XL-5 ESC Being Weird

I've had my Slash for over a year now, and had tons of fun with it.

However, the receiver has already failed once (couple of months ago). Replaced that (exact replacement, since I still wanted to use the stock transmitter). Now the ESC is kinda being weird. It cuts out, and sometimes the light goes out even when I'm not doing anything. The battery that I am running is the stock Traxxas NiMH battery (8.4V), and I am sure that low voltage detection is off.

I don't think it is the problem with the receiver or transmitter, because the servo always works (even when the throttle cuts out). I've never crashed the car hard enough to break any parts (the only things that broke were electronics, which is a bit odd)

Has anyone ever had this problem? Any help would be appreciated. If the ESC is toast, then I would probably change out the ESC and motor to a Hobbywing Justock Brushless System.

RC Champion
    Check that the battery wires are still attached with solder properly in the connector's and check the plug for the esc in the rx it might be loose. It could be faulty wires on the battery itself like a break or something along those lines, try another battery.

Some clarifications: by lights, I mean the LED light on the ESC (it is red for NiMH)

I have also kept the stock gearing (everything on the car is bone stock other than the servo I put in)

I would say that it probably isn't a battery problem since the servo still works when the ESC cuts out. I will check the connections though. Thanks for the input!

RC Qualifier
    Check throttle trim and calibration. The general rule is, when in doubt calibrate.
    The led yon the esc will light up in neutral. When throttle is applied the light goes out.
    When full throttle is reached it lights again. Pretty sure thatís how it goes...
    If the calibration is off a bit you may be on the edge of throttle even though your trigger is in neutral.
    Another possibility is the trigger itself is faulty. Best to try switching things out with spare that you know work until you find the source of the fault.

Put a VXL in it
    Monster Baja Sla2h VXL
    Rustler VXL

@ fortunespoonz
    Thanks for your input!
    It doesn't really seem to be calibratable...

The LED is flashing in no particular pattern (in red). It seems like the LED has burned out or something...

Here's a video of it flashing:

@ NYbandit33
    I would rather have a sensored brushless system. I also don't really want the car to go crazy fast, so I am probably going to go with a Hobbywing Justock Sensored system (17.5 or 13.5T depending on which is in stock at the moment).

I believe you are having a battery with a cell or 2 calling for retirement causing amperage fluctuation not bad enough to effect the servo. I would test another battery, sometimes LHS will have a spare for testing systems if you don't have a spare.

Brushless systems don't make your rig for crazy fast. It is your finger responsible for that. Hobbywing is a great choice because the VXL system is just not worth it outside of a being included in a rig on purchase.

So I have used the same battery on my TRX-4s (also with stock Traxxas ESCs), and I have never seen it happen on them. I did try it with another newer NiMH battery (it's actually used in the video above, the older stock battery also does it), and it still does the same thing. Thanks for trying to help though, appreciate it!

I am going to try using a LiPo battery. If that doesn't work, I am probably going to go with a Hobbywing.

Ok, so after some more troubleshooting, I have found it that it only does it when I try to go in reverse (or brake). The LED goes out, and it becomes unresponsive. The LED also goes out when I just leave the truck on (it just kinda flickers and dies out), but when I pull on the throttle to make it go forward, it comes back on. Not sure why... could it be a connection problem?

So I tried recalibrating it, and it worked! I think the reason that I couldn't before was that I had gone in reverse (just needed to unplug the battery to make it not flicker). If anybody else has the same problem, unplug the battery, and recalibrate the ESC, and it should be fine. I am still probably going to switch to the Hobbywing Sensored Brushless Justock System (when it comes in stock) and see how that does (have brushed motors on 4 of my cars, and an unsensored brushless on the UDR, so it would be interesting to see a comparison).

Thanks everyone for your help!