RC Enthusiast

Itís not working right... :(

Hey guys... so I was riding my slash up hill once (Ik Ik...) and then when I brought it back down, it started making this whining noise. ALL OF A SUDDEN I SAW IT SMOKING. I saw that the motor was burning the 3 rubber wires. Whatever. Then I flipped it upside down and revved it a little bit. All 4 wheels are wobbling, is that normal? Now I thought the motor was burnt, but that might not be true... When I keep the front two tires on the ground and lift the rear, thereís no whining noise. But when I drop it on the rear and lift the front, itís making the whining noise. Oh and the burning smell kept coming after 30 seconds. I tried this multiple times over 3 months, it kept burning. I even recharged the battery multiple times. Now hereís where Iím worried. When the RC car is off, I flipped it again and used my hand to turn the front two wheels. Thereís a little bit of tension. But the rear two wheels are moving freely. The worse part is, this is a 4x4. Shouldnít all 4 wheels move? What do I need to order to get it running? Maybe order something? Maybe contact Traxxas? Let me know thanks!

I have attached a YouTube video of the whining noise! Thanks!
    https://youtu.be/4AFxBINFAH4

Obviously drivetrain problems.My guess is slipper clutch/spur gear are toast.Possibly front and rear diff gear issues also.
    Unplug the battery and motor wires.Remove the motor from the truck and see what is binding.
    Traxxas Slash Platinum Edition

RC Enthusiast
    Once I remove the motor what do I do?? How would I know what’s binding. I’m sorry I’m new to this stuff, just got two months ago

Sounds like to need to adjust your slipper clutch. May have to take it apart and clean/scuff the pads off from glazing.

The rolling around sounds fine. That is how a 4-pole motor/drivetrain sounds.

Have fun!
    Creativity is intelligence having fun. -Einstein

I don’t see or hear anything really wrong except a slipper clutch that could use tightened up. It’s definitely slipping a good bit and that’s probably where the smoke/burning smell is coming from. It’s also what is making the high pitch noise under acceleration.

All 4 wheels aren’t necessarily going to turn when you spin one because of the viscocity of the fluid in the diffs and the resistance of the motor.

Your rear diff could possibly need fluid though. That may be why it is spinning more freely.
    Last edited by justin13703; 05-25-2020 at 10:30 PM.

RC Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by Squeegie View Post
    Sounds like to need to adjust your slipper clutch. May have to take it apart and clean/scuff the pads off from glazing.

The rolling around sounds fine. That is how a 4-pole motor/drivetrain sounds.

Have fun!
    How do I adjust the slipper clutch? Mind you this is a brand new Rc Car, maybe rode for 2 hours time max

RC Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by justin13703 View Post
    I don’t see or hear anything really wrong except a slipper clutch that could use tightened up. It’s definitely slipping a good bit and that’s probably where the smoke/burning smell is coming from. It’s also what is making the high pitch noise under acceleration.

All 4 wheels aren’t necessarily going to turn when you spin one because of the viscocity of the fluid in the diffs and the resistance of the motor.

Your rear diff could possibly need fluid though. That may be why it is spinning more freely.
    How do you tighten it? I see the smoke/burning smell is coming from the 3 black bullet wires... it’s touching the motor that is insanely hot after 30 seconds of running time... I rode this for 2hrs max... how do I replace the fluid? Thanks guys

RC Qualifier
    On the website you can find a more advanced owners manual, with a lot of info/tips.
    https://traxxas.com/sites/default/fi...4x4-Owners.pdf

Quote Originally Posted by faizakhtar125 View Post
    How do you tighten it? I see the smoke/burning smell is coming from the 3 black bullet wires... it’s touching the motor that is insanely hot after 30 seconds of running time... I rode this for 2hrs max... how do I replace the fluid? Thanks guys
    Nothing wrong with coming here and asking questions. However, Traxxas conveniently provides you with a manual to read as these are more than just plug and play Wal-Mart RCs. I would suggest to take a few minutes to read it and you will gain a whole lot of knowledge in less time than it takes to draft a post and wait for a response. We all have been there and are here to help when you need clarification or additional help.
    The Super Derecho

RC Enthusiast
    Yeah I really don’t understand... see I’m kind of stupid lol. Just tell me what I need to do and I’ll do it! Thanks haha

RC Qualifier
    Take out the slipper (use the exploded view to see what goes where, and to learn how to take the slash apart). if you look at it, you can see a nut somewhere (behind the spring). turn it with one of the included tools. it can be tightend and loosend, and you need to tighten it. turn the nut so the spring gets compressed. keep turning untill the spring is fully compressed (but be carefull).
    now you have fully tightened the clutch. Running like this will wear your tires and axles a lot, so you need to loosen it a bit again.

turn the nut a half to a full turn back the other way. now you can have fun and make wheelies, wich wasn't possible before. Does this help? I'm usualy not the best in explaining things without drawing it on a piece of paper, and I don't know how to post pictures here.

Yeah I really don’t understand... see I’m kind of stupid lol. Just tell me what I need to do and I’ll do it! Thanks haha
    The manual tells you too. Start with the manual: https://traxxas.com/sites/default/fi...-OM-EN-R04.pdf

Write-ups and pictures!! Page 8, 24, 25.
    The Super Derecho

RC Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by The Bean View Post
    Take out the slipper (use the exploded view to see what goes where, and to learn how to take the slash apart). if you look at it, you can see a nut somewhere (behind the spring). turn it with one of the included tools. it can be tightend and loosend, and you need to tighten it. turn the nut so the spring gets compressed. keep turning untill the spring is fully compressed (but be carefull).
    now you have fully tightened the clutch. Running like this will wear your tires and axles a lot, so you need to loosen it a bit again.

turn the nut a half to a full turn back the other way. now you can have fun and make wheelies, wich wasn't possible before. Does this help? I'm usualy not the best in explaining things without drawing it on a piece of paper, and I don't know how to post pictures here.
    Iím FINALLY getting to it right now, wish me luck haha

RC Enthusiast
    Update: ITS WORKING AGAIN! BEYOND HYPED! But I got a question for everyone here. What are your 10 favorite mods? Things like shocks, not dust covers haha. Thanks!

RC Qualifier
    Good metal drive shafts. I broke all four of mine one week after I got 3s

Cooling fans. They help a lot

RC Racer
    GTR Shocks

Hey guys... so I was riding my slash up hill once (Ik Ik...) and then when I brought it back down, it started making this whining noise. ALL OF A SUDDEN I SAW IT SMOKING. I saw that the motor was burning the 3 rubber wires. Whatever. Then I flipped it upside down and revved it a little bit. All 4 wheels are wobbling, is that normal? Now I thought the motor was burnt, but that might not be true... When I keep the front two tires on the ground and lift the rear, there’s no whining noise. But when I drop it on the rear and lift the front, it’s making the whining noise. Oh and the burning smell kept coming after 30 seconds. I tried this multiple times over 3 months, it kept burning. I even recharged the battery multiple times. Now here’s where I’m worried. When the RC car is off, I flipped it again and used my hand to turn the front two wheels. There’s a little bit of tension. But the rear two wheels are moving freely. The worse part is, this is a 4x4. Shouldn’t all 4 wheels move? What do I need to order to get it running? Maybe order something? Maybe contact Traxxas? Let me know thanks!

I have attached a YouTube video of the whining noise! Thanks!
    https://youtu.be/4AFxBINFAH4
    That's just what happens when you try to ride your Traxxas vehicle. There doesn't happen to be a posted weight limit but I'd have a hard time believing its above 1 pound!
    The present is theirs; the future, is mine.

Update: ITS WORKING AGAIN! BEYOND HYPED! But I got a question for everyone here. What are your 10 favorite mods? Things like shocks, not dust covers haha. Thanks!
    GTR shocks, Suspension arm guards (requires some modification for the rear to work), sway bars, steering bellcranks (more precise, the stock ones are pretty loose), servo, tires, Scorched RC Inner Fenders (to keep the dirt out).
    Everyday's a gift, thus now is called the present.

Glad you're back up and running!

As for favorite mods, I like what RCWilly listed (except the ScorchedRC inner fenders... I use/make open wheel bodies and have no use for them).

