RC Competitor

Extra water pickup?

Hi.
    I just got a new M41. I have a Spartan.
    I want to install a extra water pickup. In my country we don't get dual pickup rudders....

So is there anyone who installed an seperate water pickup? I want to find out where is the best place to install one...

RC Competitor
    Just I show my progress

You're going to want to raise your pickups a little. They're to low. Your tips should be either even with the bottom of your boat or ever so slightly below...the most, about the 3 sheets of paper below even.

You know, me taking another look at where you mounted your two pickups, you may have your trim tabs interfere with your pickups. What I'd do (being you have them there now) is I would drill a bigger hole in your trim tabs, so that your pickups have some open space around them. Hopefully, things will work out with you having them there, because it does have a nice clean look.
    Last edited by ReglarGuy; 06-14-2020 at 06:15 AM.
    Life's to short to be a sour puss.

RC Competitor
    Hi there.

You can't see well on the pics...but there are some gaps around at the back of the pickups.

And out of interest...why would one want space around the pickup?

Like I said, I really like the looks of how you installed you pickups, but having their inputs surrounded by metal might cause a problem of not letting enough water get into them...the water may just scoot right on by. The other thing that might happen is the pickups might interfere with your trim tab function. I can't say you will have these problems, because I never tried to do what you're doing, but I wanted you to be aware that there is a chance.

Would I try what you're doing? Yep, but I would drill a big enough hole so that my pickup fit in the middle with a 3/16 space surrounding it along with the tip of the pickup slightly protruding below the trim tab. (IMO) this would give me my best chance for success.
    Last edited by ReglarGuy; 06-14-2020 at 06:52 PM.

RC Competitor
    Thnx. I'm going to do that. Also I'm gonna ad some tubing to fill the holes surrounding the pickup and test both option. I'll post here my findings.

I got a new catalog from Traxxas the other day, and the new M41 graphics look nice. A lot better than when the M41 first came out.