RC Enthusiast

Power HD-23kg servo - buzzing noise

Guys, I have just installed a new servo. The servo seems to be making this annoying buzzing noise when I put it on the ground. Can someone pls tell me if this is normal or is there something I can do? Video link below. Thanks in advance.

https://youtu.be/HXBzEi00GBY

Its a digital servo, that noise is completely normal.
    Submarine Qualified, Chief Inducted, Navy Retired

RC Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by Greatscott View Post
    Its a digital servo, that noise is completely normal.
    I use a Traxxas 2075 servo which I believe is also digital on a slash 2wd. I don't have any such noise on that.

Quote Originally Posted by rahul.k.agar View Post
    I use a Traxxas 2075 servo which I believe is also digital on a slash 2wd. I don't have any such noise on that.
    The Traxxas 2075 servos I have all make that sound, but not near that level of sound. I have used better quality servos and the noise is even less. The noise is the motor trying to hold position.

I haven't used a Power HD servo. That level of sound shouldn't be normal. If it is normal like in that video, it shows subpar quality.

RC Racer
    I have that servo, there is a faint hum, not nearly as loud as yours. Could be quality control issue there

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

Try turning your TSM all the way to 0%...
    Creativity is intelligence having fun. -Einstein

Quote Originally Posted by Squeegie View Post
    Try turning your TSM all the way to 0%...
    Might be something with TSM. I use that servo in my Slash and it makes zero humming noise(that I can hear over the esc fan) but mine doesn't have TSM. It's a great servo!
    Slash 4x4 Ult 2150kv
    Rustler vxl
    Ford GT vxl

Haven't installed them (yet), but I've got 3 of them for my boats - one to go in my ProBoat SonicWake, one in the ProBoat Shockwave, and one in the Raider M34 or TFL Pursuit k haven't decided which of these two I'm buying for NAMBA P-Limited class.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk
    ~ Love, laughter & kindness makes the world better

RC Enthusiast
    Just got off a chat with power HD and they tell me that I need a glitch buster. Will try that.

Just got off a chat with power HD and they tell me that I need a glitch buster. Will try that.
    Alternately, you could use an external BEC. This has four advantages over a "glitch buster".

First, it's less prone to 'problems' than a glitch buster. Second, it separates the servo's power supply from the rest of the vehicle. Third, it allows you to run two separate voltages to different parts of the vehicle. For example, if you have any accessories (ie. LEDs) that run 6.0V, you can have the ESC's BEC set to 6.0V, powering the Rx & lights...and, you can have the external BEC set to 7.4V, powering the servo. Finally, a glitch buster is almost never waterproof...an external BEC, such as the Castle BEC 2.0, is waterproof.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk
    ~ Love, laughter & kindness makes the world better

From what I’ve read in these forums, a glitch buster is not needed, but they also say that this servo does not play well with TSM.
    I hope it works well with yours.
    Please keep us posted.

Good luck!

Huh. Now Traxxas does not disclose their current draws but there are companies that do. I have seen servo comparison videos on YouTube and the aforementioned servo draws near 5 amps when pushed to its max. Honestly, it should not buzz at idle so there may be some sort of resistance there. As one of our compadres mentioned a BEC is a better route to go to give that servo power vs throwing in a glitch buster.

I run a LiFe receiver battery with a glitch buster on my nitro Revo just in case. My electrics have an external BEC wired directly to the servo.
    The Super Derecho

Nevermind... I was looking around more and found this thread that ended saying that the Power HD WP-23KG works with TSM.

https://forums.traxxas.com/showthrea...-Upgrade-Servo

I run that servo on my rig without a glitch buster, but added one to it later. Not because I had to, but I had one and thought I'd put it in just for insurance.

I do not have TSM so could not tell you for my own experience.

Edit:
    Found a thread where someone said it didn't work with TSK:
    https://forums.traxxas.com/showthrea...ome-Servo-Help

Have found others saying it works with TSM, others that say it does not.
    If you have TSM, try turning it down all the way to 0% and see if the buzzing stops.

Let us know what happens.

Edit:
    Found the thread I was looking for since yesterday:
    https://forums.traxxas.com/showthrea...=1#post6466470
    Last edited by Squeegie; 06-02-2020 at 10:43 AM.

I do run a glitchbuster with mine and power comes through a HW SC8 esc...not sure if any of that makes a difference but my servo works great!
    Slash 4x4 Ult 2150kv
    Rustler vxl
    Ford GT vxl