RC poster

Confused on what Amp to charge

So, everything I've read on lipos you're supposed to charge at 1c rate. 5000 mah battery you charge at 5amps. Right?

Well I was messing around with my live dual charger and checked the app to see what my 6700mah batteries were charging at. It was balance charging them into double digits amps (13.4). Why is this? Isnt that well above the reccomend safe zone of charging amps? Shouldn't the max charge be 6 or 7 amps for 6700mah batteries? I'm now confused.

Edit - I think I was looking at the wrong thing. I toggled info and charge amp is now 3.5a
    Last edited by Snarfy; 05-30-2020 at 10:00 AM.

RC poster
    Different lipos have higher charge rates.
    My venom 3s have a 1C rate
    while my lectron pro 2s have a 2C rate.

Just confirm with the specific battery you’re using which is safe.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If you are using a Traxxas charger with Traxxas ID batteries the settings are done automatically. It chooses the settings for you. There is a chip in the ID connector that tells the charger what battery it is.

nebulous.cow started a thread on this and figured out the ID chip. forums.thread.ID-technology

Quote Originally Posted by glockcoma View Post
    Different lipos have higher charge rates.
    My venom 3s have a 1C rate
    while my lectron pro 2s have a 2C rate.
    This is true and not true. A battery has a recommended maximum charge rate, usually to cover the company when it comes to user mistakes and charging, and then there is a realistic maximum charge rate.

OP I believe the Traxxas ID chargers allow a maximum of 2C charge rates on all Traxxas batteries. Do no be alarmed, 2C is not very fast.

In my experience, as long as you always do the balance charge, and properly storage charge your lipos when you are done with a session like you should, a 2C charge rate will not reduce battery life one single bit.

Back in my helicopter days, each heli took a 12s 5000mah 100C battery. I would always at least charge this at 5C, or 25A. Packs lasted years, and performance was always good. Same thing in my FPV racing career back in the day, 3-5C charge rates, and sometimes higher during a competition.

In my experience, 1-3C is perfect for the average lipo user and you should not experience any issues whatsoever. Slower is technically safer, but I would argue that the difference in safety is minuscule. If I was uncomfortable charging a battery at 3C, I would still be uncomfortable charging it at 1C.

Source: I build chargers for ProgressiveRC, and have been in the hobby for quite some time.

The traxxas charger is pretty good, the ID tech will prevent you from choosing harmful settings, so do not worry.

-Mike