RC poster

2nd gen rustler with Long battery tray?

I just ordered a new rustler 4x4 vxl and I'm worried the batteries won't fit. I'm not sure if I'm getting the 2nd gen with the long battery tray. The battery guide says to look at the strap shape to identify, but I don't have the car yet. The batteries I order are the 2872x 155mm lenght. How do you know if the rustler is 2nd gen. I would not be happy if I wait two weeks for my car and the batteries don't fit.

Why don't you call whoever you purchased it from, and find out? I'm sure they'll know which one is being (or has been) shipped.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk
    ~ Love, laughter & kindness makes the world better

RC poster
    I just got my XL-5 on Tuesday, ordered it last Friday. It has the second generation chassis. I would think you would get the second gen chassis as well.

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by Panther6834 View Post
    Why don't you call whoever you purchased it from, and find out? I'm sure they'll know which one is being (or has been) shipped.

I guess it would depend on if the photo on the box is updated. They didn’t change the model number so unless they open the box before shipping, they may not have any way of knowing.

Quote Originally Posted by TwoBelugas View Post
    I guess it would depend on if the photo on the box is updated. They didn’t change the model number so unless they open the box before shipping, they may not have any way of knowing.
    The SKU would indicate...they wouldn't have to open the box.

RC Qualifier
    The SKU would indicate...they wouldn't have to open the box.

By SKU do you mean 67076-4? Or the barcode number? There may be a tracking list of which upc are the new gen but from what people are saying even traxxas CS don’t have that info.

Quote Originally Posted by McCreary View Post
    The "new" chassis claims to have a 162mm battery compartment. Regardless, when I spoke to Traxxas on Thursday, they weren't able to tell me which chassis I'd be getting, even though they had them back in stock. The rep said they can't tell by looking at the box. I was given two choices. Either order the Rustler and measure it when I took it out of the box, or just get the short pack(2832x) because it will work in both chassis. I have plenty of HiTech foam laying around from my RC airplane days, so I went with the short pack. I'll know the answer when it arrives.
    Last edited by TwoBelugas; 06-04-2020 at 11:21 PM.

SKU is the full barcode number.

RC Qualifier

So far I haven’t heard of anyone being able to tell the difference by just looking at the box, dealer or traxxas themselves. Were you able to call in a barcode and have traxxas tell you which version a car is?

RC Competitor
    So far I haven’t heard of anyone being able to tell the difference by just looking at the box, dealer or traxxas themselves. Were you able to call in a barcode and have traxxas tell you which version a car is?
    Traxxas rustler 4x4 vxl will be with short battery tray.

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by SanDiegan View Post
    What do you mean? From the other thread

Quote Originally Posted by StijnH View Post
    I noticed that Traxxas produces a new version of the Rustler 4x4.
    The new version has al longer battery tray so the long batteries could fit.

You can find more info over here https://traxxas.com/news/choosing-batteries-rustler-4x4

An SKU and a UPC are two different things. An SKU is alphanumeric. It's used by a retailer to keep track of their inventory. It will differ from one retailer to another. A UPC, or bar code, are the black lines that a bar code scanner reads. They're generated by a 12 digit number that's listed under the bar code. That code will remain the same, regardless of the retailer.
    Mine was delivered last Saturday. I ordered it direct from Traxxas. The UPC on the box is 020334671219. There's no SKU above the bar code, just the model number (67076-4-GRN). It has the older style chassis. From what I can tell, and from what I was told by Traxxas, there's no way to determine which chassis it is until you take it out of the box.

