RC poster

New 550 21t motor break in help

Do it in the trx 4 or out?
    In water or out?
    How ? Lol
    Obviously for best performance
    Do brushless motors need to be broken in? ( just curious)
    Thanks guys.

For the most part crawlers really do not need a break in, just run it. If you REALLY feel the need, just run it around at about 1/2 speed for about 10 minutes, blow it out with air, and you're good.

The water method is an old-school racer's trick when they'd get spec motor and wanted to cut the brushes into the sweet spot quickly, the water acts as an abrasive on the brushes. The problem with this method is that it wears a lot of the like out of a motor very quickly.

No, brushless motors do not need to be broke in.
    Submarine Qualified, Chief Inducted, Navy Retired

RC Qualifier
    If you use purified water or distilled, is better.

RC poster
    ok so i decided to try it in water. I used 2 AA batteries and ran it for about 20 mins..

Warning The AA bateries got pretty hot but the motor was cool as a cucumber!

After i took it out of the water i dried it out oiled it up then installed the new motor into trx4.

I ran it on flat ground doing 50% passes back and fourth for about 10 mins the motor was still pretty cool so i ran it for another 10 mins incresing power on each run to finally reach 100% throttle.

seems to run a lot smoother than my first motor ( Brushes got Chewed up did I NOT Break in first motor)

if i was to do it again i would swap the AA batteries out and run another 2 AA batteries (do what i did this time in water Twice)

P.s This Truck is not only used for crawling but trail running too so hopefully this info helps

Ultimately id like to get more out of the High Gear but im not sure how to do that without compromising the lo gear crawl aspect of the vehicle

So, you understand, you took about 25% of that motor's life out of it by using water. Completely unnecessary.

If you are trying to get more performance out of the truck, you will want to run 3S, change motors, or go with a low-turn sensored brushless system.
    Submarine Qualified, Chief Inducted, Navy Retired

RC Competitor
    The old water break-in method was as stated above for spec motors (or breaking in 12t titans) those motors pulled a lot of current through the brushes compared to a 21t in a crawler. We do not really need a "break-in" as these motors are not stressed, I just would not run 3s right out of the gate. Maybe run it on flat ground a while to get the brushes seated with low throttle. our trx4 its more important to periodically clean and lube the bushings. Im sure that new motor after a good water break in will still have a nice long life.

RC Champion
    I was one of those guy's on here who didn't listen to the advice of member recommendations.

I did the water breakin on 3 seperate motors when we first bought our 12T Stampede and I can tell you from experience that they run smoother for sure but after trying the Traxxas manual way to break in the motors I was really surprised at how much more life we ended up getting out of our motors.

We've since gone brushless but I would never recommend the water breakin because of shorter life span of the motor, just my 2 cents.