RC Racer

Has the gearing changed at some point?

Mine started life as a brushed version and over time I've upgraded it, a lot.

Mine came with a 70t spur and small pinion, the enclosed speed pinion was a 23t i believe, bigger than stock. It didn't come with a smaller spur, only a bigger pinion.

To get the most out of the car i ordered a 55t spur thinking it would increase the top end but found out that the motor won't reach the spur without a bigger pinion, it's then it dawned on me and i ordered a 35t as per the vxl pdf.

So are the gears different in the vxl and brushed? Did they change at some point? Do you think i will gain much from 55/35 compared with 70/23?

Thanks fellas

Sent from my POT-LX1 using Tapatalk

RC Racer
    The stock VXL setup is 29 t pinion with a 70 t spur.

Going to 35/55 is a serious increase.
    I probably can be done with the right motor and esc.

I run my VXL with a 29/62 gearing. Keep an eye on your temps when you gear up.

RC Enthusiast
    My brushed came with 25/70, I don't think they ever revised the gearing. The 35/55 is speed run only according to the PDF.

I bought two of those aluminum 5pc gear sets for cheap, it has every gear from 26-35, and the two other spurs from Traxxas.

I'm running 27/62 brushless.

RC Racer
    Thanks guys, that helped enormously. I'm looking forward to seeing what she can do, i only run circuits on smooth tarmac on foams and I've got a 120a esc on the way with a 3800kv motor, should haul on 3s

Mine started life as a brushed model...the previous owner installed the VXL brushless setup and foams. I installed the 35/55 gears. Thing flat out flies on 3s! I only do short bursts and watch temps closely...but it flies!
    Slash 4x4 Ult 2150kv
    Rustler vxl
    Ford GT vxl

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by Dcuda69 View Post
    Mine started life as a brushed model...the previous owner installed the VXL brushless setup and foams. I installed the 35/55 gears. Thing flat out flies on 3s! I only do short bursts and watch temps closely...but it flies!
    Thanks dude, it sounds like we started off the same, I'm hoping my new esc arrives in the next day or so, i am busting to run it again, i have had some new parts arrive in the meantime, gpm braces, annoyingly they were out of blue so i had to go silver.