RC Racer

Erevo 2.0 rear diff noise..........

So after running today I noticed a very faint noise coming from rear diff. If I spin one tire and the diff 'diffs out' it is totally smooth, however if i spin both tires the same direction I feel a slight bind then a crackle noise (click click). What is this? I ordered a diff rebuild kit and will pull it apart tonight and update with pics.

Sent from my SM-G988U using Tapatalk

RC Racer
    Ok pulled it all apart, diff is in excellent shape, i think it is a little dry on grease (ring and pinion) so I am using mil com tw25b, a high grade weapons grease, white lithium. Will update when i get her back together tonight.

If rotating say both rear tires. At same time and direction It will then turn the fronts and center and spur gear and motor. And sour/pinion motor will have some normal clicking sounds.

Once car gets broken in it will start to make some noises it may not of as brand new.

Trying to pin point a faint noise can drive one mad... nothing mechanical could be wrong with the car. Can be a bit of dirt in drive line area. How the Axel's clicks on drive cups starting to wear. Lots of variables. Which is just bashing ,. Play till it stops moving...

One that gets me is the squeeky a arm hinge pins... some lube helps for a while...

Looking for Noise can help isolate to one area but also have to look at what car may also be doing differently as well. And if it's even with the bother to try to troubleshoot and fix..

For me on a street run at wot. Left front lifts off ground much more than right. Kinda pitches the car to one side towards curb... Bashing I never notice, or makes a difference. Never been a problem enough for me to tear it down again to try to trouble shoot... But I tend to use it till I total fails. As I got 2 cars with broken parts on a arms but they still work, and I can still bash..... So why fix it eh...

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

RC Racer
    Thanks man, ya i think it may have just been dirt. When the wife goes to bed ill reassemble. I found some other good gun grease, better than lithium, lithium is a little too light. This other stuff is more like vasseline consistency. The erevo 2.0 drive train is absolutely solid and super durable. It did feel rough when I held both front tires steady and spin both rears forward or backward. I think it was just too dry and the normal wear of the ring and pinion gear teeth were making noise? Wont know till I get it back together

I use belray waterproof grease. For bashing any marine type grease. I do a very liberal coating on all gears. And also around all bearing. Enough that my drive cups have a nice coating on them between my bearings. Also around the diff house to help make a seal to keep water and grit out.

U use the same stuff when I service my bearings. ( Remove the seals and Removing all old grease with a rpm bearing blaster and break clean. And repack in grease ). Not a fan of whatever is in there stock.. never had one of my bearings will belray in it stick or seize unlike almost all the stock ones at some point

My bearings last way longer between needed servicing over stock.

It's pretty thick. Thins out tiny bit but really holds up to the grit, sand and water and abuse I subject it to. I run at the beach as well which is really harsh on the cars. Next day stuff is starting to rust if I don't clean car as soon as I'm done.

If I was track or speed running a good light lithium grease is probably better. To help with reducing rolling resistance and frictions.

I put CLP in my wheel hub assembly for the axle pins. Just enjoy it doesn't go on bearings. Works well.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

RC Racer
    Ok, all is good. The ring and pinion were pretty dry causing extra noise. Check your diffs and ring and pinion once a month if you drive every day and you will be in good shape.

RC Enthusiast
    And definitely check the bearings in the diffs, that's where my problem was. I dont know how but the ring and pinion gear survived total bearing failure/explosion.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk