RC Competitor

Help with SLOW Slash

I bought a pre-roller Slash 4x4 (it was a Monster Energy version) in new condition off eBay and plugged in a spare Velineon motor system and ESC. It has a 13T pinion gear and when running 2S and 3S LiPO batteries is SLOW.

Iíve reset the ESC to make sure itís in Sport mode about 10 times over the last month, checked for driveline binding, tried my other batteries, checked the slipper clutch and rear drivetrain, and just havenít been able to spot the issue.

When the motor and ESC were in my slash, it ran without issue at speeds I would expect. I also ran it side by side to my Rustler VXL that has the same power system and it was no contest for the Rustler. If I had to guess, Iíd say the car tops out at 15mph and the Rustler does about 45 mph.

Any ideas? Frustrated with it since I put some money into it and it sucks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RC Qualifier
    Is it faster in reverse than forward?

Sent from my VS996 using Tapatalk

RC Competitor
    Quote Originally Posted by dgechrgr469 View Post
    Is it faster in reverse than forward?

Iíll check tomorrow. If so, what does that mean and how is it fixed?

RC Qualifier
    If it runs faster in reverse than forward it means you need to reverse the rotation on your motor and then reverse the forward /reverse on your radio transmitter switch to get the proper forward speed. You switch any two wires on the motor then reverse your forward/reverse on your transmitter. You should be able to find info online for reversing your transmitter. Traxxas radios are a little more difficult to reverse than others which are usually changed by a switch.

RC Competitor
    I would try swapping the motor with the rustler. See if the problem continues. If the rustlers slow then itís the motor. If not then thereís a problem with the esc or the transmitter.

The VXL and brushed versions have different differential gearing. Did you happen to get the latter?
    The Super Derecho

RC Racer
    Did you recalibrate everything? Had an issue with new esc and motor, seemed about 75% power, recalibrated the esc again and it fixed it.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

RC Competitor
    Quote Originally Posted by dgechrgr469 View Post
    If it runs faster in reverse than forward it means you need to reverse the rotation on your motor and then reverse the forward /reverse on your radio transmitter switch to get the proper forward speed. You switch any two wires on the motor then reverse your forward/reverse on your transmitter. You should be able to find info online for reversing your transmitter. Traxxas radios are a little more difficult to reverse than others which are usually changed by a switch.

I tried this yesterday and itís roughly the same. I havenít done a side by side vs the rustler or quantify it but there wasnít an outright noticeable change.

Quote Originally Posted by Double G View Post
    The VXL and brushed versions have different differential gearing. Did you happen to get the latter?
    Yes. The version I have originally came with a brushed XL-5 motor I believe. So would the fix be to get a VXL diff / kit?

Quote Originally Posted by PFongemie View Post
    I would try swapping the motor with the rustler. See if the problem continues. If the rustlers slow then itís the motor. If not then thereís a problem with the esc or the transmitter.

Good thinking Iíll give it a shot. Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve g View Post
    Did you recalibrate everything? Had an issue with new esc and motor, seemed about 75% power, recalibrated the esc again and it fixed it.

Yes, I did this about 3-5 times with the help of Traxxas support as Iím using a FlySky Tx/Rx setup and partway through the calibration the ESC would lock up. I had to swap in a Traxxas Rx, calibrate, then deal back to the FlySky. Speed was same before and after.

After a few battery packs it looks like the issue was fixed by reversing the motor direction. The change was subtle at first - on 2S from a dig, acceleration was about the same. Once it got to the top end it seemed to level out higher, but was tough to tell. I was also having issues with my Rustler so comparing them back to back wasnít an option.

Then I went to a 3S battery pack and the top end was much faster than before. It still feels a little slower than the rustler, but since this is an HCG with 4x4 and 2.2 Trenchers vs a Rustler 2WD on 2.2 GLocs, itís not entirely apples to apples. While I was working through the issues I also swapped on some metal / aluminum drive train parts from my Slash Platinum so it feels better overall too.

Thanks to all for your help!!

Last edited by cooleocool; 06-07-2020 at 02:33 AM. Reason: merge

RC Racer
    Glad you got it sorted

Quote Originally Posted by jeffucd View Post

Yes. The version I have originally came with a brushed XL-5 motor I believe. So would the fix be to get a VXL diff / kit?

https://traxxas.com/sites/default/fi...-ML-121120.pdf

You'll noticed a lot of similarities between the nitro Revo, E-Revo, XO-1 and Slash 4x4. For strength and reliability you could drop in an XO-1 diff or purchase the parts separately.
    The Super Derecho