RC poster

Question Nitro 4tec 3.3 - Issues Steering at the same time as braking and Accelerating?

Issues Steering at the same time as braking and Accelerating?

Is this just low quality batterys perhaps in the car, the Controller says Green if I put either set in it and does not flash any codes stays green so should have a good link. So I'm just curious if this would be a symptom if the batterys were a crap brand and it simply did not have the output to turn and brake or accel. and turn. I will say they were dollar store batterys and I got a bout 20 min of use before this issue started and no bumps or mini accidents prior so Im 90% sure its just these cheapo batterys that say there 1.5v AA but are not.

Anyways let me know if this is a possible symptom as I got lucky chasing it down and was cornering when this issue happened twice and then after this happends it seems to stop responding to inputs also and then comes back and goes away but the controller never says it looses a connection and also I left the car off and walked the distance of the parking lot testing the steering and could hear it responding at the limits of the lot I was in.

So my theory is its taking more drain then these cheapo batterys can handle when doing that many things and then looses the juice to do anything for a bit and they only worked fine when they where brand new because I only used it for like 15min to make sure it ran as it had been 15 years, ( The batterys were new but dollar store ones I know Likely my answer right there but just to be sure)

But thought I would post in case this does sound like something else to a pro user before I take it out again with good quality batterys.

And second question well im here, how can I tune the brake to be better on this car. if there is a way, Thanks

Best to go with a rechargeable hump or flat pack for the electronics. AA alkaline are okay but you'll be eating them up. AA rechargeables don't give you the power.

I've had issues with random electronics cutting out due to an antenna issue. Updating my radio system took care of it.
    The Super Derecho

Quote Originally Posted by theguy39 View Post
    And second question well im here, how can I tune the brake to be better on this car. if there is a way, Thanks
    There's multiple ways to adjust the brakes. A popular and easy way to modify the braking feel is by changing the fuel line by the brake cam shaft out for either a spring, or heavier (or lighter) duty fuel line. For example, my new Jato 3.3 had bad braking performance, as they all do in the stock configuration, and I found a ton of reasons why it was performing poorly. But, the Jato comes with a spring instead of the fuel tubing piece, so I put doubled up fuel tubing in its place. I stuffed a small piece of fuel tubing into a big piece, and it really helped with raw braking power.

Don't go overboard or put something very hard in place of that fuel tubing though. It will turn your brakes into a switch instead of being controllable. On a side note too, I didn't think nitro cars brakes got that hot, but with these high speed models, I found my brake disc reaching temps of 250-280 degrees F just from a couple speed passes. So fade is a real possibility, but a much harder problem to solve on these cars. In order to reduce the heat in my brakes on my Jato, I had to remove machining artifacts from the brake calipers to ensure the piston had complete and even contact with the calipers. Shouldn't ever need to be done, but it did on my Jato. And now even though the brakes get hot like normal, they work great. They actually function better once they heat up a bit.

As for the batteries, you are right. None of my nitro models use AA batteries, it's a waste of time/money. When you hit the brakes on a nitro car, the servo is performing the mechanical work that squeezes the brake disc. And it does this essentially by stalling the servo, which draws a lot of amps. This will cause a large voltage sag in your AA batteries, and drops the voltage low enough to cause brownouts, which is when the receiver shuts off due to low voltage. This is a common issue for airplanes, because they have at least 4 servos usually, which draws a lot of power.

Nimh rechargeable receiver batteries can handle the current a million times better than AA batteries. It's an upgrade I do to new nitros before they even get broken in.

Hope this helps.
    -Mike

RC poster
    Thanks for both your replies I will grab some new batterys for it, I will have to check out those Nimh ones. And I think I understood most if not all of the parts about the brakes. I actually lost brakes completely a while back. And had to learn how to put most of that part back together.

Thanks for both your replies I will grab some new batterys for it, I will have to check out those Nimh ones. And I think I understood most if not all of the parts about the brakes. I actually lost brakes completely a while back. And had to learn how to put most of that part back together.
    Sounds like a good plan. If you have a temp gauge for your engine, i urge you to hit the disc brake with it and see how hot it gets. It's crazy. I touched mine before I thought it got that hot and it hurt real bad. The temps make a difference! I find my brakes work best above 180F, and start to become weak at 280F. Almost like high performance full scale brakes lol.

Good luck! I forget what shape AA holder the 4-tec has, but beware that the traxxas branded Nimh is the only one that fits easily, in my experience with the revo and jato. Trying to put other brand or bigger (but sooo close fitting) receiver batteries is a nightmare. I had to cut up my Jato box to get a normal rx nimh from the shop to fit in it. So measure your battery bay carefully, or if you find a pack in store, ask if they can test fit it. I proved the guys at the hobbyshop wrong twice by asking them if it fit, helped us both save some wasted time and effort. Go nitro!

-Mike

RC poster
    "I forget what shape AA holder the 4-tec has, but beware that the traxxas branded Nimh is the only one that fits easily"

Yeah I will likely just try some higher quality AA's instead of dollar store 8 packs first. The Deisgn on this 4tec 3.3 is a square 4 single battery holder and regular AAs fit pretty tightly already. It does look like it would be easy to rewire the 2 wires to any pack that outputs similar power output and I might do this in the future since then I could use the same charger for the Electric start for that part as well!

