RC poster

Abnormal acceleration. Cooked motor?

Hey everyone!

During running my second pack,Noticed that power delivery was nonlinear, the best way to describe it is it would act as if it was switching between 2 gears. Basically when applying full throttle it feels like initial acceleration is at 50% before it gains momentum and kick-in additional power to get it to its maximum speed.

I stopped the car when i noticed the odd behaviour and touched the motor. It was very hot, the central transmission casing was extremely hot too (did not have a meter on me). To be frank, while running it i did not give the motor much time to cool down

I let the motor cool down for 10 minutes before trying to run it again and it seemed to run fine for a couple of minutes before the battery ran out.

On later examination, the drivetrain runs smooth, however i noticed i can rotate the back wheels while holding the front wheels stationary. Even though i did not lose 4x4 power when running the car. I dont know if that is a sign of damage or does the torque-biasing center driveshaft allows that to happen.

My thoughts and questions:
    - Did i burn out the motor? How can i tell?
    - Does the motor have a reduce power mode to protect it from damage?
    - ESC did not have any warning lights on.
    - Damaged the transmission?

Thank you so much for your help!
    Last edited by hamza.omari; 06-03-2020 at 06:45 AM.

RC Competitor
    My thought is the over temp warning kicked in. Also could of been low battery warning. Was that just one battery pack you ran?

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

RC Enthusiast
    Hello, for me the engine is cooked .... I had the same symptoms on my 4x2 slash. Disassemble the engine, open it and check.

RC poster
    What am I looking for? How do I know if it’s ruined / damaged?

RC Enthusiast
    around the rotor there is a protection (kevlar I think), this protection is yellowish in color, if it is burnt then the engine is too high in temperature ...

RC Enthusiast
    Excuse my english, i’m french and i use Google Translate

RC poster
    Quote Originally Posted by BALEK View Post
    around the rotor there is a protection (kevlar I think), this protection is yellowish in color, if it is burnt then the engine is too high in temperature ...
    Thanks for the reply, your English is totally fine. Can that be repaired or need to replace motor.

RC Enthusiast
    I have not seen a spare part for this engine .... Traxxas does not offer one. Take the opportunity to put the 1515 2200kv castle (it is more efficient than the traxxas) or put the leopard v2 1680kv for more torque and especially less heating.

RC poster
    Quote Originally Posted by Auto5119 View Post
    My thought is the over temp warning kicked in. Also could of been low battery warning. Was that just one battery pack you ran?
    Thanks for the reply, but There were no warning lights flashing in the ESC though.

RC poster
    I have not seen a spare part for this engine .... Traxxas does not offer one. Take the opportunity to put the 1515 2200kv castle (it is more efficient than the traxxas) or put the leopard v2 1680kv for more torque and especially less heating.
    Heat is a big problem for me since I live in Dubai and i run the UDR in the desert on sand. Can the leopard handle 6S power?

Any thoughts about my comment regarding the slipping transmission? Or is that normal? (I can explain it more if my original post is not clear about this)
    Last edited by hamza.omari; 06-03-2020 at 01:58 PM.

RC Enthusiast
    yes the leopard v2 can manage the 6s but only the 1680kv. Concerning your wheels which turn when others are blocked it is due to the central differential so completely normal. To be quiet in Dubai with the heat, you have no choice but to change the engine or install a fan under the cockpit and create forced air intakes.

RC poster
    yes the leopard v2 can manage the 6s but only the 1680kv.
    Hello again,

Do you know any good online source? I have been looking soooo much and I can’t find. I find it only on AliExpress but they take too much time. Do you know any good source.

I have an address in China that can forward the parcel to me, so if source is China that is also fine.

Thanks for the help!

RC Enthusiast
    Hello, for this kind of thing I only provide myself in France at: RC TEAM.fr and BREIZH MODÉLISME.fr. I do not know the shipping methods for Dubai ... to do with them. By cons if you take the Leopard, consider taking pods because that of the leopard are smaller than Velineon. Traxxas is 6.5mm.

RC poster
    By cons if you take the Leopard, consider taking pods because that of the leopard are smaller than Velineon. Traxxas is 6.5mm.
    Apologies for too many questions, I am new to the hobby.

What is pods? And which size is correct?

Thank you,

RC Enthusiast
    wrong translation of my previous message. I'm talking about the connectors that go from the engine to the ESC. They will therefore have to be replaced with 6.5mm connectors in order to be able to connect it to the Vxl-6S. Good start in the rc

RC poster
    wrong translation of my previous message. I'm talking about the connectors that go from the engine to the ESC. They will therefore have to be replaced with 6.5mm connectors in order to be able to connect it to the Vxl-6S. Good start in the rc
    Connector type seems compatible, no? If not I will weld connector from the old burnt motor.

RC Enthusiast
    it seems compatible but they are smaller .... in 6,5mm there is only Traxxas and Castle, so you will have to solder the connectors of your burned engine.

RC poster
    it seems compatible but they are smaller .... in 6,5mm there is only Traxxas and Castle, so you will have to solder the connectors of your burned engine.
    Thank so much for all your help! You’ve been amazing!

RC Enthusiast
    with pleasure, enjoy this wonderful machine that is the UDR !!

RC poster
    it seems compatible but they are smaller ....
    Back with more questions!!! Do you know their size?

I want to purchase an adaptor online instead of soldering.

RC Enthusiast
    follows Auto5119's advice

RC poster
    The center differential is what is allowing you to hold the front wheels and still rotate the rear...totally normal.