RC poster

Convince me to try traxxas again?

Iíve been out of the hobby for awhile, I was racing and bashing before, looking to start up again just bashing and messing around at a local 1/8th scale track. Iíve had a couple slashes in the past, upgraded them heavily, but at the end of the day, they were still just a slash. Iíve built, raced and bashed a couple tekno kits and everything is perfect about them, the handling, tuning abilities, literally bulletproof because I havenít been able to break a part on one etc. Iím considering the UDR because the scale driving experience itís supposed to offer, the 4link solid axle suspension, center mount arms, bypasses etc. Iím an off-road guy and in the process of starting a long travel build on my 1:1 truck, so this udr has brought my attention back to traxxas.

How is this thing? Is it sloppy like other traxxas vehicles Iíve experienced, is it durable, handle good, am I going to have to upgrade parts right off the back??? Let me know! If I pick this up, I will be swapping a tekin combo in it right away, as well as upgrading the servo.

RC Racer
    The servo is a must, swap that before you even drive it. The front swaybar link always breaks I got sick of replacing it and just left it off and canít tell any difference in how it handles. The rear links bend easy but itís an cheap upgrade. Some have had trailing arms break but mine never did. Like anything else there are always weak points. If you drive it scale it holds up great. You start bashing it and you will constantly be replacing parts. Iv had 2 since they came out and there werenít a lot of upgrades out for it yet. Iím thinking of buying another one now that aftermarket has jumped on board and pro line makes tires and a replacement body for it. I would suggest keeping it on 4s since itís plenty fast enough and less wear and tear on gears and bearings. Overall itís a blast to drive handles great as a tt but on a track not so great.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Check out Kevin Talbot on youtube. He has one and beats it to death. He breaks it, frequently, but with what he does with it, I'm surprised he hasn't done worse to it. Should let you see the kind of abuse it can take. I think mostly what he upgraded was the esc, maybe servo and a few other bits, not I don't think a lot. He tends to stick close to stock if he can and upgrade when he has to.
    https://www.youtube.com/c/olds97lss

RC Qualifier
    If you want scale performance, the UDR is your ticket. Reliability is on point. I've ran 20-30 battery packs through mine with zero broken parts. I'm even still running the stock steering servo.

I run mine on 4S, and rarely ever hit full throttle, which might explain my lack of broken parts. I actually slow down for turns that I can't drift through, and don't send massive jumps to flat...you know, sort of like a real trophy truck driver whose driving a million dollar truck that he doesn't own.

If driven like a real trophy truck, the UDR is solid for both performance and reliability. If driven like an X-Maxx, well...see the aforementioned videos.

RC poster
    So basically it’s not a hardcore basher and maybe has some capability on a track just for fun. Sounds like it’s a cool rig to lightly bash around and experience realistic handling. If I get one I’d keep it on 4s, either the tekin t8 gen3 1700 or 1900kv paired with the rx8 gen3 I feel would be a nice combo. Thanks for the info though, I’ll definitely look more into upgrades etc.

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by Mecca1 View Post
    So basically itís not a hardcore basher and maybe has some capability on a track just for fun. Sounds like itís a cool rig to lightly bash around and experience realistic handling. If I get one Iíd keep it on 4s, either the tekin t8 gen3 1700 or 1900kv paired with the rx8 gen3 I feel would be a nice combo. Thanks for the info though, Iíll definitely look more into upgrades etc.
    Run it the way it comes......see how you like it. It has plenty of potential.....I've had mine for 2 years and have loved every minute of it!👍

RC poster
    I love mine to death and honestly I find it just as fun to stare at and tinker with as drive. It's definitely a scale truck and should be driven as such...which is part of the fun IMHO. If you were to send a real trophy truck off something stupid huge at full throttle it would snap in half....surprisingly this truck will do much better, but temper your expectations. Keep the driving realistic and it will serve you well. I've smashed mine quite a bit making full throttle mistakes and it always came out fine...haven't even broken anything yet aside from a small crack in the body. I keep it on 4s as it's more scale power and throttle response as well as makes things last longer. Most of the horror stories you hear come from 6s basher guys. If you imagine you're driving a real $600,000 trophy truck and don't want to destroy it and loose the race...you'll be fine and have a blast.

RC Champion
    So basically itís not a hardcore basher and maybe has some capability on a track just for fun. Sounds like itís a cool rig to lightly bash around and experience realistic handling. If I get one Iíd keep it on 4s, either the tekin t8 gen3 1700 or 1900kv paired with the rx8 gen3 I feel would be a nice combo. Thanks for the info though, Iíll definitely look more into upgrades etc.
    If you want hardcore basher, check out the Maxx. It may take the best beating of all the stock traxxas trucks. Kevinís channel seems to bear that out too.

