Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    RC Racer

New to RC, what to buy?

Hey guys. I'm looking to get into RC and after bouncing around between models (I think) I settled on the e-revo vxl. I wanted to be able to fly around in the woods, the front yards, drive over some obstacles like logs and jump off drop offs. Will this do that? I'm not wanting to rock climb, but some obstacles would be fun. I want something I can bring with me to entertain. Can you raise the vehicle up a bit suspension wise? How's it on the road?

So two questions. Besides a charger and batteries are there any NEEDED extras such as upgraded parts and such I should buy?

Also, I want to buy the completer pack with the charger and two batteries. 2s and 3s with ID are the same price, which is more worth while? I originally wanted to get a summit or trx-4 if that gives you an idea of where I was going with this...

I think a Summit would be a very solid choice for what you are describing. Since this is your first RC, the Summit platform is very forgivable with crashes, it will give you the ability to go over obstacles in the woods, and jump without any issues such bottoming out the RC.
    Summit is also a durable RC with lots of room to upgrade and tweak. They are very simple to work on in my experience.

There is a trade off tho with the Summit, and that’s speed. But the fact that you can lock your differentials FROM YOUR TRANSMITTER and go over obstacles easier , that’s enough for me to know this RC is a trail king. Also the summit speed can be changed with a few tweaks but I think it’s enough just the way it is. This is not a speed run RC

Eventually the RC bug will take over more and you will be looking at optional upgrades or even better yet, how to turn your summit into an Erevo. By then you will be more experienced and you will love your Summit to Erevo conversion and vice versa. Buying parts and working on your RC is also part of the hobby and a very rewarding at that. You’d end up with the best of both worlds.

I have both RC’s , the Erevo 1.0 and the Summit. I have extra parts for both and run them equally. I have never broken a part on the Summit, never. But in the Erevo, I snapped the CVD steel driveshafts, the motor mount keeps moving out of place (new part ordered, it was stripped) and the pinion and gear stripped twice due to a bad landing. All these issues with the Erevo don’t happen to everyone, and there are a lot of factors that could influence parts broken, such as driving style (not everyone can drive the RCs right away , a lot of people require more practice, like a video game), Crashing at a high rate of speed, and no Throttle Control... these are the main factors that will destroy your RC if not careful.

But I feel like you are in the right track.

Hope that helped. Good luck
    Summit.Erevo 1.0.Slash 4x4.Stampede 4x4

RC Racer
    So besides for height, are there any differences besides price with the e-revo? I did like the locking differential and 2 speed transmission but on another RC forum was steered away from the summit as they stated it was a Jack of no trades basically. I doing mind spending the money but want something I can cut my teeth on that won't leave me wanting more my first week in. The e-revo and summit interest me. I would like the speed if I want to RIP down the road but want to just tear up grass and take corners. Launch of grass hills and such. I can't afford two, I have funds for one (for a while) lol.

I'll preface this with I've never driven a summit or recently seen one in action.

If want to do more trail running. Going for hikes with it in the woods. A summit may be best for you. I don't know what top speed is out of box.

If want to rip up grass and gravel and lots of jumping. Taking to a track. The erevo may be best for you. ( I know the 2.0 well, along with Merv and xmaxx)

I jump the crap out of mine, and go for big air. Broken lots of parts. But anything crashing at 50mph will tend to break things.

I'm sure the summit will jump just fine and so on. Will it clear 40ft gaps probably not unless regeared and or upgraded motor.

You can raise the ride height in the eRevo some. But not much. As there are different holes in the a-arm for this. It's probably 1/2 in. Over stock setup.

Always go best batteries you can get for the a car. So Go 3s batteries. Higher mha rating and higher C rating is best. (Mha will be how long it will run, C rating how fast and punchy it will be).

Smc-racing has some of the best batteries IMHO. Getting a charger that is 155+watts , 14+amp a channel is ideal. http://www.smc-racing.com/Traxxas%20Battery%20Guide. 2 sets of batteries a car is always good. Charge one while playing with another.

Check your local used listings. May be able to get one cheaper. I found a rarly used xmaxx in almost new condition for 1/3 off list price. Can't go wrong with a xmaxx if you can budget it..

Erevo does take a bit more to work on as more screws / parts to take off to get to things as it's a compact chassis.

