RC Enthusiast

Bandit VXL Must-Have Mods?

Hey guys! I'm pretty new to the RC game, and am going to buy a Bandit VXL. Are there any must-have mods I should know about?

Depends where and how you drive. Are you running on 2s or 3s? On road or off road? Get a good set of tires that best suit the terrain you mostly drive on. Get a variety of pinion and spur gears, a good set of tools. When you break things replace them with upgraded parts.
    Monster Baja Sla2h VXL
    Rustler VXL

RC Enthusiast
    I'll be running with a 3s, and a mix of on/off-road. I am also planning on getting the anaconda tires and setting up the rpm and temperature and voltage sensors.

In stock form the Bandit is a pretty reliable car and one of the only thing that needs to be upgraded is the shock caps. The problem is that the plastic caps have tendency to pop up easily and to solve the problem, it needs aluminum caps, it's cheap and it fixes the problem definitely.

If ever you want to go that way, those informations could be usefull. https://forums.traxxas.com/showthrea...ium-shock-caps
    Good driver. Bad setup. Bad things will happen...

Also get the traxxas aluminum castor blocks and bearing carriers. The telemetry sensors are a good idea so you can monitor in real time whats going on. I have the motor temp and voltage on both my vehicles. Everything else replace with RPM parts when they break. Get a clear body and some decals, stock bodies are boring. Gotta customize and make it your own.
    Monster Baja Sla2h VXL
    Rustler VXL

RC Enthusiast
    Are these the right type of shock caps?
    https://www.amainhobbies.com/traxxas...tra2667/p17463
    Also, how would I replace the little metal ball thing that goes in the hole at the top of the cap?

RC Enthusiast
    Never mind. I found a better set. I still have the question about the little ball thing though.

Quote Originally Posted by castlema924 View Post
    Never mind. I found a better set. I still have the question about the little ball thing though.

There are no way to fit the swivel ball inside of any aluminum cap hole, so you have two solutions, (1) it's possible to buy parts number (3642X) and (2746) then you will have all the necessary hardwares to fit the new shock caps in place or (2) you can use the plastic shoulder which is provided with the shocks spring spacer kit but you will need to use longer bolts with a nut at the end.

Option (1) https://www.ebay.com/itm/12pcs-Traxx...QAAOSwf~NeIJGS

Option (2) M3 screws / 25mm length. https://www.ebay.com/itm/M3-M4-M5-Ph...ebDt8-_ocyPfzQ

With part number (2745) https://www.ebay.com/itm/Latest-Trax...8AAOSw7WNdWxVl
    Last edited by MECHANIC77; 05-30-2020 at 05:58 PM.

RC Enthusiast
    And the shocks would function fine without the swivel ball?

Yea if you get the parts listed above. The 3642 screws is mainly what you need. I personally never had that much of an issue with the stock plastic caps. I dont launch my cars off huge ramps though, just small to medium sized skate ramps in the grass. Unless you plan on catching major air the stock are fine for now.
    Monster Baja Sla2h VXL
    Rustler VXL

RC Qualifier
    The aluminum caster blocks don’t work on bandits unless you drill out the hole for the suspension arm pin. The bandit uses a thicker pin so its caster block doesn’t interchange with 2wd rustler, stampede, slash, etc

Quote Originally Posted by castlema924 View Post
    And the shocks would function fine without the swivel ball?

The only fonction of the swivel ball used in the stock plastic cap is to provide a left and right motion of the cap during the suspension compression and releasing movement, therefore there's no need for a swivel ball with an aluminum cap to execute the same thing and by technical conception from a durability point of view it's simpler and better to have only the cap that pivots on a shoulder than having a swivel ball which could get out of the hole by itself.

To avoid premature wear of the aluminum cap hole, it might be a good idea to lubricate the parts at every oil change of the shocks.

RC Enthusiast
    I don't plan on doing any big jumps, so I think I'll hold off for now. This info will be helpful when I do need to replace those though.

RC poster
    Does anyone know how to change/ modify the rear tires of a Bandit to accept restore off road tires? And do I need to change the gears?