RC Qualifier

Slash 2WD Rebuild and Refresh

I have had my Slash for over a year now and had tons of fun with it. For the whole year and a half, it has been kept bone stock.

I don't bash hard, and I don't think I have ever jumped it more than 1 foot (which is probably why I never realized that the shock caps were a weak spot), but I do run it a lot (at least 10 min a day, sometimes 30+ min during days in the weekend).

It has gotten quite dirty, and some parts are about worn out. I have no idea what happened to the ESC (see my thread on XL5 ESC being weird), and the motor should probably be replaced along with the ESC (motor still works great though). All the fluids in the truck should probably get changed too (never changed shock oil or diff oil). Overall, I think the truck is long past due for a refresh.

I am planning on upgrading a bunch of parts on it. Here are the parts that I plan on upgrading:

- The LCG Conversion kit (the truck has the HCG chassis now, and the handling is not that great, this will hopefully improve it)

- Hot Racing Compsite Transmission (Hot Racing Traxxas Composite Gear Case w/Aluminum Motor Plate as Amain Hobbies calls it)

- Hot Racing Sealed Aluminum Diff Case (will probably be using marine grease in it)

- ST Racing Concepts Aluminum Shock Body (Stock ultra shocks seem to be pretty smooth, so getting aluminum would improve it at a cheaper price compared to getting a new set of shocks)

- Traxxas Aluminum Shock Caps (the blue ones would match the chassis pretty well)

- Hot Racing Aluminum Steering Bellcranks

- Hobbywing Justock ESC 13.5T Sensored Brushless System (I know itís not waterproof, but I donít really mind. It has not really rained much in California, and I actually never ran any of my cars in water, other than a few shallow puddles, so it should be fine.)

(All of the upgrades above can be found on the Amain Hobbies website since thatís where Iím ordering)

I will be running 35w shock oil for the front and 30w for the rear shocks (may seem thin for some guys, but I rarely jump it) (also using Losi shock oil)

In the future, I will get RPM offset compensation arms (I will see how it handles with the stock tires, and then decide)

The body will probably stay the same until the tires and wheels get switched since I want to have matching wheels for the body.

I have not placed the order yet, so is there anything that should be added (or removed)? I am also wondering how the RPM transmission is compared to the Hot Racing transmission. I would like the keep the budget around 270 USD at the most. Thanks!

RC Competitor
    Do the aluminum shock bodies come with new seals and o-rings? If not, better get some just in case you tear something during disassembly of the old shocks.

RC Qualifier
    Yep, the aluminum bodies come with the o-ring installed. Thanks for pointing that out!

RC Qualifier
    What upgrades do you guys have, and what are your guys' opinions about the upgrades that are the most worth having (in terms of handling and performance)?

RC Qualifier

Slash 2WD Rebuild and Refresh

I would add diff oil, aluminum caster blocks and hub carriers on your list. And maybe RPM spur cover
    I have stock shocks with Traxxas aluminum caps really long time without any problems. And pro line body mounts are realy nice for use different bodies.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by alexsasax; 06-04-2020 at 03:05 PM.

RC Qualifier
    Ok, so I am still going to use marine grease in the diff, since I want a little less diff action (I have also heard that the Hot Racing diff is not sealed that well, but I will see). For the aluminum blocks, is there a difference in rigidity compared to the stock ones? If not, I might upgrade those in the future. Thanks for the reply!

RC Qualifier
    I did it, placed the order (or pulled the trigger as some of you guys call it) But there are way too many parts out of stock! Perhaps due to COVID 19 I got:
    - LCG conversion kit
    - Silver front and rear aluminum shock bodies
    - Blue aluminum shock caps
    - Aluminum and carbon fiber steering bellcranks (hot racing)
    - Aluminum and plastic transmission box (hot racing)
    - Hot racing Sealed diff (Out of stock at Amain, so got it at eBay)
    - HH 21T 550 Trailmaster (for my TRX-4)

I was not able to get the Hobbywing Justock combo since it is literally out of stock at Amain, and the ones in stock at eBay is like $150, and ships from China (not sure why that is). I was also not able to get the Hobbywing 1080 ESC for my TRX-4 (also out of stock at Amain), but it is a pretty popular ESC, so I kinda expected that. Everything I ordered should come by next Thursday.

Here's a couple of pics of it (completely stock, for comparisons in the future) (it looks new, but it is over a year old):

RC Qualifier
    The parts just arrived!

Here's a pic of the parts:

(hmm, thought that I had ordered tons of parts ($200), but it doesn't actually look to be all that much)

I will update this as I start upgrading (and also do before/after comparisions)!

RC Qualifier
    Finished aluminum shocks

RC Qualifier
    The front end is complete

The aluminum and carbon fiber bellcranks are in:

The front aluminum shocks are installed:

RC Competitor
    So far, it's look pretty good. Hopefully the gain in performance equals the money spent.

RC Qualifier
    Yep, definitely, had a few mishaps happen, but overall it went pretty smooth.

Here's a comparison between the stock transmission box and the Hot Racing composite one:

Opened the transmission:

Opened the diff (stock):

Diff comparison:

Here's the completed Hot Racing sealed diff:

Completed Hot Racing Gearbox cover:

RC poster
    Nice list of upgrades!

