Thread: Kit available

Kit available

Yes I am a mod but that does not make me privy to insider info from Traxxas - I get the information at the same time everyone else does.

Word is there may be a Slash (2wd) kit coming down the pipe?
    The Super Derecho

RC Competitor
    I'd love to see a kit. I miss the old days where the RTR was quite rare and virtually everything was in kit form. If I remember right, my first RTR was a Stampede, but before that I had quite a few RCs and all of them came as kits. Assembling them was almost just as fun as running them. My very first hobby grade RC was an RC10T and at only 13, it took me nearly a week to put it together as I refused help from my parents. Ahh, the good ol days. But yeah, a kit would be a very welcome addition to the line up.

Honestly, I can see the benefit of releasing a 2WD Slash kit. As 'no prep' drag racing continues to pick up in popularity, most people getting involved are either taking a Slash they already own, or buying a used roller from someone else, and converting it. For every one of those, Traxxas is losing out on sales.

If they were to offer a reasonably-priced kit version, just imagine the sales boost the company would enjoy. It wouldn't be huge...but, for every kit purchased, as opposed to someone buying a used roller, they'd gain an additional sale. That's in addition to anyone wanting to build a Slash using they're own electronics, which might prove even greater than those building 'no prep' drag cars.

If Traxxas does release this, I'd call that a "smart move".

~ More peace, love, laughter & kindness would make the world a MUCH better place
    ~ Love, laughter & kindness makes the world better

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by Panther6834 View Post
    Honestly, I can see the benefit of releasing a 2WD Slash kit. As 'no prep' drag racing continues to pick up in popularity, most people getting involved are either taking a Slash they already own, or buying a used roller from someone else, and converting it. For every one of those, Traxxas is losing out on sales.

If they were to offer a reasonably-priced kit version, just imagine the sales boost the company would enjoy. It wouldn't be huge...but, for every kit purchased, as opposed to someone buying a used roller, they'd gain an additional sale. That's in addition to anyone wanting to build a Slash using they're own electronics, which might prove even greater than those building 'no prep' drag cars.

If Traxxas does release this, I'd call that a "smart move".

~ More peace, love, laughter & kindness would make the world a MUCH better place
    I agree with all of this .

Sent from my LM-G710VM using Tapatalk

RC Qualifier
    Unless it is A LOT cheaper then the $179 version it won't be worth it. Guys building Mudboss or drag cars sell off the RTR bodies, tires and electronics and make more then half their money back.

Quote Originally Posted by Blown94 View Post
    Unless it is A LOT cheaper then the $179 version it won't be worth it. Guys building Mudboss or drag cars sell off the RTR bodies, tires and electronics and make more then half their money back.
    True...but, half the fun of any RC (other than RTR, BND, & ARTR) is building it. Yes, you can personalize (ie. rebuild) any RTR, but it's not the same as customizing it while it's initially being built.

RC Qualifier
    With the dr10 coming out, I can see traxxas wanting to play in the same segment, but I am not confident 90% of traxxas buyers have the time and know how to deal with a kit. But if the stampeded 4x4 kit does well then that would make the 2wd slash kit more likely, just my guess.

Just a guess here, but I think the TRX4 and 4WD Pede kits has shown Traxxas that there is indeed a market for kits. People like me prefer them. Traxxas has done a very good job with how the kits are put together, the instructions are excellent, and the kits go together will little or not problems or surprises.
    Submarine Qualified, Chief Inducted, Navy Retired

Yes, I hope more kits will come out! Big fan of kits!

RC Champion
    I too prefer a kit. I enjoy building a kit. It allows me to see how the whole vehicle works in case I need to take something apart and fix it later on down the road. Traxxas has the best instructions of any kit I've ever put together, and they are many.

Traxxas Marshal
    I have been delighted to see the introduction of kits to the Traxxas lineup once again, and would love to see more. Memories of building kits from scratch are some of my best with this hobby.
    "Happiness depends upon ourselves." -Aristotle

RC Enthusiast
    I would love to see a Traxxas slash slider kit. My body, my electrics, my tires and built the way I want it. [shock oil and such] That way it should be way cheaper. Maybe 2 versions, one LSG and one not.