Rear chassis brace, and a single metal gear servo over 300oz tourqe, and metal geared servo saver spring are the main parts needed for the erevo. Perhaps fiber tape and shoegoo (e6000) the body to keep from ripping. Plugging the air holes in the rims of the tires and perhaps making holes on outside of tire. ( Keeps dirt and water out of tires, makes them last longer)

Any car you get you will have fun with it. Each car its own pros and cons for what terrain style it's best for.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by Acidic01 View Post
    I'll preface this with I've never driven a summit or recently seen one in action.

If want to do more trail running. Going for hikes with it in the woods. A summit may be best for you. I don't know what top speed is out of box.

If want to rip up grass and gravel and lots of jumping. Taking to a track. The erevo may be best for you. ( I know the 2.0 well, along with Merv and xmaxx)

I jump the crap out of mine, and go for big air. Broken lots of parts. But anything crashing at 50mph will tend to break things.

I'm sure the summit will jump just fine and so on. Will it clear 40ft gaps probably not unless regeared and or upgraded motor.

You can raise the ride height in the eRevo some. But not much. As there are different holes in the a-arm for this. It's probably 1/2 in. Over stock setup.

Always go best batteries you can get for the a car. So Go 3s batteries. Higher mha rating and higher C rating is best. (Mha will be how long it will run, C rating how fast and punchy it will be).

Smc-racing has some of the best batteries IMHO. Getting a charger that is 155+watts , 14+amp a channel is ideal. http://www.smc-racing.com/Traxxas%20Battery%20Guide. 2 sets of batteries a car is always good. Charge one while playing with another.

Check your local used listings. May be able to get one cheaper. I found a rarly used xmaxx in almost new condition for 1/3 off list price. Can't go wrong with a xmaxx if you can budget it..

Erevo does take a bit more to work on as more screws / parts to take off to get to things as it's a compact chassis.

Rear chassis brace, and a single metal gear servo over 300oz tourqe, and metal geared servo saver spring are the main parts needed for the erevo. Perhaps fiber tape and shoegoo (e6000) the body to keep from ripping. Plugging the air holes in the rims of the tires and perhaps making holes on outside of tire. ( Keeps dirt and water out of tires, makes them last longer)

Any car you get you will have fun with it. Each car its own pros and cons for what terrain style it's best for.

I don't know of any tracks around here but I don't really think that'll be my thing for a while. Is the revo more just top speed on flat surfaces? I want to jump it but not skate park type stuff, more like rocks and logs. I'd like to be able to climb obstacles, to a degree. Nothing "rock crawler" like but roots, drops, rocks, puddles, snow, e.t.c. I don't mind spending the money but I don't want to have the "I wish I got..." my first few months lol. Like all my other hobbies I'm sure I'll be right in. Like I said, the other forum basically told me the summit is just a huge version of what we played with as kids.

The Revo is good for jumping, grass, gravel, road. And going fast.

It will be hard to go slow and do crawler kind of things. May be able to put in the Bluetooth link module. And custom set training mode power output. Custom set throttle %. So that it goes slower over things and to your wanted drive style. I've never tried crawling the erevo. Taken it on trails a little bit but it's more just zooming up the trail and back as I walk.

the differentials are set up so they are limited slip. So the tire with the less traction gets all the power. So this is not good for crawling over things. I can see it getting stuck a bunch

Where as the summit or trx4 has option to lock the diffs so it can crawl over things.

Granted you could make the erevo have more of a locked diff by putting 1mil or 20mil weight oil in it. But may introduce issues and breaking things in the diff if doing full speed stuff and turning ect. As tires need to be able to turn at different speeds in a corner. And a locked diff won't allow this.

A lot of local hobby stores can let you drive the display models. Some dont.. And or see if you have a local track ir club and check it out and talk with ppl there. I'm sure the guys there would like you test drive their cars some so you got a feel for things.

Any car that is good on crawling will not be fast. Any car good at being fast,. Won't be good for crawling...

RC Racer
    Ok so, I guess I'm back to the summit lol. Can you post here where you get good deals on this stuff? Also, if there are any NEEDED upgrades to the summit, what are they? And brushless... I'd kinda like to convert it to brushless. Is that difficult and expensive for a nice brushless motor?

RC Racer
    Also, I see that it's not advised to run lipo batteries in these vehicles? I read that in the faq...

RC Qualifier
    If youíre new to R/Cís the ERevo is not a great choice. Get the Maxx. More forgiving, less complex, easier to work on. Just my $0.02
    Maybe ask in the TRAXXAS lounge to get some more unbiased opinions.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RC Racer
    Can the maxx do what the summit does? I don't think it has locking diff & 2 gear trans? Would it otherwise be the same? I see it's brushless which is a plus.

