RC Competitor

Low Voltage LiPo Charge

Hi everyone

I'm sitting with two 4s lipo batteries that kick an error message out of 'low voltage' on my iMax B6AC charger.

Is there any way I can up the charge rate to get these batteries to charge or are they going in the bin?

Any suggestions would help a lot.

Thanks

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk
    Slash 4x4 VXL
    Revo 3.3
    X-Maxx 8S

RC Qualifier
    I had the same problem with skyrc dual charger, couldn't detect battery. I went to my LHS which is also a battery store, they told me to scrap it.

Now some will charch in a different mode (nimh) for a few minutes to boost it and switch back to lipo, but after already having lived through a total loss hoise fire, I ain't messing aroind with lipos

Sent from my SM-G965W using Tapatalk

RC Champion
    Recommend keeping Lipo batteries balanced with voltage above 3.2v per cell -
    Storage voltage 3.85v
    Use a
    tenergy 5 in 1 lipo balancer,checker,discharger,etc or equivalent

What voltage are the cells ?
    fabricator

RC Competitor
    Quote Originally Posted by B-stinga View Post
    I had the same problem with skyrc dual charger, couldn't detect battery. I went to my LHS which is also a battery store, they told me to scrap it.

Now some will charch in a different mode (nimh) for a few minutes to boost it and switch back to lipo, but after already having lived through a total loss hoise fire, I ain't messing aroind with lipos

I'm not sure whether it is the charger that is the issue, as it still charges my other lipos just fine. Just thought there could be a way to resurrect these batteries that have been stored too long.

Slash 4x4 VXL
    Revo 3.3
    X-Maxx 8S

RC Qualifier
    My issue wasnt charger either, it was the voltage that went too low on the batteries.

After having ran them down, I just threw them in a lipo bag for the next time. Next time came and when I tried to charge them, nothing.

That's when I learnt to take better care of them at the cost of 4s

RC Competitor
    Quote Originally Posted by CrazyXMAXX View Post
    Recommend keeping Lipo batteries balanced with voltage above 3.2v per cell -
    Storage voltage 3.85v
    Use a
    tenergy 5 in 1 lipo balancer,checker,discharger,etc or equivalent

What voltage are the cells ?
    I tried checking, but the charger doesn't want to read out anything, just the low voltage error message. Suppose I should make peace and get rid of them.

Slash 4x4 VXL
    Revo 3.3
    X-Maxx 8S

RC Qualifier
    If u can get ur hands on a lipo checker, you will get a definite answer.
    If everything is at 0, then you have made yourself a RC themed paperweight.

RC Champion
    There is a tip for those batteries that shows low voltage, charge it on NIMH mode for a 5 minutes, and then, continue charging in the lipo balance mode, it works.

Quote Originally Posted by Juanmacine View Post
    There is a tip for those batteries that shows low voltage, charge it on NIMH mode for a 5 minutes, and then, continue charging in the lipo balance mode, it works.
    It's not really a good tip to to charge LiPo batteries on NiMh. It works if the batteries are slightly lower in voltage where some LiPo chargers want the minimum voltage to be at in order to start charging.

Need to check what the voltage of the packs are to see what can be done. If they are in a deep state of discharge there is internal damage in the cells and pose a safety issue.

RC Competitor
    Thanks everybody for the tips, I've charged the one battery on NiMH and it is now busy charging on LiPo. Let's hope the other one can do the same.

Regarding safety, I haven't had any accidents with LiPo, but I know they can be rather volatile, so I'll be storing these in a steel box and keep the fire extinguisher nearby when testing these in the X-Maxx for the first time - or just all the time going forward.

Slash 4x4 VXL
    Revo 3.3
    X-Maxx 8S

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by NeillZA View Post
    Thanks everybody for the tips, I've charged the one battery on NiMH and it is now busy charging on LiPo. Let's hope the other one can do the same.

Regarding safety, I haven't had any accidents with LiPo, but I know they can be rather volatile, so I'll be storing these in a steel box and keep the fire extinguisher nearby when testing these in the X-Maxx for the first time - or just all the time going forward.

Lipo bags are a really good inexpensive way to be safe.

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by NeillZA View Post

Excellent.

RC Competitor
    Update - one of the batteries possibly made it back from the dead, the other however seems to have left us. After charging on NiMH for 5mins I switched over to LiPo and within one minute it said it was fully charged - tried them in the truck and got a low voltage light.

All of this should be confirmed sometime this week when I can get to my LHS for a voltage meter.

Slash 4x4 VXL
    Revo 3.3
    X-Maxx 8S

Just an FYI, some times charges will indicate fully charged right away when the connection is a little loose. There should be a bit of resistance when plugging in the battery.
    -=/ X-Maxx - 8S XLX/2028 \=-

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by NBViper View Post
    Just an FYI, some times charges will indicate fully charged right away when the connection is a little loose. There should be a bit of resistance when plugging in the battery.
    The tip is check the connections periodically to avoid this issue.

RC Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by B-stinga View Post
    Lipo bags are a really good inexpensive way to be safe.

they are actually rubbish - from my experience