Have fun!
    Creativity is intelligence having fun. -Einstein

It really depends on what you want to do. Every upgrade is for a different aspect of your car and depending on how you drive, where you drive, and even why you drive you will want to get different upgrades. These upgrades can improve power, durability, rigidity, handling, control, scale realism, and reduce weight just to name a few.

Basher: If you are looking to bash then you will probably want as much durability as possible, you can do this by switching your stock parts to ones made out of a stronger material. Some common upgrades include using RPM arms instead of the stock ones, these RPM parts are made of plastic but are more flexible than their counterparts, this allows them to flex in an impact instead of breaking. You can find RPM parts at the link below.
    https://www.rpmrcproducts.com/
    It is also common for people to use aluminum parts in places where the rigidity is favored as it is light and typically very durable. Another upgrade usually seen on bashers is an upgrade to power. Some people do this by switching to a more powerful motor or ESC, others switch to a completely new power system all together. Castle Creations is a company that makes high end brushless systems for a variety of RCs. You can find Castle Creations at the link below.
    https://home.castlecreations.com/
    If you upgrade your power system then you will probably want to upgrade your drive-train, I talk more about this in the Racing/Speed section so make sure to check that out should you plan to.

Stunts/Jumping: So you would like to turn your car into a plane? Well a lot of these upgrades are the same as the Basher section, like switching out plastic parts for stronger plastic or aluminum ones. Another upgrade that is very useful and pretty common for jumping and especially stunts is getting bigger wheels and tires, this allows for more in air control. Now, if you are getting bigger wheels/tires then it would definitely be preferable that you upgrade your power system to compensate. Yet again I would recommend that you use a Castle brushless system (linked above).

Racing/Speed: Is speed in your name? If so then there are some basic upgrades that will really improve the performance of your RC and can potentially lead you to glorious victory! A big thing for racing is keeping the weight down but making your vehicle as stiff as possible. This is most often done by using aluminum and carbon fiber parts wherever possible, but be weary, these parts can be very pricey and can break easily under high impact. Using high performance servos that are fast an have a lot of torque also improves handling which is crucial for high level racing. You can find high end servos from Savox linked below.
    https://www.savoxusa.com/
    Most races have certain requirements on what motors/power systems you can use, but for people that are trying to go as fast as they can there is no limit and upgrading to a better ESC/motor is a really good way to go faster. When going above 40mph your body and it's aerodynamics can actually start to affect performance. If you have that need for speed then you will most likely want to consider replacing your body with one more streamline. The website linked below has an abundance of aerodynamic bodies made specifically for high speeds.
    https://deltaplastikusa.com/collections/speed-run-bodies
    Two other things to consider when racing or going fast are shocks and tires. When going fast tires tend to lose stability due to the high centrifugal forces, to minimise this a good thing to do is get belted tires. I linked a company below that is known for making really good tires for a variety of RC’s.
    https://www.prolineracing.com/
    In terms of shocks it’s all about what type of surface you plan to drive on, how fast you plan to go, and the overall stance of your car but a general rule of thumb is that you want your shocks to be pretty stiff.

Trailing/Crawling: Do you like to take it slow, maybe take in the scenery? When it comes to trailing it's all in the details, it's all about being as realistic as possible. Linked below is a website it is known for having some of the best scale details this side of the hobby.
    https://store.rc4wd.com/
    Chances are that your stock servo isn't going to be strong enough to handle all of that crawling, you might want to get a stronger one. Again, Savox (linked above) is a company that produces high end servos exactly for this reason. When crawling you also want as much weight as low as possible, the best way of doing this is to buy brass parts in replacement for plastic ones to lower the center gravity of your vehicle. These can easily be found on Amazon which is linked below.
    https://www.amazon.com/
    Most of the time the stock power system will be adequate when it comes to trailing, but in the case that you are craving more speed or torque Castle Creations (linked above) also makes sensored brushless systems made specifically for crawling. Now much like racing/speed builds shocks and tires can make a really big difference in your vehicle's performance, a good set of tires will go a long way!

Of course I only went over the basics and there is way more to it than just that but a general rule stands no matter what.... Have fun! Mess around with different upgrades and find out what you like, personally I go for upgrades that increase durability because that means less downtime from breaking parts.

I hope this helps!
    The present is theirs; the future, is mine.