Thread: Motor Musings

RC Qualifier

Motor Musings

I guess I’m throwing this here because the “Electronics” section only has sub threads for battery, radios, Link App, drag timing system etc.

I guess this will will be a two parter. One part a “what if?” And one part a spec question.
    First the spec question. I know Traxxas still makes and supports the old Stinger 20T. My question is does anyone know the length ( not diameter ) of the output shaft? The reason I ask is I’ve been looking at putting one in an on road car. If I mount the Titan 12T in the application, the shaft rubs on the inside of the motor cover and binds up. I would have to either drill a hole in this model’s motor cover or find a motor with a shorter shaft.
    Does anyone know if the Stingr has a shorter output shaft than the Titan?
    Part 2: ( speculation)
    I know traxxas usually goes for user friendly easy to use plug and play electronics.
    Do you think Traxxas will or wild ever offer a sensored brushless system ?
    I know most if not all bashers usually use a sensor-less design ( for ease of use, water resistance and durability. But now that there is the TRX4 and 4tec chassis in the stable do think they would get offer one as an option ?
    I know sensored motors are preferred in both crawlers and on-road.

They probably won't offer those motors. Too much thought for the average hobbyist of today imo.

Sorry I don't know about the motor shaft length, but you can always dremel the shaft down a bit.

IMO Traxxas won't sell sensored motors.
    "does it make it go faster?" no, not really.

Then there's likely the answer unfortunately. But you're right, those platforms do deserve nice sensored brushless motors for the user who cares.

-Mike

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by nebulous.cow View Post
    They probably won't offer those motors. Too much thought for the average hobbyist of today imo.

Sorry I don't know about the motor shaft length, but you can always dremel the shaft down a bit.

IMO Traxxas won't sell sensored motors.
    "does it make it go faster?" no, not really.

Then there's likely the answer unfortunately. But you're right, those platforms do deserve nice sensored brushless motors for the user who cares.

-Mike
    Yeah, I know a lot of people put sensored motors in TRX 4s. I brought up the 4tec, but ate people really using these for circuit racing ( other than spec classes ) so that might not be as much of an issue I suppose .

RC Qualifier
    [Typewriter noises] . . . Somewhere in the Eastwest . . .
    I can personally recommend the Reedy Radon II for your on-road car, as I have had a positive experience with it in my Rustler, and it does have a shorter shaft. I do not think that the Stinger has a shorter shaft, and you should keep in mind that the Stinger has a bit of a bad reputation when it comes to longevity and power.
    LONG LIVE THE PROFESSOR! Rest in peace, Mr. Peart.