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by bandit2026 View Post
    I would love to see a Traxxas slash slider kit. My body, my electrics, my tires and built the way I want it. [shock oil and such] That way it should be way cheaper. Maybe 2 versions, one LSG and one not.
    I think you said it all. I see the kits as the only move for Traxxas.
    This forum is proof that people buy RTR, strip and replace.
    Why not save your customers a step. Saves them money, makes them happy.
    Happy customers are a good thing...

RC Qualifier
    I love my 2wd slash. A kit version would be awesome.

Still haven't seen anything on the main page but BigsquidRC mentioned it three days ago saying it is available only in store - not online - and provided this link:

https://traxxas.com/products/models/...kit?t=overview
    The Super Derecho

My stampede 4x4 is the kit version, and it was awesome putting it together. The only problem I had was glueing the maxx 2.8 chevron tires, I just couldnít get them to stay glued. Other than that, the kit was awesome.

I would love a slash kit, Iím already spinning ideas in my head on how to customize the build!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Double G View Post
    Still haven't seen anything on the main page but BigsquidRC mentioned it three days ago saying it is available only in store - not online - and provided this link:

I guess I kno what Iím buying next week

RC Qualifier

Nice. Great news.

I hope they included the 2075 servo and not the 2056. The base slash 2wd is such a good value hardware wise, it’s the perfect model to get people in the door and start spending.

I hope that doesn’t mean the assembled slash 2wd will go up I n price since this is priced 20 dollars more than the rtr version.
    Last edited by TwoBelugas; 06-06-2020 at 06:02 PM.

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by TwoBelugas View Post
    Nice. Great news.

I hope they included the 2075 servo and not the 2056. The base slash 2wd is such a good value hardware wise, itís the perfect model to get people in the door and start spending.

I hope that doesnít mean the assembled slash 2wd will go up I n price since this is priced 20 dollars more than the rtr version.
    The 2075 Servo would be great. I replaced the plastic gears with Savox 0251 gears just as an upgrade, not that I needed to. That was five years ago and I've had zero problems with it in my slash.

RC poster
    Quote Originally Posted by Blown94 View Post
    I was thinking the same thing, but on the website it says $219.99. How does that make sense? Just buy the cheaper ready to run version and build it the way you want. You even get a battery with it albeit a nimh. What am I missing here?

Quote Originally Posted by RCblast88 View Post
    I was thinking the same thing, but on the website it says $219.99. How does that make sense? Just buy the cheaper ready to run version and build it the way you want. You even get a battery with it albeit a nimh. What am I missing here?
    I'm asking myself the same question.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

RC Enthusiast
    Wait so they took away the battery and charger, a body that hasnt been painted, and it costs MORE??
    Everyone involved with this at traxxas needs to be fired.

This is why I just bought a used RTR on offer up. Now I can get an LCG kit and still be less than the "kit" they are offering.

They should at least throw in some premium parts like alloy shock caps or something.

RC Qualifier
    Do keep in mind that packaging, instruction and such for a new offering(in terms of assembly line)may end up costing them more to produce the kits than the established volume rtr models, per unit. Itís not as simple as unassembled always cost less. For a small outfit with fe product lines sure I can se that. But they hav to allocate floor space, personnel etc to create this while keeping everything else running costs money.

And even if it costs less overall per unit, they are not obligated to sell it at a thin margin. They just have to sell it at a price people feel is a better value than similar offerings from competitors.

Another case in point, I was looking at buying a UDR when they were selling for 679. Now they include a light kit and sell for 729. For me thatís not worth it, but clearly the buyers overall think it is, doesnít mean I hold resentment toward anyone, I am free to not buy it.

@Shinchu, some people would have gotten a clear body anyways, and don't really need a battery or charger. However, I think it would definitely be much improved (and by much, I mean a lot) if they even added aluminum shock caps (shouldn't really cost that much for them, since they sell them individually for $14 a set).