Only the trx4 and summit have locking diffs. Those are the two Traxxas cars that are made for crawling. Everything else is made for racing or bashing.

Both are brushed. You could put brushless in but then you could have cogging at low speeds. Sensored motor can get past this but then no longer water proof. Then other items needed to beef up drive train as brushless is more powerful. Go to the summit or trx4 fourms and ask there. Also Google up your questions and or use fourms search function.

For used cars. Craigslist, Facebook marketplace, OfferUp, letgo, ebay. Whatever selling apps are out there now.

RC poster
    go for the Maxx you will not be disappointed!! Get the wide kit a must and thats it. Stay with stock parts if you do break something cheap and easy fixes speed and durability is what you will get and you will not be disappointed

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by Blazzzer93 View Post
    go for the Maxx you will not be disappointed!! Get the wide kit a must and thats it. Stay with stock parts if you do break something cheap and easy fixes speed and durability is what you will get and you will not be disappointed
    But... can it climb some rocks? Curbs? If I run straight at a rock or tall root, will it jump it or hit it head on? The summit I see has the height/ suspension advantage but the maxx has the speed and handling.

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by Live2Fish88 View Post
    But... can it climb some rocks? Curbs? If I run straight at a rock or tall root, will it jump it or hit it head on? The summit I see has the height/ suspension advantage but the maxx has the speed and handling.
    Well, that depends on the size of the curbs and/or rocks.

RC Racer
    What are the big differences between the summit and maxx as far as trail obstacles and such? Suspension? Do a locking differential and two speed transmission make a HUGE difference?

How much does the maxx vary from the revo vxl?

RC Racer
    I've got an e-revo 2.0. When I was shopping, I also considered the summit. My 2 cents... The e Revo is a speed demon. The power train is beefy, the wheels are chunky, and the center of mass is pretty low. The summit doesn't have brushless power, but it has more ground clearance. So it's a crawler. You can put in a sensored brushless system in the summit, but that's more money. Sometimes I wish I had the summit because my plan is to turn the revo into a mobile quadcopter landing platform, but that's just me.

Sent from my SM-G950U1 using Tapatalk

RC Qualifier
    Problem is youíre comparing completely different rcís. Wanna go fast, jump, have fun and plow over things? Revo or Maxx. Wanna do nothing crazy and mostly slowly climb over things? Summit or TRX. Want to be able to easily maintain it? Maxx. Anything that has locking diffs, 2speed transmissions and what not is more complex and harder to work on. Erevo just like the Summit has more complex suspension set up as well.

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by dronenewbie View Post
    Problem is youíre comparing completely different rcís. Wanna go fast, jump, have fun and plow over things? Revo or Maxx. Wanna do nothing crazy and mostly slowly climb over things? Summit or TRX. Want to be able to easily maintain it? Maxx. Anything that has locking diffs, 2speed transmissions and what not is more complex and harder to work on. Erevo just like the Summit has more complex suspension set up as well.

My main concern is what can I go over that won't destroy the rc? I do want to go quick though. If it'll drive over fallen branches or big but short rocks at low speed I'd rather go with something that I can go faster with if I want. 25 seems fast enough for woods but 60+ sounds awesome

RC Racer
    Is brushed old technology in RC? I know it is in tools. If I buy into a summit, what are the odds they come out with brushless? Is there a reason they haven't switched?

http://www.rccarstars.com/rc-mainten...rawlingscaling

RC Racer
    Summit has been out for quite a while, but I think it just doesn't have the same sales volume as some other models. So it probably hasn't made sense for Traxxas to devote the resources to making a brushless summit. The other issue is that at super low rpms (like you might want with crawling over difficult terrain), brushless motors tend to cog. This can be mitigated with a sensored brushless motor, but Traxxas doesn't seem to usually go for sensored systems.

RC Qualifier
    My main concern is what can I go over that won't destroy the rc? I do want to go quick though. If it'll drive over fallen branches or big but short rocks at low speed I'd rather go with something that I can go faster with if I want. 25 seems fast enough for woods but 60+ sounds awesome
    I have ďnormalĒ suspension set up on my Revo, meaning set up ďcushyĒ no super thick oil or crazy stiff springs. I donít do big jumps, suspension acts like on the Ultimate Desert Racer at high speed, body stays stable while the wheels follow the contours of the terrain. I can go fairly fast through rock gardens with rocks the size of fists. Branches and curbs are no problem either. I assume a MAXX with soft suspension set up would be the same. You want to navigate slowly over obstacles and climb steep slopes? Then get a crawler.

