RC poster

How to make Traxxas Slash Ultimate 3s ready and reliable

Hello everyone my question is basically I have a Traxxas Slash 4x4 Ultimate and I wanna put a 3s in it what should I upgrade on it besides Traxxas metal axels. I don't want to use after market parts I want to use Traxxas oem parts. Also I don't want it to become unreliable so it won't break after every run. People put a e revo slipper clutch in the slash 4x4's I don't know if that's worth it or not any suggestions ?

I have a stock Slash 4x4 Ultimate, a slightly older version than the current one, and Iíve ran it on 3s from day one, bone stock. The car can really take a beating, Iíve driven mine up sidewalk ridges at almost full speed, itís fallen in to a 10 foot deep sewer before, in to a pool, on walls, bushes, trees, you name it. The only things Iíve broken are the front bottom suspension arms (the thing on the bottom that links the wheels and chassis together) and the front driveshaft. Maybe keep a few of those around for repair, I donít know if youíll find any metal replacements for the driveshaft, but there are probably suspension arms. The slash is probably my most bashed and neglected car, and itís holding up very well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Adding on, I do believe that the slash ultimate comes with a slipper clutch, mine did, and Iím pretty sure the new one does too. Slipper clutches are slipper clutches, they all do pretty much the same thing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by cooleocool; 06-06-2020 at 01:35 AM. Reason: merge
    Jumping: maneuver and pray it won't break.

RC poster
    thx for the information

RC Racer
    Does it allready have metal hexes? They preventie the wheels from slipping on the hexes, as they can do sometimes on the plastic ones. Also, your motor/ESC Will get hot, so get the traxxas ESC fan. Traxxas sadly doesn’t make a motor fan/heatsink combo, so that needs to be aftermarket, or you can get a bigger motor that doesn’t run as hot

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by The Bean View Post
    Does it allready have metal hexes? They preventie the wheels from slipping on the hexes, as they can do sometimes on the plastic ones. Also, your motor/ESC Will get hot, so get the traxxas ESC fan. Traxxas sadly doesnít make a motor fan/heatsink combo, so that needs to be aftermarket, or you can get a bigger motor that doesnít run as hot
    Hex's are fine with stock tires...once you go bigger they tend to not handle it.

Welcome to the forum and the addiction! You are among a group of people who share the love of the Traxxas Slash 4x4! If you have any questions please feel free to ask. Remember we are here to help!

I'm going to highly recommend that you put a fan on the esc and a quality fan and heatsink on the motor.
    Member of the 10,000 + posts club! Here to help!

RC Racer
    Quality = not integy

RC poster
    Long time T Maxx nitro runner, taking my first leap into the electric realm! Really excited about my new Slash Platinum. 1st full body paint job I've ever attempted. Other than a few flaws (that I just don't see how one could get a perfect paint job!) I am pleased. Let me know what you think. I am now waiting on all me telemetry parts and batteries to arrive to actually run this guy!
    Edit - I am also an avid Harley rider, and as I'm sure you can see, its HD painted. I have a few more stickers coming for that.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk
    Last edited by BiggJDC; 05-31-2020 at 10:08 AM.

RC poster
    Well, as the OP said, I too, am looking for *what* needs done. This truck is a bit disappointing to me. General low grass runs and some high speed street runs and I've had it in thermal overload 2x now. Stock 13/54 on 3s. Its *ok* fast, but overall - for the amount of money invested in this truck- I honestly wish I had just bought another nitro truck. I cant believe I'm already looking at what other $200+ item I could buy! (Motor/esc). Any ideas?

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

RC Racer
    I don’t have one, but a lot of people like the castle esc’s with the 2400 or 2700 kv motors. They don’t run as hot, and are a lot faster

RC Enthusiast
    So i run my truck on 3s all day with 2.2" proline badland tires and never have a problem with heat. the setup i use includes the velineon ESC fan, a motor heatsink and a NICE fan, An aluminum motor mount. I have mine geared at 15/54 with no issues. Stays at 120-130 on a 90 degree day. Might hit 140 if its very humid. For me, the key to keeping my temps the lowest was the combo of all 3 of these, without one or the other, it'll get to hot.

The motor mount i use is here: https://www.kingcobraofflorida.com/p...gle%20Shopping

i chose this mount because this seemed to be the thickest and have to most aluminum. It acts as a heatsink, pulling all the heat away from your motor.

The fan i use: https://www.dollarhobbyz.com/product...AaAkp2EALw_wcB

this fan spins super fast and moves a ton of air, just make sure its not to close to the heatsink its mounted to and can push air.

hopefully this helps. the heat sink and velineon fan are your choice. Any of the heatsinks that fit a 30mm (or larger if you choose) fan should suffice as long as they are aluminum.