RC poster
    Quote Originally Posted by Shinchu View Post
    Wait so they took away the battery and charger, a body that hasnt been painted, and it costs MORE??
    Everyone involved with this at traxxas needs to be fired.
    Ok that seems a little harsh. IMO I just don't see them selling alot of the kits though since you can get the RTR version cheaper and sell off the parts you don't use to offset the costs of building it the way you want. I could be wrong though, but that is what I would do if I wanted to build another slash.

Quote Originally Posted by RCblast88 View Post
    Ok that seems a little harsh. IMO I just don't see them selling alot of the kits though since you can get the RTR version cheaper and sell off the parts you don't use to offset the costs of building it the way you want. I could be wrong though, but that is what I would do if I wanted to build another slash.
    At this price, is be surprised if they sell more than 500 kits. People will catch on to this "problem" VERY quickly. When it comes to "less for more" vs "more for less", even halfway intelligent people understand that the latter is MUCH better than the former.

Note to Traxxas: What ignoramus (let's consider that a real word) came up with this "brilliant" (cough, cough) marketing & pricing idea? Smart people are NOT find to be willing to pay more, for less. Unless your banking on only !d!0t$ purchasing this kit.

Last edited by Panther6834; 06-07-2020 at 07:32 PM.

RC Qualifier
    At this price, is be surprised if they sell more than 500 kits. People will catch on to this "problem" VERY quickly. When it comes to "less for more" vs "more for less", even halfway intelligent people understand that the latter is MUCH better than the former.

Note to Traxxas: What ignoramus (let's consider that a real word) came up with this "brilliant" (cough, cough) marketing & pricing idea? Smart people are NOT find to be willing to pay more, for less. Unless your banking on only !d!0t$ purchasing this kit.

I’m sure those savvy shoppers can go buy the numerous competitor’s budget 2wd shortcourse kit for less money all day long

Oh wait...

I guess Iím one of those idiots, because Iíll be getting this kit next week and Iíll enjoy every bit of it. This is going to be another fun build for me to customize as I see fit during the build process.

RC Racer
    [QUOTE=TwoBelugas;6540943]Nice. Great news.

I hope they included the 2075 servo and not the 2056. The base slash 2wd is such a good value hardware wise, it’s the perfect model to get people in the door and start spending.

I hope that doesn’t mean the assembled slash 2wd will go up I n price since this is priced 20 dollars more than the rtr version.[/
    ]

2075R
    https://traxxas.com/sites/default/fi...14-4_parts.pdf

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by monkeyracing View Post
    Nice. Great news.

I hope that doesn’t mean the assembled slash 2wd will go up I n price since this is priced 20 dollars more than the rtr version.
    2075R
    https://traxxas.com/sites/default/fi...14-4_parts.pdf
    Good find. Although I think it is 2075 standard as 2075R is bolded meaning it’s optional equipment. Still, good news.
    Last edited by TwoBelugas; 06-07-2020 at 11:55 PM.

Yes. As stated at the top of the parts list, anything in bold is optional. The exploded view lists it as the 2075.

Another plus about the kits is the manual to put it together where you see the stock settings of the front and rear camber links, toe links, steering link and the way Traxxas fills their shocks.

IMHO RTR is great for most as today's society is plug-and-play; however, I would prefer a kit. Reminds me of the time when I bought my Kyosho kits in the early 90's and put them together. The satisfaction of bringing something to life and watching it work as it should and knowing what went wrong and how to fix it. A while ago someone mentioned to build into the Traxxas site a "build your kit" where you would pick the chassis and parts - stock or optional (such as LCG, GTR shocks w/desired springs, colored arms, servo, clear/Prographix/painted body, radio: yes/no, battery: yes/no, etc) - and it would come to you in a box and you would assemble it. I poo-pooed the idea based on the logistics involved to pull it together but the more I think about it the more it would be a great idea.
    The Super Derecho

It's great to see this. However, as others have stated, I also believe the rtr will sell more, simply because "builders" will remove anything they deem undesireable and sell off the parts, then use this newly parlayed cash for the parts they do want, all on top of their lower initial investment.

Yes. As stated at the top of the parts list, anything in bold is optional. The exploded view lists it as the 2075.

Another plus about the kits is the manual to put it together where you see the stock settings of the front and rear camber links, toe links, steering link and the way Traxxas fills their shocks.