Have you had a chance to run the new HR trans? How do you like it?
    -Brian-

TRX-4 Kit
    Slash 4x4 Ultimate

RC Qualifier
    Thank you, I am done upgrading, and did a test run. The handling is a night and day difference. The truck corners and turns very well, and does not flip over anymore. The aluminum bellcranks made the steering more precise (bearings also made the steering more smooth and a bit faster). The sealed diff also improved traction in accelerating and braking on loose surfaces. The HR transmission box has great heat dissipation (don't have anything to measure the motor temp, but is noticeable by touch). The gear fitment is good (have to push a bit harder than stock for the bearings to sit flat). Something that I didn't really like about the HR transmission gearbox is the way the rear bumper is mounted (there were no instructions, so I kinda just fit everything together to what I think fits best, had a few leftover parts, so I may have misassembled something). The rear bumper is only supported by the motor plate, and two screws (from what I can see... tried to find more detailed information online, but could not really find anything useful). Here's a picture of it:

More pictures of the rest of the car :

After all the upgrades, the car seems overall more light and agile (and also race-worthy).
    My next upgrades are probably going to be the tires, RPM offset compensation arms, and the motor and ESC.

RC Enthusiast
    Nice!!!
    I just nabbed a used 2wd brushed.
    Its in decent shape but after some inspection of shocks and replacing fuild (one aluminum cap backed off and leaked) I noticed a bent shock shaft.
    Your aluminum looks SWEET! those are traxxas parts? They include shafts? I'm really new to traxxas but not rc so learning this platform is fun.
    I'm also about to pull the trigger on an LCG kit amd new wheels/tires. The rears on mine are BALD.
    Nice job on yours and the trans case is tempting because I went and made sure all screws were tight and my spur cover case screws just spin
    Maybe I will start a thread and we can both get ideas for rebuilds.

RC Qualifier
    Cool! The aluminum shock caps are from Traxxas, but the aluminum shock bodies are from STRC (I got them from Amain Hobbies, in the silver color). The shock bodies do not include the shafts (or seals), so you should probably get new shafts (heard that tin-coated ones from Traxxas are much smoother and stronger, but I just reused the stock ones).

The LCG chassis makes a huge difference for how it handles (almost never flips over, and just slides through the corners very well).

As for the transmission case, there are also more options (other than the HR composite one). HR also makes a full aluminum one, and RPM makes a plastic casing, with an aluminum motor plate (do some research, and find which one's best for you).

Hopefully you now have a good idea of what upgrades to get. Good luck! (if you have any more questions, post them down below, and I'll be happy to answer them! )

RC Enthusiast
    Awesome thanks!
    I honestly dont want to throw a bunch of upgrades on it until I get a good feel for how it drives out of the box.
    I drove it around in my backyard and the front shocks are absolutely DIALED with 25wt losi oil and the smallest preload spacer. The rear since it is heavier I went with 45wt and it slowed the damper too much. But the springs are too soft for the weight so I am ordering the integy 3 pack for the rear and I will run the firmest spring with maybe 35wt. Should be the ticket.

Thanks for the shock info. I think I will just go with the coated shafts like you said. I'm actually running tamiya diaphrams up front since the leaky one didnt have one in there at all, hence the leaking. Fronts are fantastic. Front half of the truck floats on a cloud while the suspension dances underneath, just as a real trophy truck should over woops. The rear not so much lol not yet.

When I get the springs I will try a local bmx field and see how it does without the lcg. Gonna hold off just to see how dialed I can get the high cg.

Thanks for the help!
    Last edited by Shinchu; 06-13-2020 at 09:20 PM.

RC Qualifier
    No problem! I am running 30w Losi shock oil in the rear, and the suspension action just goes crazy (just like the UDR). I might change it thicker to 35w, since it does sometimes bottom out when I hit a large bump. Good luck!

RC Enthusiast
    I wish somebody would make some functional double or triple bypass shocks for better shock control.
    Hard to tune for both bumpy traction(soft/fast) and the hard landings (stiff/slow).
    Even the proline powerstroke XT are nice (had them on my yeti) but at the end of the day they are still a single stage valve with a single oil weight.
    Maybe the UDR crowd will raise enough of a stink to push this tech into rc?
    Maybe someday...

RC Qualifier
    Yeah, double bypass shocks would be a nice upgrade... though it may cost more (but would be worth it). It may be a while before something like that comes out since there isn't really a need for those. As for the UDR, the stock shocks are already one of the best (and scale looking). I've gotten my UDR partly because of the suspension (also the scale looks). Though I changed and tweaked a few suspension components for my Slash to improve it, the UDR still has the better suspension (probably because of the dual shocks, and four with external springs, and four with internal springs). Hopefully someday soon something like that would come out.

RC Enthusiast
    I was thinking hydraulic bumpstops would be cool too.
    Not so much for the slash... Or maybe? But mostly tue UDR since it has the weight to benefit from them.
    Dual shocks are neat but doesnt really tackle the valving issue.
    Maybe if we dream hard enough lol