...It does look like it would be easy to rewire the 2 wires to any pack that outputs similar power output and I might do this in the future since then I could use the same charger for the Electric start for that part as well!
    No need to go to trouble trying to make your own wiring. Traxxas sells an adapter that allows you to charge a rechargeable pack (Rx battery) with the same charger for the EZ-start wand battery. Traxxas part #3028

RC poster
    Yeah I just tossed some energiser max batterys in it and can already tell before even starting it it can full throttle and full brake with full steering also so was deff. batteries! I shall be back going for a rip, wish me luck its been a while hopefully I don't crash or flip it. I actually installed custom wider tires a guy from ebay makes with rims. And they have full tread and it corners so much better, but when they are new it can corner so sharp it can flip. But I love it at higher speeds you can steer without the sliding effect of the slicks that come with it and manuver under cards or around a post almost instantly! Will need a new set after today likely there tread is getting low.

RC poster
    Well I need new tires now lol, had to put stock ones back on it shreded my custom ones. Runs awsome. And I noticed the little piece of rubber tubing if I just moved it a bit the brakes were twice as good so i just need to customize that little tubing or swap it for a stronger spring and ill have amazing brrakes but they were good enough today!

RC poster
    One Last question ill leave on this thread since its also an easy one. Does Traxxas or anyone make a more solid or metal body for the nitro 4tec 3.3, I don't care if it looses speed and accel. it is to fast for most lots anyways. Best I can do now that brakes are decent is hit the 2nd gear and then start braking the second it does lol.

They don't really make cages for touring style cars, no. Learn to drive carefully lol. Or, you could gear it down for more acceleration, that way you could use 2nd gear more effectively.

-Mike

Quote Originally Posted by nebulous.cow View Post
    They don't really make cages for touring style cars, no. Learn to drive carefully lol. Or, you could gear it down for more acceleration, that way you could use 2nd gear more effectively.
    Gearing down would let you use both gears in a smaller area
    You might be able to find an aftermarket body that fits, they are made out of heavier plastic and hold up better. You would need to compare measurements.
    Look through the picture gallery for ideas.

RC poster
    Honestly there simply no lots in my small town flat and clean enough for it to even need to go into second or barely use first so I wont bother. And yes I got lucky a couple times. I actually didnt notice my back left tire shredded yesterday near the end of my runs. Was out for about hour or 2 but the custom tires I had were quite heavily used already. And when that back one shredded down to far it pulled hard to the left as I was seeing how fast I could rip in this little lot and the braking time ect....Well it hit the curb but I got lucky the custom rim in front took brunt of the impact and actually launched it into an endo 540 about 10 ft in the air and then landed perfectly right side up on some soft grass and didnt even shut off lol. I ran over thinking its done this time and put it back on the pavement and kept going for another 30 min after I swapped the stock wheels back on with no issues.

I only noticed the rim took the most of that impact after when I was looking to find someone who makes a similar tread pattern and size of the custom ones I had and saw the one 5 Spoke sport look rim was missing a spoke and cracked all through but those wheels were done anyways. It already needed some mild alignment adjustments and that actually made it a bit straighter without having to max the trim.

I will have to order some new tires now and grab new gas as the gas was 3-4 years old and surprised it ran fine and didnt over heat or anything, so used the rest of it up. And once I get the new Rims and Tires I will tune my suspension a bit better and fix the alignment / make brakes stronger. All at the same time! Is is possible to get a TSM unit for the Nitro 4tec 3.3 AWD, not huge deal it goes pretty straight on full throttle with new tires.

And as for the bodys ok, I saw some that said they were 1/10 also and full metal and I figured I could just drill out all the holes it needed or something. Its ok also my first HPI I bought had 1 day and used for 15 min before totalling it haha. Took me hour to get it started with pull start on that one and then when I moved to a longer road, I forgot to pull the antenna out when I took off on a straight away top speed stretch, lost signal and it went pedal to the metal into a curb crashed hard almost when through an industrial shops window and then landed upside down and stayed full throttle till the clutch blew because I couldnt run over fast enough but the whole metal frame was bent on that one also from the hit so it was done. Had a buddy buy that one and said he got it fixed and working so that was good. Then I saw this traxxas one and videos and fell in love and almost broke this one not from being a bad driver but from the open plastic gear design. Kept getting unlucky with a little pebble in the gears and first time I thought it was stuck and burnt out the clutch, second time I learned and ran over shut it off checked for rocks and sure enough was rock in the gear jamming it! But since then not anything major a roll here and there and had to reglue the wing on the back, which is not just there for cosmetics I might add. But engine seems strong and I try to clean the air filter often and take decent care of it
    Last edited by Double G; 05-30-2020 at 07:00 AM.

Sounds like you are having a blast!
    You can install TSM on the 4-tec. Just need a TSM receiver and a transmitter that works with the TSM receiver.