Does body effect performance?

Does the body choice really affect the performance of the car? I'm assuming that at 60-70 mph a more aerodynamic would be slightly better, but would it makes the difference between being slightly below 70mph and breaking 70?

And is it recommended to run without a wing/spoiler? I've got a pretty aggressive gt wing on my current body.
    Jumping: maneuver and pray it won't break.

So I would say that the body would affect the performance only to some degree. If it is a regular sized touring car body, it most likely won't make a lot of difference. If you change from a really bulky and boxy body (a truck body for example) to a sleek racing body, you would probably notice some difference (only noticeable at high speeds). I also have a spoiler on mine, and it doesn't really give any noticeable amount of downforce (using the stock brushed motor). Makes the car look good though. I did a test on it with a leaf blower, and a shock spring (the spring looks compressed but is at about the same compression without the wind):

In the video, you can see that there is a bit of downforce to compress the spring slightly, but not enough to keep it still, so the car bounces up and down.

RC Enthusiast
    Yes, and the aero mods you do affect it as well. I have two bodies, in stock form the fox Mustang sometimes wanted to blow over at 40mph+. To fix that I made a front splitter, a rear undertray (a diffuser I guess), and a Saleen spoiler. It handles fantastic and stays glued to the ground no matter what. I can take it over 50 with no fear.

If I pop on the '05 GT40 body on the same suspension set up for the Mustang it will go fine in a straight line, but there's some pressure zone bowing up the body in the rear. It also likes to spin out more in turns. I did some mods to the GT body, I haven't tested it yet. I need to make a splitter for it as well, I dont want to use the spoiler that came with it. I want to take this body to 70mph.

But your best speed run bodies for every decimal MPH are low, no wing, and the rear cut out for drag.

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by TITANIUM94010 View Post
    Does the body choice really affect the performance of the car? I'm assuming that at 60-70 mph a more aerodynamic would be slightly better, but would it makes the difference between being slightly below 70mph and breaking 70?

And is it recommended to run without a wing/spoiler? I've got a pretty aggressive gt wing on my current body.
    Yes, I am testing bodies right now while I wait on the mail and the Ford Mustang GT body flips at about 40mph. I ran a Carisma Mercedes AMG Type-C DTM last night without the canards and wing and it flipped at 60mph. The Ford GT body may have faired better, but I don't like the fake rear intakes (or Ford). I am going to run the Mercedes body again with canards and wing when the battery finishes topping off and I anticipate better results. My DeltaPlastik speed run body is in the mail. Taking it to 6s 2200kv next Friday; eventually 8s.

Wings are good for downforce up to a point (140mph IIRC) and then cause too much drag and are either moved to near horizontal or removed altogether in favor of a spoiler or vertical stabilizers.

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by Decoy Octopus View Post
    and the rear cut out for drag.
    I am going to test the MST diffuser on the 4tec. It's in the mail from China, so another couple of weeks out. I will report back.

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by Spechal View Post
    Yes, I am testing bodies right now while I wait on the mail and the Ford Mustang GT body flips at about 40mph. I ran a Carisma Mercedes AMG Type-C DTM last night without the canards and wing and it flipped at 60mph. The Ford GT body may have faired better, but I don't like the fake rear intakes (or Ford). I am going to run the Mercedes body again with canards and wing when the battery finishes topping off and I anticipate better results. My DeltaPlastik speed run body is in the mail. Taking it to 6s 2200kv next Friday; eventually 8s.

Wings are good for downforce up to a point (140mph IIRC) and then cause too much drag and are either moved to near horizontal or removed altogether in favor of a spoiler or vertical stabilizers.
    Adding the wing and canards, I hit the advertised 70+mph (71mph) before I ran out of runway and had to let up and try to turn out of it. Unfortunately, it slid into a curb and broke the rear carrier and lost the drive axle.

What sucks is I was just looking at the LHS today for aluminum carriers but they didn't have any.

RC Competitor
    If I may throw in my 2. I ran my 4-tec this weekend at a parking lot race using the Protoform C8 body. I think the rear wing really helped keep the rear down. There was a high speed left at the end of the straight and I was surprised how well it turned full throttle through there.