RC Racer

Battery wiring/connectors

Hi folks, I'm thinking of switching to XT-series connectors for batteries for an ERBE v1 running 4S. Ideally I'd like to switch to XT60s and 12-gauge wire for compatibility, ease of soldering, etc., but I'm not sure if that would lead to any bottlenecks where the wiring is limiting performance (again, this is at 4S). Would XT90 connectors and 10-gauge wire be the only way to go here? Thanks!

EDIT for some context: I'm not exactly opposed to Traxxas or XT90 connectors, but the battery maintenance (charging/discharging/etc.) gear I'm looking at has native XT-60 ports on it, so if there aren't any performance concerns XT60 would allow me to do everything without adapters.
    Last edited by kirbysdl; 05-27-2020 at 02:45 PM.

RC Champion
    The xt-60's will be fine, that's all I use on my 2s and xt-90's on 3s. 10 gauge would be better with 3s and up otherwise you'll be fine.

RC Enthusiast
    12 gauge was a bear for me to solder onto xt60s. I just got a new kick butt charger that uses those connectors but all my charge leads are banana so I made up some adapters. I ended up cutting off a few strands to make it easier to solder onto the xt60

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

RC Racer
    Yeah i'm not looking forward to soldering 10-gauge onto XT-60, so I'm hoping 12 will work. that said, a lot of big packs have 10 gauge wire coming out of them anyway ...

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by kirbysdl View Post
    Yeah i'm not looking forward to soldering 10-gauge onto XT-60, so I'm hoping 12 will work. that said, a lot of big packs have 10 gauge wire coming out of them anyway ...
    Make sure when you solder any of the xt's you put the male and female together to keep them from deforming and use a good heat source for minimal amount of time on the connector. I use a Hako soldering iron that goes up to 800+ degrees in seconds, so to solder 12 gauge onto the xt-60's is fast and 10 gauge to the xt-90's is still farely fast, both solder in under 6 seconds.
    I turn the cups where the wire goes on the xt's facing the skinny end of the plugs and fill them with solder then tin the wire and use a drum sanding wheel on my dremel to get them comepletly round, lay them in the solder filled cup and hold the heat to the top and done.