Thread: Broken axle

RC Enthusiast

Broken axle

Went to the beach today and was bashing around in the hard packed sand near the water aannd broke an axle. I just put on the belted badlands tires, are they too big for stock gearing? Or grab too hard for low gear bashing? Or was it maybe just the hard pack of the wet sand? I run the vxl3s brushless system with a smc 3s lipo. Also have a stock axle ordered for now but if it happens again ill be buying metal shafts for sure.

The electronics on the Slash will handle 3S, but really the rest of the truck is made for 2S. If you run 3S, you will break more axles. Recommend looking at aftermarket axles from MIP or Techno.
    Submarine Qualified, Chief Inducted, Navy Retired

RC Qualifier
    just get the rustler 4x4 ones they are great, I use them with 4s lipo and sand paws and have no issues , I agree about the tires and weight , Just stick with small tires , I have 3 sets of 2.2 sand paws , they last forever and don’t balloon, even on 4s once taped, dont get metal driveshafts they just cause your diff gears to break

RC Qualifier
    just stay away from metal shafts, I have tried all of them , mip , traxxas cvd, grp..... , your drive line needs some give, they all add like 10xs the weight and break the diff sun gears

RC Enthusiast
    Thank you. Ill stay away from metal shafts by the looks of it. Ill go back to the higher gear as well.

RC Qualifier
    good idea , add some punch control on your esc if you can too

RC Enthusiast
    Thank you, I'll look into that. I really want to do what I can to keep the badlands on there cause those things are grabby. I mean wheelies in the dirt or grass grabby. The BFG's that came on it would spin with almost no traction at all on grass or gravel. They were also about 100$ haha. I had to trim up the body for clearance as well. I wanted to cut the fenders off completely but was afraid of how it would look.