RC Qualifier
    An SKU and a UPC are two different things. An SKU is alphanumeric. It's used by a retailer to keep track of their inventory. It will differ from one retailer to another. A UPC, or bar code, are the black lines that a bar code scanner reads. They're generated by a 12 digit number that's listed under the bar code. That code will remain the same, regardless of the retailer.
    Mine was delivered last Saturday. I ordered it direct from Traxxas. The UPC on the box is 020334671219. There's no SKU above the bar code, just the model number (67076-4-GRN). It has the older style chassis. From what I can tell, and from what I was told by Traxxas, there's no way to determine which chassis it is until you take it out of the box.
    Thanks for the info. I though I was going crazy because part of my work is in logistics planning and I was confused as to when it was decided that SKU would become equivalen to the barcode. Like you said SKUs vary wildly between manufacturers and UPC is the item identifier we use in our systems
    Last edited by TwoBelugas; 06-05-2020 at 10:03 AM.

Sorry...yes, I meant the UPC, not SKU. Since you didn't average receive the 'new' one, you wouldn't be able to confirm whether the UPC is the same, or different. Under UPC requirements, a new UPC is "required" if any dimensions are changed in excess of 20% and/or if any functional components are changed.

The length of the chassis was shortened, although I can't say whether that change was 20%, or greater. However, in shortening the chassis, that would have required placing the steering servo in a new location, which would mean that the 'functional components' involved in steering would have also changed, thus Traxxas would be required to purchase a new UPC from GS1 (the primary global operation responsible for creating & issuing UPCs). Considering that, in order to properly supply replacement parts, and the two variants utilize some different parts, retailers will need to differentiate between the two variants. Because of this, different UPCs area required.

If Traxxas follows the law on this (I can't see why they wouldn't, as purchasing UPCs is super cheap...literally, as little as a few cents), them retailers will have an easy way to distinguish between the 'old' & 'new' variant. On the other hand, if they're not follow the law on this, whatever governing body is responsible to checking/verifying, and reporting or to GS1, I'm sure they'll figure it out soon enough. I don't believe there's any sort of fine, or such...they would probably busy be required to purchase the new UPC, and change all product packaging accordingly.

Sorry...yes, I meant the UPC, not SKU. Since you didn't average receive the 'new' one, you wouldn't be able to confirm whether the UPC is the same, or different. Under UPC requirements, a new UPC is "required" if any dimensions are changed in excess of 20% and/or if any functional components are changed.

The length of the chassis was shortened, although I can't say whether that change was 20%, or greater. However, in shortening the chassis, that would have required placing the steering servo in a new location, which would mean that the 'functional components' involved in steering would have also changed, thus Traxxas would be required to purchase a new UPC from GS1 (the primary global operation responsible for creating & issuing UPCs). Considering that, in order to properly supply replacement parts, and the two variants utilize some different parts, retailers will need to differentiate between the two variants. Because of this, different UPCs area required.

If Traxxas follows the law on this (I can't see why they wouldn't, as purchasing UPCs is super cheap...literally, as little as a few cents), them retailers will have an easy way to distinguish between the 'old' & 'new' variant. On the other hand, if they're not follow the law on this, whatever governing body is responsible to checking/verifying, and reporting or to GS1, I'm sure they'll figure it out soon enough. I don't believe there's any sort of fine, or such...they would probably busy be required to purchase the new UPC, and change all product packaging accordingly.

Correct. I can't confirm if the new one has a new UPC or not. Traxxas couldn't either. I was unaware they shortened the chassis as well.

Thanks for the info. I though I was going crazy because part of my work is in logistics planning and I was confused as to when it was decided that SKU would become equivalen to the barcode. Like you said SKUs vary wildly between manufacturers and UPC is the item identifier we use in our systems
    I'm still a bit confused, lol. I work for a government contractor. We use NSN's.

RC Qualifier
    I'm still a bit confused, lol. I work for a government contractor. We use NSN's.
    Oh geez, now I’m having flashbacks of my days dealing with the DLA while working for Uncle Sam.

Speaking of upcs, The upc on you box is 12 digits. I can’t count how many hours I have sat in meetings trying to get vendors to pad a leading zero since some system use 13 digits so we have to format accordingly. You would think it’s no big deal to add a leading zero in a extract field in the year 2020 but noooooooo....
    Last edited by TwoBelugas; 06-05-2020 at 11:28 AM.

Oh geez, now I’m having flashbacks of my days dealing with the DLA while working for Uncle Sam.

Speaking of upcs, The upc on you box is 12 digits. I can’t count how many hours I have sat in meetings trying to get vendors to pad a leading zero since some system use 13 digits so we have to format accordingly. You would think it’s no big deal to add a leading zero in a extract field in the year 2020 but noooooooo....
    Having been in the military, I understand. The government likes to "complicate" everything. Given the opportunity to have different arms of the government call the exact same thing by multiple different names, they'll gladly do that, too...just to confuse people even more.

RC poster
    Quote Originally Posted by SanDiegan View Post
    My Rustler 4x4 VXL has the long battery tray....just fyi

RC poster
    It was purchased on 6/5/20 and it didn't include the Battery Tray Expansion Kit #6726X. I purchased the 3S part #2857X and it didn't fit. I reached out to Traxxas explaining that the manual stated that the part was supposed to be included. They said that it was an old manual and that it was no longer included. He did send one out to me and it arrived today. Just wanted to share in case anyone has the same issue. New to the hobby and trying to learn as much as quick as I can. 6 days into the hobby and I've already added a Maxx to the lineup...so much fun!

RC Qualifier

The length of the chassis was shortened, although I can't say whether that change was 20%, or greater.

Here is my guess, the chassis itself wasn’t shortened or lengthened. It was the bulkhead attachment arm that was shortened about about 5mm to allow the floor of the chassis by another 5mm or so and move the entire front battery hold down part to be moved out of the way and thus saving a significant amount of chassis floor space for the 16mm longer batteries.

Looking at the difference in fitting of the new Rustl4r bulkhead and the slash lcg chassis which can use the bulkhead from the “old” Rustl4r, everything lines up except the two protruding parts of the bulkhead. So that is probably the only change, the two holes on the chassis moved forward by that difference.

That isn't the Ruster 4x4 chassis in your photo...that's the Slash 4x4 chassis.

RC Qualifier

Looking at the difference in fitting of the new Rustl4r bulkhead and the slash lcg chassis which can use the bulkhead from the “old” Rustl4r everything lines up except the two protruding parts of the bulkhead. So that is probably the only change, the two holes on the chassis moved forward by that difference.

That isn't the Ruster 4x4 chassis in your photo...that's the Slash 4x4 chassis.

Correct, That’s what I said, slash lcg chassis.

The front of the slash lcg chassis is identical to the “old” Rustl4r chassis since they can use the same bulkhead. If it doesn’t fit then Sl4sh lcg chassis, then for the purpose of discussion, it can serve as a stand in for a bare “old” Rustl4r chassis. No?

Lol, yup. DLA and GSA contracts. The civilian owned contractors are a shady bunch. I'm blown away by some of the things they get away with. Going back to Land Surveying once the lockdown is lifted. It pays better, and I get to be outside all day.

RC Competitor
    What do you mean? From the other thread
    Well then nevermind. I didn't know Traxxas had put out a new chassis.

Now my 6 month old Rustler is outdated, awesome!

RC poster
    Has anyone tried to transition from the “old” chassis to the “new” on the 4x4 VXL? I ended up with the “old”, made the mistake buying the longer battery, and am interested in trying to change it out. Who’s done this and what can you share?

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by Erobb79 View Post
    Has anyone tried to transition from the “old” chassis to the “new” on the 4x4 VXL? I ended up with the “old”, made the mistake buying the longer battery, and am interested in trying to change it out. Who’s done this and what can you share?
    Yes.

https://forums.traxxas.com/showthrea...=1#post6541717

In addition to the parts list at that link, you'll need to reuse the fasteners from the bulkhead and the front clip of the old battery hold-down. On mine I also had to back the battery hold-down pivot post nut off a bit so the bar laid flat against the battery. Not a big deal but good to be aware of.
    Last edited by cgrant26; 06-11-2020 at 09:00 PM.