RC poster

Suspension Tinkering

I recently installed the "purple" 3.2 rate springs onto the rear shocks of my Summit to help prevent squatting during acceleration, since it was resulting in some bottom outs when hitting jumps and stuff.

I was surprised to find that without any preload they felt softer than the stock springs set at 50% preload. When I matched preload to 50%, they were noticably stiffer and gave me the suspension firmness I wanted. However, the shocks seemed underdamped with the stock 40wt suspension silicone. The rear end bounces pretty aggressively when dropping off curbs. I'm going to buy some thicker weight fluid and see if it gives me the stock damping feel but with stiffer springs. Does anyone have a suggestion on whether I should use 50wt or 60wt? I was going to try 60wt.

Another thing that surprised me was how much damping the shocks feel like they have when you just have them in your hand with the 40wt. I definitely didn't think they would need more based on how they felt in my hand, but after driving it around with 40wt and preloaded purple springs...it's pretty obvious they need some thicker silicone.

Traxxas Marshal
    Adjusting the shock springs and oil at the same time is generally the best way to do it. I would personally grab a bottle of both weights and see which works best for you and where/how you drive. It never hurts to have more than one oil weight so you can play around with the shock tuning.
    "Happiness depends upon ourselves." -Aristotle

RC Racer
    Get the 60, and if it is too thick, could always mix a little of the 40 back into it.
    Another cool option which i really like, is the variable damping kit. Not sure id there is a kit for the mini summit, but one can be made. It basically makes the compression stroke have more dampening then the rebound. Its not for everyone though, and shock tuning can turn into a long process. Be patient and adjust one thing at a time, and test it.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

RC poster
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve g View Post
    Get the 60, and if it is too thick, could always mix a little of the 40 back into it.
    That's a good idea! I don't know why I didn't think of that.

Variable damping would be rad, but I seriously doubt they make a kit for the small GTR shocks. I'll have to take a look for a kit!