Thread: Axe 550 combo

RC Racer

Axe 550 combo

So for the first time, I have replaced my stock esc and motor despite nothing being broken lol

How do I connect my light module? Before I had 1 wire to receiver and the other connected directly on esc. But with new esc, there is no wire to connect the plug I am holding in pic.

Any advice?

Sent from my SM-G965W using Tapatalk
    Last edited by B-stinga; 05-27-2020 at 02:27 PM.

There is an adapter to convert the receiver plug to the JST plug.
    Plug it into the receiver, and plug the lights into the JST plug.
    The fourth one down on the link: https://www.amazon.com/Accessories-c...609335&sr=8-22

If you don't mind soldering, then you can switch the plugs around on this one:
    https://www.amazon.com/FPVKing-Split...0611811&sr=8-5

RC Champion
    I'm assuming the plug gave it power from the esc, so you might need to get a bec to step the voltage down to what the lights were rated for, unless your batteries are ok at the volts it lists to hook up directly.

I just pulled off the JST plug from the XL5 and soldered it on directly on to the power wires. It works pretty well on 3s lipo.
    Jumping: maneuver and pray it won't break.

RC Racer
    So the red wire already goes to the receiver. The black one used to go to esc.
    So I can convert the plug to fit the receiver, but it doesnt make sense in my head to have 2 seperate plugs going to the same place.
    Also the black wire (as in pic) is actually 2 wires... can I turn them into 1, and then install the black and red into one connector and plug in the receiver?

Before I did the change I was using an external bec for the 400 servo. But this esc has an internal bec and says in manual not to add an external.
    The output current is switchable 6v/7.4v. How do I determine which one I need it set on?

I am pretty handy, and I like to learn new things, but electricity is just a bunch of giberish to me
    I really like plug-n-play lol

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by TITANIUM94010 View Post
    I just pulled off the JST plug from the XL5 and soldered it on directly on to the power wires. It works pretty well on 3s lipo.
    I like this idea as it seems like the simplest to me...
    I have spare jst plugs... so I can just solder them directly to the battery leads and plug my black wire in there as it was with traxxas esc?

Yep, that's how I did it, red wire on the red, black wire on black.

I did fry one of the black light adapter boxes the first time I tried, I don't know why it happened but I was fiddling a lot with it, the positive probably touched the negative wire when I had the battery plugged in, whups.
    Jumping: maneuver and pray it won't break.

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by TITANIUM94010 View Post
    Yep, that's how I did it, red wire on the red, black wire on black.

I did fry one of the black light adapter boxes the first time I tried, I don't know why it happened but I was fiddling a lot with it, the positive probably touched the negative wire when I had the battery plugged in, whups.
    Thank you sir.
    Worked like a charm
    Let there be light

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by B-stinga View Post
    So the red wire already goes to the receiver. The black one used to go to esc.
    So I can convert the plug to fit the receiver, but it doesnt make sense in my head to have 2 seperate plugs going to the same place.
    Also the black wire (as in pic) is actually 2 wires... can I turn them into 1, and then install the black and red into one connector and plug in the receiver?

Before I did the change I was using an external bec for the 400 servo. But this esc has an internal bec and says in manual not to add an external.
    The output current is switchable 6v/7.4v. How do I determine which one I need it set on?

I am pretty handy, and I like to learn new things, but electricity is just a bunch of giberish to me
    I really like plug-n-play lol

It depends on servo voltage, żis 6v or 7,4v?, the internal BEC of this ESC is very good, I have it in one of my rigs.

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by Juanmacine View Post
    It depends on servo voltage, żis 6v or 7,4v?, the internal BEC of this ESC is very good, I have it in one of my rigs.
    400 oz @ 6v
    But with my limited understanding of electricity, I am unsure whether I should be at 6 or 7.4 on the bec because I have
    A: the large servo
    B: the light box, which depending on the body I am using, can have up to 3 traxxas light sets plugged into the box.

Now the servo requires 6v and the light box emits 3v.
    Am I understanding correctly if I say:
    The esc emits 6v at all times to anything connected to it, no matter how many items, but the # of items will simply determine battery life?

ie: I plug 20 light sets that all require 3v or less and 2 servos at 6v, the esc will provide, but so many thing would drain the power.

Am I making any sense?

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by B-stinga View Post
    400 oz @ 6v
    But with my limited understanding of electricity, I am unsure whether I should be at 6 or 7.4 on the bec because I have
    A: the large servo
    B: the light box, which depending on the body I am using, can have up to 3 traxxas light sets plugged into the box.

Now the servo requires 6v and the light box emits 3v.
    Am I understanding correctly if I say:
    The esc emits 6v at all times to anything connected to it, no matter how many items, but the # of items will simply determine battery life?

ie: I plug 20 light sets that all require 3v or less and 2 servos at 6v, the esc will provide, but so many thing would drain the power.

Am I making any sense?

You're right, you can put you want, the BEC emits 6V, always, but the battery life are shorter, of course, the Axe is a very well stuff and consumes low energy. Stay on 6V, probably the LED's high imput voltage is 6V.