RC poster

Battery and lipo advice

I'm brand to all this.

I have a a Slash 4x4 and a Hi Tec charger that has a XT60 male connector. I also just bought some male Traxxas to female Xt60 adapters.

I have two SMC 2S lipos that I have never used and have been sitting around for 4 yrs. Someone on another forum told me that they will not work and I shouldn't charge them, so I am now looking for something else. I want to get something else, nothing more than a 2S lipo and I want it to be as safe as possible, so I want to avoid any questionable brands.

1. Would you suggest I try my SMC lipos or just toss them?

2. Can someone recommend a 2S lipo to get? Should I just get more SMC ones or should I look for some cheap lipo on Amazon? I do not want to do any soddering and would like it, if possible to be compatible with my current connections and adapters.

3. Can someone tell me what type of connector this is that I have with my charger https://imgur.com/a/wkUqPCu
    Is this another possibility for charging type?

Thanks!

SMC is a good brand. Check the voltages of the cells. Unlikely that for sitting that long they would be good so if you are not experienced with lipos then find SMC's recommendation of how to properly dispose of them.

The likelihood of soldering is pretty high as most batteries do not come with the XT60's installed. Don't buy an adapter from one style plug to another as they cause heat and power draw issues.

Tamiya plug. The go-to 20+ years ago. Cannot handle the power the battery supplies and ESC draws of today's systems.
    The Super Derecho

RC poster
    1. If the lipos never held a charge, is there any risk to just throwing them away? Without any charge can they still smoke/catch fire?

2. My SMC lipos had the XT60 connectors so they connected directly to the Slash. I needed the adapters to use with my charger. Is it an issue to use the adapters with the charger?

3. Should I consider cutting the connectors off the old SMC lipos before tossing them? Are they useful for anything in the future if I get into soddering?

Thanks

RC Champion
    You should do as Double G stated and check the cells voltage. I would not want to be responsible if I was you if you just threw them out and something happened, so check SMC'S website for proper disposal, it's the ethical thing to do.
    I don't use adapters to charge nor does anyone I know so no recommendation from me there, my Hitec came with xt-60, xt-90 and deans. You can order or make whatever charging leads you need for whatever batteries you buy.

If your into rc's a soldering iron is just another tool that is always used and doesn't take long to get the hang of (watch lots of youtube vid's), with that being said don't go cheap. You can get a Hako for 100.00 ish and it'll do everything you ever need.
    https://www.amazon.com/Hakko-FX888D-...0645148&sr=8-2

If you plan on keeping the wires and connectors from the old batteries (I do) make sure you cut them seperately and about an inch apart in height to stop any arcing or accidental shorts and mishaps (everyones capable of brain malfunctions lol) and then dispose of them through manufacturing recomendations.
    I hope this answered some of your questions.

1. Lipos come from the dealer with a storage charge. If they have not been touched in years it is likely they could have lost some or all of that charge. Again, find out with the voltage is of the of individual cells and contact SMC for further help. They may recommend disposal.

2. If you feel no heat coming from the adapters during charging then it may be okay. I wouldn't use adapters between the ESC and battery - I prefer to have the battery supply as much power as the ESC can pull.

3. No issue with reusing connectors, just cut them off one wire at a time and do not short the leads.
    The Super Derecho

I use adapters on my charger without issue up to 10A (charger is 4x10A/4x100W). It's actually kind of stupid at this point as everything I have now has XT90's on it. The charger came with 2xEC3 and 2xDeans. I got adapters to go from ec3->traxxas and deans->traxxas as I was running traxxas connectors on everything. And now I have added traxxas->XT90, lol, so I have 2 adapters on each one. Still, it's only 10A and hasn't caused an issue in about a years worth of use. I wouldn't outright recommend doing multiple adapters, but just one should be fine on the charger unless your cranking out 20+ amps and are parallel charging.

I don't use adapters on my trucks though as that's a much higher current draw.

As for the old lipo's, I say check the voltage to see if they are still in a safe/usable state, 3V+ on each cell. However, I'm currently having issues with a couple SMC 2S packs that I bought in 2018, but never used until recently. They don't balance well, take forever to charge and my run times are very short. Considering the time wasted with them already, I'm just going to accept the loss of $80 I spent on them and get new ones.

With lipo's that I decommission, I usually discharge them to 3V on my charger, then I run them fully dead using a light bulb, can take forever unless you have a bunch of 12V car brake light bulbs in series. I don't have a bunch, so it takes time. Once the bulb goes out and the pack cools off with the bulb still plugged in, I cut the battery leads, then twist them together and solder them so the pack doesn't recover any voltage. Then they should be relatively safe to dispose of. I know best buy and lowes has electronics disposal boxes at the store that you can drop stuff in.
    https://www.youtube.com/c/olds97lss