RC Racer
    Ok. What batteries does the e-revo run best on? Would I be best to buy the "completer" kit from traxxas with the dual 3s and charger?

Ok. What batteries does the e-revo run best on? Would I be best to buy the "completer" kit from traxxas with the dual 3s and charger?
    Link the product of completer set your looking at so we can see specs.

Batteries, chargers is a whole other topic.

RC Racer
    Who sells traxxas e-revo trucks that's reputable and decent pricing that this forum supports?

Your local hobby shop!

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by Acidic01 View Post
    Your local hobby shop!

^^ 100%

RC Qualifier
    ^^ thatís what I use. Canít go wrong with that!

Yep always support your LHS first. We lost both of ours due to being beat out to online folks...now I don't have one at all...really stinks.

RC Racer
    There is something magical about walking out of the store with a giant box of awesome.

Quote Originally Posted by RICK DIZZLE View Post
    Yep always support your LHS first. We lost both of ours due to being beat out to online folks...now I don't have one at all...really stinks.
    I do a bunch of shopping online for personal reasons. But I like to shop at my local Traxxas hobby shop for parts or vehicles when I can. They actually sell their parts cheaper than what you can find online.

Plus it's nice to have a local shop with that part you just broke and it gets you back up and running the same day.

Quote Originally Posted by omen View Post
    There is something magical about walking out of the store with a giant box of awesome.
    Puts a smile on me each time.

RC Racer
    Are there "better"battery packs than the traxxas? And a charger?

RC Racer
    I haven't tried Traxxas batteries, but I can say that I have had far better success with SMC than Lectron Pro.

Are there "better"battery packs than the traxxas? And a charger?
    Issue with charger you listed is it's. 4amp max per channel at 50watt.
    If doing the erevo and 5000mha and charging at 2c will wants 10amp @111watt a channel.

If wanting to stay with trx then this charger is much better.
    https://www.amainhobbies.com/traxxas...ra2973/p770611

Wish trx website listed specs....

And it can do 4s as well if you ever get a car that takes 4s.

Other options

Both if hooked to a 24v DC power supply can get you even faster charging than from AC.

http://www.smc-racing.com/index.php?...product_id=562

http://www.smc-racing.com/index.php?...product_id=541

Batteries. Smc is well regarded and have good specs
    http://www.smc-racing.com/Traxxas%20Battery%20Guide

I like to get highest mha and highest cell for my car.

Get gen1 trx connector.

Other chargers
    https://www.progressiverc.com/charge...lipo-chargers/

Most here will also require a DC / DC power supply (another 150 to 200$). Or can make your own with server power supplies and hacking them. (30 to 40$ must have some electrical knowedge and soldering tools and be able to do your research on what models to get.)

I personally have icharger 406dou, and made my own DC power supply for from 2x 750watt 62am hp psu's and make my known carry case for feild charging.

Last edited by Acidic01; 06-16-2020 at 06:42 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by omen View Post
    I haven't tried Traxxas batteries, but I can say that I have had far better success with SMC than Lectron Pro.

Same here. SMC way better than lectron pro. And was cheaper. In my case. After 1year my 3 of 4 lectrons went into the garbage due to puffing and or broken connections on Ballance ports.

RC Racer
    What are the odds they come out with an updated e-revo this year? Do they consistently update every year or two?

What are the odds they come out with an updated e-revo this year? Do they consistently update every year or two?
    The erevo vxl is the 2.0 major overhaul in design I. 2018. they did a minor update with the 8619 beefier rod ends, which should solve the issue of rod ends pulling out in the rear. and I think body savers stock in last month or so... I don't see them making any major changes. Any time soon. Same for any other trx car.

RC poster
    Hello,
    I 've had my first Traxxas, a Revo 3.3, since 2006. I was a gas RC enthusiast. Before this one, a Mugen MBX. Still have both.
    Completely diferent, but excelllent cars. With the REVO, i became a Traxxas fan.
    last one, a TRX4 Def Camel edition.
    All traxxas are very weel built. Like them all.

RC Racer
    I can't find the e-revo available anywhere. I'd buy online if I could find it!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast