RC Racer

4600kv sensored?

Yo dudes. I got a 4600kv sensored castle motor. I think its the 1406. I'm wondering if i bought a mamba x would it work for crawling with the right gearing? Or would it just be useless and not have enough torque? And would the mamba x micro work in a trx4 or is it too heavy?

To keep the motor from burning up you would have to gear it way down, and I do not believe there is enough range between the available spurs and pinions to be able to do that. Worst case, you can throw it in, gear it down, and see what it down while watching the motor temps.

Not sure about the Mamba Micro. I have hear of people using them in crawlers, but I am fairly sure those were lighter rigs.
    Submarine Qualified, Chief Inducted, Navy Retired

RC Racer
    I'd rather not drop all that cash for a mamba x on a risk. Think I'll just stick with brushed for now.

I don't see why a Mamba X wouldn't work. Greatscott is talking about a different ESC than you were.

The Mamba x took the place of the Mamba Max Pro.

Re-read: Which esc are you talking about? There is a plain Mamba X and a Mamba Micro x.

I will agree with GreatScott about the micro X being on the small side for that motor.
    Last edited by grizzly03; 06-03-2020 at 10:49 AM.

RC Racer
    Is there a cheaper sensored esc that'd work? That mamba x is so dang pricey.

Quote Originally Posted by MysterE View Post
    Is there a cheaper sensored esc that'd work? That mamba x is so dang pricey.
    The HW Axe system is less expensive, but nothing that I have used.

I am running the Mamba X in three RCs now, and to me, that system will well worth the money. It gives a good amount of speed, excellent crawling power, and smooth as silk control throughout the power band.
    Submarine Qualified, Chief Inducted, Navy Retired

The HW Axe is also very good (as suggested above). I have heard that the drag brake is amazing and that the motor is sealed very well (no water gets in the motor when it is completely submerged, but I have not used it myself). If top speed isn't something too important to you, go with a Hobbywing 1080 ESC and a HH motor (has more torque and is much smoother than the stock motor).

RC Racer
    I have the 1080 and a 21t trailmaster. Honestly im just doing research while i wait for my sport kit to show up. Belive it or not, traxxas lost a $800k order for all of canada last week so im still waiting. My amazon order of the 1080 and motor showed up before the kit itself which i ordered through my lhs

RC Qualifier
    Yo dudes. I got a 4600kv sensored castle motor. I think its the 1406. I'm wondering if i bought a mamba x would it work for crawling with the right gearing? Or would it just be useless and not have enough torque? And would the mamba x micro work in a trx4 or is it too heavy?
    I think the Mamba Micro don't work woth this KV rating, take a look on the data sheet:

http://www.castlecreations.com/en/ma...sc-010-0147-00

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by Greatscott View Post
    The HW Axe system is less expensive, but nothing that I have used.

I am running the Mamba X in three RCs now, and to me, that system will well worth the money. It gives a good amount of speed, excellent crawling power, and smooth as silk control throughout the power band.
    Agree with this, I have an Axe and it is an excellent combo for crawling.

RC Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by Juanmacine View Post
    Agree with this, I have an Axe and it is an excellent combo for crawling.
    I have the axe 540 itís excellent for crawling but my 1200 kv has no real top speed

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by michaelbackwood View Post
    I have the axe 540 it’s excellent for crawling but my 1200 kv has no real top speed

This Axe comes in 1200, 1800 or 2300kv rating, I have the 2300 and very happy with it, power, torque and speed, all in one.

RC Racer
    I have the 1080 and a 21t trailmaster. Honestly im just doing research while i wait for my sport kit to show up. Belive it or not, traxxas lost a $800k order for all of canada last week so im still waiting. My amazon order of the 1080 and motor showed up before the kit itself which i ordered through my lhs
    That is a great setup, one of the best for the price. You asked previously of a cheaper brushless sensored esc that would work, the one I have in my son's was about 45 delivered. The hobbywing 10bl120. It has great low speed control, and surprisingly strong drag brake. It does have instant forward/reverse. The only downsides are its not waterproof (easily fixed with conformal coating if needed, as I did), and you can't adjust the drag brake on the remote while driving as you can with the mamba x or tekin rx4. But for the price, it's a good esc.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve g View Post
    That is a great setup, one of the best for the price. You asked previously of a cheaper brushless sensored esc that would work, the one I have in my son's was about 45 delivered. The hobbywing 10bl120. It has great low speed control, and surprisingly strong drag brake. It does have instant forward/reverse. The only downsides are its not waterproof (easily fixed with conformal coating if needed, as I did), and you can't adjust the drag brake on the remote while driving as you can with the mamba x or tekin rx4. But for the price, it's a good esc.

I have a 10BL120 from Hobbywing and a 25,5T motor 3650 G2, very usable for crawling, if yu adjust it properly.

RC Racer
    Oh that's good to know! Thanks guys. I'll look into that esc for sure.

RC Racer
    If you run the 4600kv, you'll be limited to 2s, and as greatscott mentioned, gear as low as possible. Would be a good idea to grab the LED programming card, easier then going through programming with the set button.

RC Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by Juanmacine View Post
    This Axe comes in 1200, 1800 or 2300kv rating, I have the 2300 and very happy with it, power, torque and speed, all in one.
    Axe has a 550 3300 kv now

RC Racer
    If you run the 4600kv, you'll be limited to 2s, and as greatscott mentioned, gear as low as possible. Would be a good idea to grab the LED programming card, easier then going through programming with the set button.

Would the program card i got with my 1080 work or would i need a different one? And why would i be limited to 2s? The motor kv shouldn't affect that unless we're talking about what the motor itself can handle. But i run that 4600kv on my slash 4x4 right now on 3s all day long.

RC Qualifier
    Would the program card i got with my 1080 work or would i need a different one? And why would i be limited to 2s? The motor kv shouldn't affect that unless we're talking about what the motor itself can handle. But i run that 4600kv on my slash 4x4 right now on 3s all day long.
    The program card is different for this ESC. See the motor limits in the user manuals to know you can use 3S or 2S.

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by michaelbackwood View Post
    Axe has a 550 3300 kv now

Yeah, 550 is in 2700 and 3300 Kv.

RC Racer
    Roger that. Thanks again.

RC Racer
    The escis limited to 10.5 in 3s, which is roughly about 3600kv I think, depending on manufacturer (and timing). Though being in a crawler, keeping the timing at 0, it'll probably be ok. Not sure if you want to risk it, but gear it as low as possible and keep an eye on temps, it'll probably be fine. But it is a little risky. Motor should be fine, again keep an eye on temps. I've ran 4s on the castle 1410 3800kv in a crawler, but on a tekin rx8.

RC Qualifier
    The escis limited to 10.5 in 3s, which is roughly about 3600kv I think, depending on manufacturer (and timing). Though being in a crawler, keeping the timing at 0, it'll probably be ok. Not sure if you want to risk it, but gear it as low as possible and keep an eye on temps, it'll probably be fine. But it is a little risky. Motor should be fine, again keep an eye on temps. I've ran 4s on the castle 1410 3800kv in a crawler, but on a tekin rx8.

Exactly, I have this config in an ARRMA SENTON, 10,5T motor and 1'BL120 ESC, and in 3S is the limit.