IMHO RTR is great for most as today's society is plug-and-play; however, I would prefer a kit. Reminds me of the time when I bought my Kyosho kits in the early 90's and put them together. The satisfaction of bringing something to life and watching it work as it should and knowing what went wrong and how to fix it. A while ago someone mentioned to build into the Traxxas site a "build your kit" where you would pick the chassis and parts - stock or optional (such as LCG, GTR shocks w/desired springs, colored arms, servo, clear/Prographix/painted body, radio: yes/no, battery: yes/no, etc) - and it would come to you in a box and you would assemble it. I poo-pooed the idea based on the logistics involved to pull it together but the more I think about it the more it would be a great idea.
    That would be an even more expensive route to go than this overpriced kit...however, a "custom kit" I could truly see people going for. Even if the kit ended up costing more than an RTR, the fact that a customer could fully customize their kit, added to the fact that it would probably still be less expensive than purchasing all the individual components, that would make it worth it to me.

I know if a fairly-small electrical components company based out of South San Francisco (NO connection to San Francisco) that operates, to a certain extent, in this exact manner. While they do sell pre-configured "whatevers", they also have a customizing side to the business, where customers can completely customer their "whatever". While most fully customized "whatevers" are usual ordered in quantities of one-dozen, to several-dozen, they have occasionally received ordered for as free as 1 customized "whatever". If a small company such as this can become a multi-million dollar a year business following that model, Traxxas souls have no problem being able to do the same thing.

RC Qualifier
    See post #5.....LOL

Are they out of their minds???? More expensive then a RTR???? LOL

RC Qualifier
    That would be an even more expensive route to go than this overpriced kit...however, a "custom kit" I could truly see people going for. Even if the kit ended up costing more than an RTR, the fact that a customer could fully customize their kit, added to the fact that it would probably still be less expensive than purchasing all the individual components, that would make it worth it to me.

I know if a fairly-small electrical components company based out of South San Francisco (NO connection to San Francisco) that operates, to a certain extent, in this exact manner. While they do sell pre-configured "whatevers", they also have a customizing side to the business, where customers can completely customer their "whatever". While most fully customized "whatevers" are usual ordered in quantities of one-dozen, to several-dozen, they have occasionally received ordered for as free as 1 customized "whatever". If a small company such as this can become a multi-million dollar a year business following that model, Traxxas souls have no problem being able to do the same thing.

Yeah...that’s not how RC car factories in China, or in traxxas’ case, Taiwan, are set up to operate. Even smaller outfits like tekno and proline have all their kits sealed in Taiwan before shipping here to distributors. And that level of customization would be difficult to pull off unless a lot of people are willing to pay for it for a mix-n-match team to be dedicated to it, those people would need to know more than just the assembly workers.

I don’t think there is a single major RC brand that can support what we do but on their side without the prices being astronomical to 90% of the market.

What we have today is okay I think, where chop shops exist to be able to offer us 95% of what a kit does, and we can put the partial kits together using exploded views and buy non-standard parts as we go.
    Last edited by TwoBelugas; 06-08-2020 at 12:10 PM.

What we have today is okay I think, where chop shops exist to be able to offer us 95% of what a kit does, and we can put the partial kits together using exploded views and buy non-standard parts as we go.
    I understand what you're saying on the manufacturers part...but I want thinking such on a global scale from the factory. I was thinking more along the lines of, they could offer something like this in select markets, and each of those markets would have its own "packaging" facility. The factory could ship boxes to these locations, having the 'necessities' (chassis, battery cover "arm", bulkhead, gears, etc), and these facilities could then add into the boxes the "custom order" parts. It would be difficult in the beginning...but, if they gave it it honest try (which, we know, they won't), they could make it work.

~ More peace, love, laughter, & kindness would make the world a MUCH better place
    Last edited by cooleocool; 06-10-2020 at 02:19 AM. Reason: Language abuse/non-Traxxas

RC Qualifier
    I understand what you're saying on the manufacturers part...but I want thinking such on a global scale from the factory. I was thinking more along the lines of, they could offer something like this in select markets, and each of those markets would have its own "packaging" facility. The factory could ship boxes to these locations, having the 'necessities' (chassis, battery cover "arm", bulkhead, gears, etc), and these facilities could then add into the boxes the "custom order" parts. It would be difficult in the beginning...but, if they gave it it honest try (which, we know, they won't), they could make it work.