RC poster
    Quote Originally Posted by FlyingDutchman View Post
    Run it the way it comes......see how you like it. It has plenty of potential.....I've had mine for 2 years and have loved every minute of it!👍
    If anything Iíd at least upgrade the servo before running it just to be safe

RC poster
    Quote Originally Posted by b-mack View Post
    I love mine to death and honestly I find it just as fun to stare at and tinker with as drive. It's definitely a scale truck and should be driven as such...which is part of the fun IMHO. If you were to send a real trophy truck off something stupid huge at full throttle it would snap in half....surprisingly this truck will do much better, but temper your expectations. Keep the driving realistic and it will serve you well. I've smashed mine quite a bit making full throttle mistakes and it always came out fine...haven't even broken anything yet aside from a small crack in the body. I keep it on 4s as it's more scale power and throttle response as well as makes things last longer. Most of the horror stories you hear come from 6s basher guys. If you imagine you're driving a real $600,000 trophy truck and don't want to destroy it and loose the race...you'll be fine and have a blast.
    Yea that’s understandable, I don’t plan on bashing it hard but as long as I’m not having to baby it it’ll work

RC poster
    Quote Originally Posted by Jws1982 View Post
    If you want hardcore basher, check out the Maxx. It may take the best beating of all the stock traxxas trucks. Kevinís channel seems to bear that out too.

If Iím going to do any hardcore bashing Iím building another tekno et48 truggy. That thing along with the sct I built from them are indestructible out of the box.

RC Racer
    If anything Iíd at least upgrade the servo before running it just to be safe
    That's the first thing I did....lol....dropped a savox servo into it.

RC Qualifier
    If Iím going to do any hardcore bashing Iím building another tekno et48 truggy. That thing along with the sct I built from them are indestructible out of the box.
    I have built a few et48.3 in various configurations including one that is on an m2c gam changer chassis that is built to the T. They are really bash friendly.

That being said, I am sure traxxas can make some insanely bombproof RTR cars if they can charge what people pay to put a Tekno together. I get a shiver thinking how much a Tekno trophy truck would cost to build if they ever make one and sell the kit for say 600. A standard build for a kit says 600 plus 250 for a castle combo, 90 for a servo, 80 dollars for wheels/tires, 40 for a receiver, and you are now north of a grand, mind you thatís assuming they can sell a trophy kit for under 600.

RC poster
    Quote Originally Posted by TwoBelugas View Post
    I have built a few et48.3 in various configurations including one that is on an m2c gam changer chassis that is built to the T. They are really bash friendly.

That being said, I am sure traxxas can make some insanely bombproof RTR cars if they can charge what people pay to put a Tekno together. I get a shiver thinking how much a Tekno trophy truck would cost to build if they ever make one and sell the kit for say 600. A standard build for a kit says 600 plus 250 for a castle combo, 90 for a servo, 80 dollars for wheels/tires, 40 for a receiver, and you are now north of a grand, mind you thatís assuming they can sell a trophy kit for under 600.
    Yea they are definitely pricey, but I donít mind dropping the cash for their kits. I mean I built a slash up and it wasnít to far off from being 1k, but it was still a slash and handled like one etc. Tekno is focused on competition with the mt410 being the only marketed basher, although they all can handle bashing. I hope someday they do release a something like 1/5th scale truck or trophy truck because Iíd be all over it haha anyway, Iím going to check out a UDR in person today and see whatís up so weíll see what happens. I also was eyeing the Losi SBR but itís discontinued. Any input on the suspension on the udr? Is it pretty solid or is there any solid upgrades to the shocks?

RC Qualifier
    The arms (trailing and A arms) can be upgraded to aluminum via various companies. The upper shock mounts don't have any upgrades available that I know of.

The suspension is pretty dialed out of the box, as far as spring rates and damping. I added pre-load to mine, but that's because I like to drive it on pretty rough terrain.

The only suspension upgrade I'd recommend out of the box is some firmer sway bars. The stock ones don't really do anything. I installed the Hot Racing sway bars and they really work well.

At the track I drive at there is a bermed right turn which spits you into an off-camber left turn. With the Hot Racing sway bar installed the truck handles it great. Without it, I'm on my roof 1/2 of the time through that turn.

RC poster
    Quote Originally Posted by Fallen View Post
    The arms (trailing and A arms) can be upgraded to aluminum via various companies. The upper shock mounts don't have any upgrades available that I know of.

The suspension is pretty dialed out of the box, as far as spring rates and damping. I added pre-load to mine, but that's because I like to drive it on pretty rough terrain.

The only suspension upgrade I'd recommend out of the box is some firmer sway bars. The stock ones don't really do anything. I installed the Hot Racing sway bars and they really work well.

At the track I drive at there is a bermed right turn which spits you into an off-camber left turn. With the Hot Racing sway bar installed the truck handles it great. Without it, I'm on my roof 1/2 of the time through that turn.
    Nice, yea I think if I buy one, the first things I’m doing is a servo, lower/upper links and sway bars.