Results 1 to 11 of 11
  1. #1
    RC poster
    Join Date
    Jun 2020
    Posts
    4

    First Traxxas - Rustler 4x4 VXL - NiMh? Or Lipo?

    Hi everyone!

    I am about to purchase a Rustler 4x4 VXL, as my first RC purchase in over 10 years. I have always wanted a Traxxas and am finally pulling the trigger. When I was in middle school and high school I had a dozen xmods and a mini-T.

    My question for you all is about batteries. I am thinking of starting with a basic NiMh battery, so I can re-learn to drive before stepping up to 2S and 3S. What do you think? Or should i just jump right into a 2S and learn everything all at once with more power? (I've never had lipo before either)

    Any suggestions/comments are appreciated!

  2. #2
    RC Competitor
    Join Date
    Jan 2020
    Location
    Phoenix, AZ
    Posts
    86
    There's a setting in the ESC for training mode, which gives 50% power. If you are set on using 3s (which I was) then just put it in training mode until you're comfortable driving it, then take it out and let it rip!

    Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

  3. #3
    RC poster
    Join Date
    Jun 2020
    Posts
    4
    Quote Originally Posted by GTSDart340 View Post
    There's a setting in the ESC for training mode, which gives 50% power. If you are set on using 3s (which I was) then just put it in training mode until you're comfortable driving it, then take it out and let it rip!

    Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk
    I was actually thinking that learning on training mode with Nimh might be the best option. HAHA.
    But maybe 2S on training mode is safe enough?

  4. #4
    RC Competitor
    Join Date
    Jan 2020
    Location
    Phoenix, AZ
    Posts
    86
    Quote Originally Posted by almonds View Post
    I was actually thinking that learning on training mode with Nimh might be the best option. HAHA.
    But maybe 2S on training mode is safe enough?
    I got my Rustler 4x4 VXL as my first real RC. I had some of the cheap ones when I was younger, but nothing crazy. I got mine with a 3s and charger. I ran it on training mode for a couple weeks, then went for it. I feel like 3s training mode was good for me. My 10 year old can handle the 3s on training mode, for the record

    Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

  5. #5
    RC Qualifier
    Join Date
    Nov 2018
    Location
    Livermore, CA
    Posts
    620
    Quote Originally Posted by GTSDart340 View Post
    I got my Rustler 4x4 VXL as my first real RC. I had some of the cheap ones when I was younger, but nothing crazy. I got mine with a 3s and charger. I ran it on training mode for a couple weeks, then went for it. I feel like 3s training mode was good for me. My 10 year old can handle the 3s on training mode, for the record

    Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk
    Skip the NIMH if you know how to handle Lipo. Traxxas sells 40mm tall 10000mah 2s battery that fits the rustler 4x4 that will be more than enough to power it and gets you a looooong run time. Personally I would start there.

  6. #6
    RC Racer
    Join Date
    Mar 2019
    Location
    VT
    Posts
    153
    I'll 3rd or 4th the opinions voiced above. Skip the NiMh, unless you REALLY have money to burn.
    When I got my 9-year son a brushed Rustler 4x4 last year, I picked up a couple of NiMh batteries, and while they did get used (in conjunction with 'training mode') for a month or so, the move to 2S lipo was pretty quick, followed by upgrades to brushless power. At this point, I'm wondering how I can find a home for them (as they NEVER get used).

    So, Almonds, if you wanna pay shipping from Vermont, I'll send a pair of Traxxas NiMh batteries (PN 2926) that fit in the Rustler 4x4*. Hit me with a PM if yer interested.

    Also, Please do read up on the safe care-n-feeding of LiPo batteries. With a good charger, common sense, and being mindful of the potential consequences of what COULD happen if they are charged/treated carelessly, LiPo batteries are a great thing.

    --BillJ

    * - These NiMH batteries fit in the 'short' battery version of the Rustler 4x4. Traxxas just recently started shipping a version of the Rustler 4x4 that can accept longer batteries, and I assume that the shorter batteries will fit in the longer-battery-chassis (maybe needing some foam padding to take up the extra room), but I've not actually done it.

  7. #7
    RC Racer
    Join Date
    Jan 2020
    Location
    not in an ocean
    Posts
    159
    Yeah, lipos take more care, but have a TON more power. Worth the upgrade and money. I learned to drive with nimh, and it was good enough for me back then. I actually store my lipos in the fireplace, the most fire prooth place in the house! lol! I never use that fireplace, so I know I won't catch them on fire by using the fireplace for a fire, lol!

  8. #8
    RC Racer
    Join Date
    Jan 2020
    Location
    not in an ocean
    Posts
    159
    By the way, welcome to Traxxas forums!!!

  9. #9
    RC Enthusiast
    Join Date
    May 2020
    Location
    Athens, Greece
    Posts
    39
    Let me add 1 more thing, if you get the Traxxas Link (which I suggest not only for this reason but for multiple reasons) you can actually set training mode to be at whatever % you want. I only have 3s batteries and I can still give it to my 4 year old son to drive at open space, I just cut down the power to 20 - 22%.

  10. #10
    RC Racer
    Join Date
    Mar 2019
    Location
    VT
    Posts
    153
    Quote Originally Posted by Vulgi View Post
    Let me add 1 more thing, if you get the Traxxas Link (which I suggest not only for this reason but for multiple reasons) you can actually set training mode to be at whatever % you want. I only have 3s batteries and I can still give it to my 4 year old son to drive at open space, I just cut down the power to 20 - 22%.
    Yep, but keep in mind that when you go down that low on power, you are also cutting the power of the brakes by that much too. I was shocked at just how poorly my rustler 4x4 stopped when I had used the App to turn the power down to 25%. Verify it for yourself and see if it meets your needs.
    I have used the Traxxas Forums to highlight this a few times (in addition to calling the support line at least once), so I'm GUESSING that Traxxas is aware of the concern, and is uninterested or unwilling to address it.
    YMMV --BillJ

  11. #11
    RC Enthusiast
    Join Date
    May 2020
    Location
    Athens, Greece
    Posts
    39
    Quote Originally Posted by Single_Trac View Post
    Yep, but keep in mind that when you go down that low on power, you are also cutting the power of the brakes by that much too. I was shocked at just how poorly my rustler 4x4 stopped when I had used the App to turn the power down to 25%. Verify it for yourself and see if it meets your needs.
    I have used the Traxxas Forums to highlight this a few times (in addition to calling the support line at least once), so I'm GUESSING that Traxxas is aware of the concern, and is uninterested or unwilling to address it.
    YMMV --BillJ
    Yes that is a good point but on the other hand you have a much lower speed to worry about.

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •