Thread: Motor Cooling

Motor Cooling

I run 3s in my merv so my motor runs on the hot side. I have been looking for a fan mount and found this from Yeah racing. It needed to be modded a little, now after one pack in the motor is cooler than the Esc.

As you can see there is no opening for air to escape with a fan mounted on top.

Here it is mounted with an aluminum fan. I might get another and try with multiple small holes instead of one like shown.

Did Traxxas change the LVC threshold? Just put the battery on charge and it was at 3.5v. I usually don't run my vehicles until the LVC turns on.
    Last edited by grizzly03; 06-06-2020 at 02:37 PM. Reason: added question

Good idea. Know I probably need to put a fan on my Merv. I need to check it and see how warm it is getting. Guess I gotta get that rear diff back together first.....

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

RC Enthusiast
    That is the same fan I bought for my 1/16 slash and that is EXACTLY the same idea I had.
    It made zero sense to have a fan on top the heatsink with no air flow. The fan would just pressurize the air volume above the motor and then the fan would just spin pointlessly. I even asked YeahRacing about this and they didn't have a decent explanation for the lack of airflow.

I made three small holes on either side so the air can be sucked from above the fan and flow out the sides of the heatsink.
    How well it works, I haven't measured, but I was able to run a 1300mah 3s flat without the overheat protection kicking on like it was doing before.

Now though, I have sort of stopped running the car outside (in the Floridian heat) on dirt roads with stock tires.
    I've been dialing it in for a local carpet track. The building is shaded (no AC), less full throttle than I would use bashing about on the dirt and a smoother surface. So unlikely to see heat issues anymore. Also running 1/10 touring wheels which are a few mm smaller than the stock Slash tires (and lighter too).

I am waiting for a free scrap computer to show up and I intend to use a processor fan to either replace the tiny motor fan or add cooling for the ESC.

Quote Originally Posted by BradMD_96 View Post
    ...It made zero sense to have a fan on top the heatsink with no air flow. The fan would just pressurize the air volume above the motor and then the fan would just spin pointlessly...
    It makes no sense. Air needs to circulate to be of any benefit. Definitely something that makes you wonder what were they thinking.

Quote Originally Posted by BradMD_96 View Post
    I am waiting for a free scrap computer to show up and I intend to use a processor fan to either replace the tiny motor fan or add cooling for the ESC.
    I'm looking for a 20mmx20mm aluminum case fan myself for the ESC. If I find something Ill post it up.

Brought the merv to a family BBQ dinner and let everyone have some fun. So far I think it has made a big difference. I'm really impressed that it works this good, so I'm going to order another for the mini-summit. These mini's are always a hit at the parties, both kids and adults alike.

RC Qualifier
    Got a link for both heat sink and fan? Is that a 30x30? Recently broke my plastic fan, they don't last long being plastic...

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

I purchased from nitrohobbies. I didn't use the plastic fan that came with it. Here is what I purchased.

Yeah Racing YA-0471BK 25mmx25mm aluminum case fan
    Yeah Racing YA-0461RD 380 heat sink

PM me if you want to bash near Grass Valley, CA
    Hey BradMD 96, got a link for the touring wheels you like? Thanks.
    Love my MERV.
    Obstacle Magnet

RC Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by jvogel View Post
    Hey BradMD 96, got a link for the touring wheels you like? Thanks.
    Love my MERV.
    These are what I picked up - I got them for $10 ish, the prices on amazon fluctuate from time to time.
    Also, if you browse amazon there are a bunch of other designs and colours.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I pretty much went on amazon, searched for 1/10 touring wheels and priced from low to high. The majority are 12mm.
    But so far I've been very impressed. I wasn't sure if they would be brittle junk that take one hit and crumble but they appear to be good quality hobby grade wheels. After a ton of bashing, racing, jumping and crashes they still run very true and the tires don't actually show any wear.

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by grizzly03 View Post
    I purchased from nitrohobbies. I didn't use the plastic fan that came with it. Here is what I purchased.

Yeah Racing YA-0471BK 25mmx25mm aluminum case fan
    Yeah Racing YA-0461RD 380 heat sink
    Perfect thank you

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

I'm looking for a 20mmx20mm aluminum case fan myself for the ESC. If I find something Ill post it up.
    I found this 20x20 fan that could work. I still haven't found an aluminum case one.
    hobbywing/products/cooling-fan-2008sh

RC Enthusiast
    I've noticed since putting the fan on the motor, the ESC is definitely running a little cooler too. Less heat, less resistance, less load.

An alloy case fan would work well on the ESC. If you're doing any bashing or racing where the car is going to get knocked about, the plastic cases just won't last. Mine is so beat up and being held on by one screw at this point.

How well do you think the stock fan for that yeah heat sink will work? I just ordered it guess I'll see it in a month. Think I may just go with the stock fan till I break it but if it's super crappy may look at that yeah fan you listed.

Quote Originally Posted by Acidic01 View Post
    How well do you think the stock fan for that yeah heat sink will work? I just ordered it guess I'll see it in a month. Think I may just go with the stock fan till I break it but if it's super crappy may look at that yeah fan you listed.
    It should work fine. The plastic case is actually decent. Very little flex to it when I try to flex it with my hands. Also the fan blades are the same as the aluminum one. Looking at them only the outer case is different. The only reason I went aluminum was because of reading get the aluminum over the plastic fans. But that was for the bigger Erevo fans.
    (I ordered both parts at the same time, so it was getting installed)

It should work fine. The plastic case is actually decent. Very little flex to it when I try to flex it with my hands. Also the fan blades are the same as the aluminum one. Looking at them only the outer case is different. The only reason I went aluminum was because of reading get the aluminum over the plastic fans. But that was for the bigger Erevo fans.
    (I ordered both parts at the same time, so it was getting installed)
    Your links are sold out. I went with rc mart off the big A. I noticed both were plastic blades.

I have the yeah heat sink and included fans for my erevo2 I could not find any aluminum bladed fans when ordering. just yet to install them been on the healing bench for a way to long now........ Prioritys....