining noise! Thanks!
    https://youtu.be/4AFxBINFAH4

Obviously drivetrain problems.My guess is slipper clutch/spur gear are toast.Possibly front and rear diff gear issues also.
    Unplug the battery and motor wires.Remove the motor from the truck and see what is binding.
    Traxxas Slash Platinum Edition

RC Enthusiast
    Once I remove the motor what do I do?? How would I know what’s binding. I’m sorry I’m new to this stuff, just got two months ago

Sounds like to need to adjust your slipper clutch. May have to take it apart and clean/scuff the pads off from glazing.

The rolling around sounds fine. That is how a 4-pole motor/drivetrain sounds.

Have fun!
    Creativity is intelligence having fun. -Einstein

I don’t see or hear anything really wrong except a slipper clutch that could use tightened up. It’s definitely slipping a good bit and that’s probably where the smoke/burning smell is coming from. It’s also what is making the high pitch noise under acceleration.

All 4 wheels aren’t necessarily going to turn when you spin one because of the viscocity of the fluid in the diffs and the resistance of the motor.

Your rear diff could possibly need fluid though. That may be why it is spinning more freely.
    Last edited by justin13703; 05-25-2020 at 10:30 PM.

RC Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by Squeegie View Post
    Sounds like to need to adjust your slipper clutch. May have to take it apart and clean/scuff the pads off from glazing.

The rolling around sounds fine. That is how a 4-pole motor/drivetrain sounds.

Have fun!
    How do I adjust the slipper clutch? Mind you this is a brand new Rc Car, maybe rode for 2 hours time max

RC Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by justin13703 View Post
    I don’t see or hear anything really wrong except a slipper clutch that could use tightened up. It’s definitely slipping a good bit and that’s probably where the smoke/burning smell is coming from. It’s also what is making the high pitch noise under acceleration.

All 4 wheels aren’t necessarily going to turn when you spin one because of the viscocity of the fluid in the diffs and the resistance of the motor.

Your rear diff could possibly need fluid though. That may be why it is spinning more freely.
    How do you tighten it? I see the smoke/burning smell is coming from the 3 black bullet wires... it’s touching the motor that is insanely hot after 30 seconds of running time... I rode this for 2hrs max... how do I replace the fluid? Thanks guys

RC Competitor
    On the website you can find a more advanced owners manual, with a lot of info/tips.
    https://traxxas.com/sites/default/fi...4x4-Owners.pdf

Quote Originally Posted by faizakhtar125 View Post
    How do you tighten it? I see the smoke/burning smell is coming from the 3 black bullet wires... it’s touching the motor that is insanely hot after 30 seconds of running time... I rode this for 2hrs max... how do I replace the fluid? Thanks guys
    Nothing wrong with coming here and asking questions. However, Traxxas conveniently provides you with a manual to read as these are more than just plug and play Wal-Mart RCs. I would suggest to take a few minutes to read it and you will gain a whole lot of knowledge in less time than it takes to draft a post and wait for a response. We all have been there and are here to help when you need clarification or additional help.
    The Super Derecho

RC Enthusiast
    Yeah I really don’t understand... see I’m kind of stupid lol. Just tell me what I need to do and I’ll do it! Thanks haha

RC Competitor
    Take out the slipper (use the exploded view to see what goes where, and to learn how to take the slash apart). if you look at it, you can see a nut somewhere (behind the spring). turn it with one of the included tools. it can be tightend and loosend, and you need to tighten it. turn the nut so the spring gets compressed. keep turning untill the spring is fully compressed (but be carefull).
    now you have fully tightened the clutch. Running like this will wear your tires and axles a lot, so you need to loosen it a bit again.

turn the nut a half to a full turn back the other way. now you can have fun and make wheelies, wich wasn't possible before. Does this help? I'm usualy not the best in explaining things without drawing it on a piece of paper, and I don't know how to post pictures here.

Quote Originally Posted by faizakhtar125 View Post
    Yeah I really don’t understand... see I’m kind of stupid lol. Just tell me what I need to do and I’ll do it! Thanks haha
    The manual tells you too. Start with the manual: https://traxxas.com/sites/default/fi...-OM-EN-R04.pdf

Write-ups and pictures!! Page 8, 24, 25.
    The Super Derecho