RC poster

A nudge in the right direction please

Hello,

Just placed the order for the Slash 4x4 Ultimate in green. Been away from RC for a while now, see signature for all the Traxxas products that are currently taking up space in my storage unit. Got the itch to get back into this almost got the E Revo 2.0 VXL, but due to the extreme scarcity of that unit during our current locked at home culture. I found the Slash online and at a minor discount and figured I could start back up with this and if and when we return to anything near normal life and those units become available again I could always get one then.

I decided on the electric over the gas as I just got worn out constantly tuning and cleaning my Revo. And to be honest the speed and reliability seems to have risen in the Traxxas models in the last few years.

Anyway cutting to the chase, 2 things I would like some direction, advice with. Batteries (thinking Lipo) will buy 2 minimum to start. I have a high end charger but it's a few years old and want to make sure I charge, maintain and balance properly what ever is recommended so will likely get the Traxxas branded charger unless someone recommends something else.

Last thing I need direction on for now is rims and tires, are the stock ones sufficient to to handle the 3cell Lipo's, or should I be looking for a belted tire? Recommendations.

Lastly as the truck already has a bunch of upgraded parts, is there something else I should add pretty quickly to the kit? I know on the E Revo the aluminum body brace is a near must.

Sorry for the long post just looking to maximize the fun without breaking it first time out lol.

Cheers all.

RC Qualifier
    I'd recommend batteries with at least 50-100c rating. You will notice a difference over batteries rated at 25-30c rating. And you will need a charger designed for lipos to balance charge and discharge, i'm not sure if your "old" charger was made for lipos. I would run the stock tires until they're worn out then replace them according to what you want out of the truck.

Sent from my VS996 using Tapatalk

Accepting requests for bashing at GREENWOOD BASHPLEX in Pittsburgh PA!! Check the thread in the track buddy forum and reply there or pm
    The s1 compound tires that come on the truck are good tires. Better than standard slash tires. not the best but good. I had no issues on 3s with them. They do balloon. If you don't want the ballooning, belted tires may be better. Don't use the center diff on 3s, I melted 1 on 3s. Use slipper clutch it takes 3s better.

Sent from my moto e5 cruise using Tapatalk
    Ya can't polish fertilizer...

RC poster
    Thank you both for the advice.

In reading through the forums today while waiting for one of my systems to finish updating. There seems to be a concern with running 3s batteries on the Slash. I should be ok though with the Ultimate as they have already upgraded to handle 3s packs yes? Or do I need to adjust my gearing. And I will wait for these tires to wear out while I get used to this truck and how it handles.

Thanks again guys.

You might need to adjust your gearing depending on how fast you want to go, the type of terrain you drive on, your style of driving, etc. You just need to monitor the temperatures and make sure it doesnt get too hot. If it runs cool and you want to go faster, throw a bigger pinion on. If it runs too hot, put a smaller one on and experiment. The truck can handle 3s just fine stock as long as you watch the temperatures.
    Monster Baja Sla2h VXL
    Rustler VXL

RC Enthusiast
    Mine only seems to get hot if I let a mess of grass and debris to collect in the chassis around the speed controller and motor.
    I decided on the Traxxas batteries and charger... I also have a older high end charger from flying racing quads. I did not want to have to cut the Traxxas battery connector off and risk my warranty. The side benefit is, if I happen to get a little medicated while I'm messing with my RC it is REALLY REALLY hard to mess up a charge.