RC poster

New to RC - got my son a Teton

Hi All,

My son is only 5 but all the other cheap ones he's been bought by grandparents were flawed.

So I spent a bit more.

He's loving it in training mode (more batteries on the way) and I find it a fun when I take training mode off! Although its never my turn. His sister is getting into it as well.

He's pretty good at not slamming into hard things but it did drop all the little retaining cups on the springs. That was either a roll, a tbone or me getting 8ft of air and landing it perfectly. Im not sure

Remarkably we found them all and now we check every time there is a crash or roll.
    Body pins are a consumable so got a bag of them on order.

Whats major component is likely to break first?

He's not ragging it at full power for a full charge (he wants to do crawling I think)

I did quick calculation to build a teton from after market parts (inc ESC, servo, receiver and transmitter) and it came in at 450!

So the 125 i paid means there has to be some serious compromises somewhere.

Any thoughts?

Did I say hello?

RC Racer
    Hi! Only thing my son has ever broken was a front a arm. Replaced it with a rpm one and it's been golden ever since.

RC Enthusiast
    Yep, same here. One control arm and some servo gear teeth. I've been running on a 2838 brushless for nearly a month now and ran it on 3s for about 10 minutes yesterday and still haven't broken any drivetrain parts. The thing is awesome and is fast...

Sent from my Moto E (4) Plus using Tapatalk

Please watch the language. Thanks! -ksb51rl
    Last edited by ksb51rl; 06-10-2020 at 08:14 AM.

RC Racer
    Oh yeah. I replaced the stock servo after about a week. It stripped out pretty much right away. Metal gear servos are worth it in RC.

RC poster
    Sounds like it's a pretty strong little truck and the servo is the part that is most likely to go first.

Thanks

Traxxas Marshal
    Welcome to the forums and to the hobby! The Teton is definitely a tough little vehicle! Mine has held up well to some rather tough backyard bashing. The only concern I've really had has been motor heat on hot, summer days. But that's just something to keep an eye on to ensure long motor life. Enjoy!
    "Happiness depends upon ourselves." -Aristotle

RC poster
    Not that tough. Forgot to put the truck back in training mode and we were at the skate park.
    So the suspension arm kind of snapped after 6ft of air followed by a 15ft drop.
    Also even my son noticed how sloppy the steering is. Really hard to hold a line.
    Having had a closer look, all the plastic parts in the camber pin and toe in bars are really rattly.

I've seen LATRAX ALUMINIUM COMPLETE TIE ROD set that looks like it will do the business.
    Add that to an aluminium steering linkage as well as new suspension arms.

But the camber and toe in bars are sold out EVERYWHERE. I'm looking for some metal ones and some precision engineering on the ball joints.

Any ideas?

RC Enthusiast
    Swapping out the servo fixed all of my tracking issues.

RC poster
    Quote Originally Posted by tutti57 View Post
    Swapping out the servo fixed all of my tracking issues.
    All the slop is in rods, I cant see how a new servo would sort that out.

RC Enthusiast
    Whelp, I don't know what to tell ya. Maybe it was missing some teeth.

RC poster
    Quote Originally Posted by tutti57 View Post
    Whelp, I don't know what to tell ya. Maybe it was missing some teeth.

Its the plastic rods and the cups on the end. They rattle on the ball joints.
    The front wheels can move 10 degrees (about) without the servo moving.

RC poster
    My 3 and 5 yo each have a Teton. In the last year I've replaced both servos, 6 or 7 front body mount posts, 5 lower arms, 3 front axle carriers, 2 front shocks, 1 differential/bulkhead housing, 1 drive shaft, countless bearings, 1 body and eleventy-billion body clips.
    The steering bellcrank on both are worn out and allow tons of slop, so those are next on the replacement list.

My boys drive these like stunt-men daily regardless of weather. Snow, ice, rain, mud, and 110⁰ Moab dessert rock and sand, so I'd say these things are holding up pretty good.