~ More peace, love, laughter, & kindness would make the world a MUCH better place
    A semi custom shop for a company like traxxas may work if there is demand, since all their stuff stays in production for a while, but the cost of diverting assembly ready parts to the Locations close to the market and staffing them would be cost prohibitive though.

Perhaps an alternative would be to have an ultimate kit for the more popular models, so the factory hop ups are already there in the package and the redundant base level parts are taken out?

Any time a company intruduces a new assembly processs that requires set up time and tooling change its money down the drain unless the throughput warrants it. Since traxxas already makes the ultimate Sl4sh, we can assume a subkit for sl4sh lcg without all the shiny aluminum bits already exist.

But if people expect to get all the essentials for say under 100 and then buy all intergy level junk because factory stuff costs more, then I don’t see why traxxas should undercut itself to profit a competitor
    Last edited by cooleocool; 06-10-2020 at 02:19 AM. Reason: modified quote

A semi custom shop for a company like traxxas may work if there is demand, since all their stuff stays in production for a while, but the cost of diverting assembly ready parts to the Locations close to the market and staffing them would be cost prohibitive though.

Perhaps an alternative would be to have an ultimate kit for the more popular models, so the factory hop ups are already there in the package and the redundant base level parts are taken out?

Any time a company intruduces a new assembly processs that requires set up time and tooling change its money down the drain unless the throughput warrants it. Since traxxas already makes the ultimate Sl4sh, we can assume a subkit for sl4sh lcg without all the shiny aluminum bits already exist.

But if people expect to get all the essentials for say under 100 and then buy all intergy level junk because factory stuff costs more, then I donít see why traxxas should undercut itself to profit a competitor
    I get what your saying. What I was thinking was that, in "custom", everything would be there, except, say, the body, transmitter, and receiver. It's just that, instead of Traxxas deciding what, exactly, is included, the consumer would have a few 'options' to choose from. For example, in regards to shocks, the "default" would be the Ultra shocks, but customers could upgrade to the aluminum caps, or the GTR shocks. In other words, for each part where customers would have 'options', there could be a "default", "Tier 1" option, and (for some options) a "Tier 2" option. For the driveshafts, the plastic would be the "default", and the HD CVDs would be the "Tier 1". For the steering blocks, rear carriers, etc, the plastic would be the "default", and the machined aluminum would be the "Tier 1".

Customers wouldn't be able to 'opt out' of any parts...all parts would be required, but customers would them be able to choose whether they wanted the 'basic', or upgraded, parts. Heck, Traxxas could even up their game, by partnering with Pro-Line, JConcepts, etc, giving customers a few different tire/wheel options. Traxxas wouldn't even have to stick the tires/wheels - Traxxas would collect the money, the 'partner' would get their cut, and the 'partner' would ship the wheels/tires separately from the rest of the kit. It is possible, very viable, and definitely doable...but, as well have both already agreed, Traxxas would probably never do it - they feel "safe" the way they are, and they're not willing, or interested, in seeing what's "outside the box".

RC Racer
    Good find. Although I think it is 2075 standard as 2075R is bolded meaning it’s optional equipment. Still, good news.
    Story of my life. Always one letter of.
    Last edited by cooleocool; 06-10-2020 at 02:18 AM. Reason: language abuse

Traxxas Marshal
    Reminds me of the time when I bought my Kyosho kits in the early 90's and put them together. The satisfaction of bringing something to life and watching it work as it should and knowing what went wrong and how to fix it.
    Yup, this is the best part about building kits. I'll never forget my first, a Traxxas Bandit. I had built a few more since that time, including completely "reverse engineering" a kit for a Traxxas Bullet. I remember when my dad built his first, too, a Stampede; however, at that time, I had no idea what a hobby grade R/C was...I would come to appreciate that a couple of years later.
    "Happiness depends upon ourselves." -Aristotle