RC Competitor

What's slowing my Slash down?

Hey, all! My Slash 4x4 vxl has had a hard life. I'm a basher. Recently i went with the Monster Slash build and I was breaking a lot of stuff and decided it was time to do a complete tear down and rebuild. A lot of things were worn out. I was getting this weird clicking noise when I would brake and didn't know what the noise was. But it prompted this most recent disassembly.
    Aside from the 2.8 trenchers and body lift, I put Proline progressive shocks on the rear and kept my Big Bore shocks up front. I replaced diff fluid on the front and back and replaced all the bearings on the truck.
    For diff fluid I'm using 30k up front and 15k in the rear. After getting the rig all put back together and installing the new Fox body, I noticed three things;
    1. The clicking noise is still there. I have discovered that the splines in both front axles were worn out and the clicking noise is from the wheels turning while the truck is rolling faster than the inner axles are turning. I've ordered the traxxas steel driveshafts, which I have on the rear already.
    2. I also noticed the truck is making a high pitched whining noise under acceleration that my son's new slash 4x4 does not make.
    3. When I let off the throttle, the truck slows down like I'm braking. The wheels don't lock up, but there is some serious resistance in the drive train somewhere.

I have the Traxxas heavy duty axles on the front and they only have about 10 batteries through them. I broke the second set of factory axles right after putting the bigger tires on, I believe my slipper clutch is too tight and will back it off when the new axles arrive this weekend. But the rolling resistance and whining noise, likely related, is really bothering me. Any suggestions?
    2s Lipo by the way.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

You mentioned the fluid weight of the diffs. Did you examine the spider, pinion and ring gears?
    The Super Derecho

RC Competitor
    The whining could be the slipper clutch.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

Accepting requests for bashing at GREENWOOD BASHPLEX in Pittsburgh PA!! Check the thread in the track buddy forum and reply there or pm
    I would think a bearing... But you replaced them.

Disconnect the center drive shaft and spin drivelines seperately. You should be able see if it's coming from front or back, then dig deeper from there. Maybe a defective bearing...

Sent from my moto e5 cruise using Tapatalk
    Ya can't polish fertilizer...

RC Competitor
    I did. I made three separate trips to the hobby store, replacing anything that looked worn

RC Competitor
    New doesn't always mean good. That's a great idea. I will take out the center shaft and see what result I get.

Hopefully, not late to the party here. But, given that you can hear the slipper whining when you accelerate, and that the truck slows immediately down, that would indicate that the something in the core (front diff to the back diff) drive line is binding. I would check all bearings to make sure they are free-running.
    Submarine Qualified, Chief Inducted, Navy Retired

RC Competitor
    Issue resolved. Thank you all for your input.
    So far the steel Traxxas axles have been awesome with the 2.8 trenchers. Although I have already about ruined one of the wheels due to a rounded out hex. I'll get some aluminum hexes next.

As far as the slowing down, it was as simple as breaking my pinion gear loose and rolling the truck. I just had it too tight against the spur gear. I've put about a half dozen battery packs through and the Slash has never run so well.