RC Enthusiast

Question Is there any way to get a sidewinder 3 ecu to work with a Velineon motor?

Iím wanting to get my other slash working but I only have a side winder 3 ecu. Is there any way to make it work with a Velineon brushless motor?
    Slash 4x4 brushless>everything else

RC Racer
    Install 4mm male bullets on the motor to match the esc.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

RC Enthusiast
    Alright I’m not sure how would I go about installing those on my motor though.
    Last edited by NurturantQuasar; 05-28-2020 at 05:22 PM.

RC Enthusiast
    Alright nvm i looked up stuff it requires some tools I don’t have so I’ll just save up for another Velineon ecu.

If you're going to "save up" for it... might as well just save up and get a good solder system and it can serve you for the rest of your life in this hobby.
    Creativity is intelligence having fun. -Einstein

Quote Originally Posted by NurturantQuasar View Post
    Alright nvm i looked up stuff it requires some tools I donít have so Iíll just save up for another Velineon ecu.
    Or you could get adapters to go from 3.5mm male bullet (Traxxas motor wires) to 4mm female bullet connector (Castle ESC connector).
    Here is an example https://www.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...01p?I=GPMM3123

Quote Originally Posted by grizzly03 View Post
    Or you could get adapters to go from 3.5mm male bullet (Traxxas motor wires) to 4mm female bullet connector (Castle ESC connector).
    Here is an example https://www.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...01p?I=GPMM3123
    For most people these adapters will work fine but understand they will make any settings for "timing" inaccurate if you use them.

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by zedorda View Post
    For most people these adapters will work fine but understand they will make any settings for "timing" inaccurate if you use them.
    How does this effect timing? Doesn't seem like it should make any difference, but I do not have much experience toying with esc timing. Does the added resistance of additional connectors interfere with back emf?

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

I've used the 3.5mm to 4mm bullet adapters before also, and they worked fine. I also don't see how a set of 3 simple connector adapters would affect timing.

I made my own adapters and ran the velineon off a SW3 for 2 years with no issues.

With brushless timing is done slightly different than brushed where you turn the end bell of the motor. With brushless the esc changes the signal timing and the length of the wires are part of the equation. Not saying changing the timing will not work it will just be slightly off. For most people this is a null issue but racers may have concerns.

RC Enthusiast
    Well I don’t race, no one does races were I live so I’m not to worried about timing I just have fun driving around on my street and doing donuts in my garage and getting air by flying through this one spot on my lawn. But I have one question would the timing being slightly off cause the motor to run hotter? And side question how do you add a profile picture? I haven’t been able to find where you do it at.
    Last edited by NurturantQuasar; 05-29-2020 at 10:06 PM.

Except when running in a sensored setup, then it uses the sensors inside the motor.

...For most people this is a null issue but racers may have concerns.
    If your a racer and worrying about things like motor timing, you wouldn't be using adapters in the first place.

Quote Originally Posted by NurturantQuasar View Post
    ...But I have one question would the timing being slightly off cause the motor to run hotter?...
    Check the settings of the Sensorless Motor Timing on the Sidewinder 3. Changing it to a lower setting will allow the motor to run cooler.
    There is probably a difference between the Traxxas Esc's and the Castle Esc's "standard" timing profiles.

Quote Originally Posted by grizzly03 View Post
    Except when running in a sensored setup, then it uses the sensors inside the motor.

If your a racer and worrying about things like motor timing, you wouldn't be using adapters in the first place.

Check the settings of the Sensorless Motor Timing on the Sidewinder 3. Changing it to a lower setting will allow the motor to run cooler.
    There is probably a difference between the Traxxas Esc's and the Castle Esc's "standard" timing profiles.
    1 - No they are used to detect the position of the shaft. Causing the adjustments made by the ESC from the sensor readings incorrect since the sensors would not be affected. Because the sensors don't use the power mains at all. FAIL

2 - Dump people race also. FAIL

3 - Maybe but it would be so slight as to not matter. Only those possibly reading this thread who are interested in the affect to the timing would care.

Last item of note. If you accidentally admit to using them to a Traxxas rep while filing a warranty request it will get denied. Because they void the warranty.
    Last edited by zedorda; 06-01-2020 at 01:18 AM.

If adapters are so bad for timing, why would Castle, and others be using connectors between the motor and ESC. Esc's like Tekin would be a much better choice because they are a solder connection.

If sensors cannot be used to advance timing how does Hobbywing do it?

Why mention and make a point of motor timing in a thread "asking how to get it to work?" if the amount of timing that is affected is so minuscule that it's irrelevant?

Holy cow could you misunderstand more often or is it just your way of frustrating people? I never said bad. It is a condition that is not planned for. The length of the power mains from the motor to the esc is part of the calculation for brushless motor timing. When you change the length of the power leads you change part of the calculation. Without changing the programming directly or a developer adding in a feature where you can input the length of the power leads there is no way to for correct it.

As for your other misunderstanding. The sensors are not directly "used" in motor timing but is used to locate the shafts position so the ESC can correctly calculation, with high precision, the needed adjustments to the signal sent to motor to change the timing accurately. Without sensors the timing is still done the same way just without the precise location of the shaft. The ESC does an educated guess hence the increased cogging. Cogging is when the ESC does not accurately predict the location of the shaft and calculates the timing so far off you can hear and see it.

Why mention these things? Mostly because like many things the hobby of RC is a web of interconnectedness. (I know it is not a word just couldn't find the right one.) And not everyone considers how one thing can effect another. Some like to know this stuff and since these threads can be read by many more than the OP it is here for those who care to learn. And these details are only irrelevant to those who don't worry about that .001 of a second they lost the race over.

Adapters are never the correct/best way to fix a problem there are always compromises.

Why do you try and correct people about subject matter you have little to no technical knowledge about? If you are just trying to learn let me clue you in on something. Your method is highly frustrating.

I will not be commenting in this thread any longer since it is heading to a toxic conclusion and I don't believe learning is something that is happening. Please have a nice day.

IMO That racer would adjust their timings for the performance they want with the setup they plan on running and not by actual timing numbers.