RC Racer

Looking to buy maxx

After much back and forth between summit, e-revo, e.t.c I'm fairly certain I want a maxx. I have a few questions though. Firstly, who is a reputable traxxas online retailer with fair prices? Secondly, what battery and charger are recommended? The completer package from traxxas or another brand? What breaks on these vehicles and what parts should I swap out before they inevitably break (common stuff, not case by case) or worthwhile upgrades to look into? Mods?

RC Champion
    Purchase directly from Traxxas, Amain hobbies - etc
    At least a 50C 5000mah lipo with traxxas plug -
    be plenty on eBay + chargers
    5 in 1 battery balancer / checker
    Steel axles will be needed
    fabricator

RC poster
    You can try your local hobby shop too.

Widemaxx kit and steel driveshafts are a must have. Other than that it's a beast! Great truck, you won't be disappointed.

The traxxas batteries are overpriced. Lots of other options out there, just pay attention to the dimensions.

RC Competitor
    Wide maxx kit and steel drive shafts are only mandatory is you don’t like how the monster truck drives and want more of a erevo style truck. Mine is running stock arms and plastic shafts on 4s power have only broke one axle yet and it was under 20$ to replace and I beat the **** out of my truck. I do believe if you go wide the plastic axles are weaker and the steel is the way to go but that’s another 300$ in the truck for the axles and arms that could buy you 3 battery’s and give you hours of run time. My 2 cents

RC poster
    update... so I've got a Maxx and my friend has one too. My friend and I both got the wide kit right away. I bought the steel drive shafts before even running once, he stuck with the plastic ones. He's broken a plastic driveshaft every other run, he's going through five. Now he's finally upgrading to Steel drive shafts. I'm almost certain it's because we are running wide kits as Bashednotbeat described above. Each of his drive shafts have super twisted splines before they break.

Sounds like the moral of the story is, IF you go with the wide kit you have to upgrade to Steel drive shaft.

RC poster
    Hey guys, I’m awaiting my Maxx as well and it’s on the way. Aside from your two suggestions steel driveshaft and WideMaxx kit, is there anything else to be aware of for future upgrades? Gonna run it for a while “stock” and enjoy it. I did a lot of research between Arrma and Traxxas and went with what I originally looked at.... any tips welcomed��
    Last edited by ezeekial; 08-21-2020 at 05:35 PM.

RC Competitor
    I think the Wide kit and steel axles aren't necessary, but I think steering expo is! Therefore, the upgrade is a computer radio. (Assuming you can go without self-righting and TSM)
    -Jeremy
    TRX-4|BL Summit|St4mpede|Aton|Maxx|Slash

Quote Originally Posted by Smaug View Post
    I think the Wide kit and steel axles aren't necessary, but I think steering expo is! Therefore, the upgrade is a computer radio. (Assuming you can go without self-righting and TSM)
    Have you tried the steering expo on the Traxxas TQi radios? No need for a different radio to get that feature.

RC Competitor
    Quote Originally Posted by grizzly03 View Post
    Have you tried the steering expo on the Traxxas TQi radios? No need for a different radio to get that feature.
    How is it done? Buy the Bluetooth module, or is there a reasonable way to do it through the LED and Multi-Function Dial?

If so, I'll try it too!
    -Jeremy

Here is how you can do it without a bluetooth module:

Oops! Circled wrong one in previous post.
    Last edited by Double G; 08-27-2020 at 12:44 PM. Reason: merge

RC Competitor
    Thanks for taking the time to illustrate that for me. I'm going to try it. If I can get expo going properly, I'll probably just leave the radio system as-is.
    Quote Originally Posted by grizzly03 View Post
    Here is how you can do it without a bluetooth module:
    -Jeremy

No problem. Figured at least give it a try before investing in a new radio.

RC Competitor
    Looking again at that instruction, I'm reminded what a good job Traxxas does with their documentation: nice illustrations, plain English text, but not at too low of a level. It lets the reader know that a certain minimum level of technical understanding is required to work on these vehicles, but also gives enough detail to git 'er done.
    -Jeremy

RC poster
    My son and I both have maxx on 4s. I snapped 2 of my driveshafts about 2-3weeks after having it. Broke a front and a rear self righting it. I dont use that anymore.
    I just replaced mine with steel shafts with 17mm conversion and I'm very happy. I've shredded a couple tires now running it on the sharp rocks down by the river.
    My son is still running stock shafts and we beat the out of them. Soon as his go bad I'll get the steel ones for his too. Now I'm just looking for good tires that dont cost $100+. We have a couple stampedes too and spent $120 on each one for tires.

*Traxxas has a strict language policy, please do not use such language in the future. Thank you.
    Last edited by Double G; 09-12-2020 at 09:08 AM.

RC Racer
    Oh, I don't know if I updated but I bought an e-revo 2.0. I've also replaced the drive shaft after shearing mine. Replaced spur gear after stripping that. Replaced both servo with single servo after gears stripped. One tire tore so far. Added rear brace. Added Bluetooth module. I think that's it

RC Competitor
    It blows my mind to see all the damage people do to their trucks. Must be really choppy on the throttle control.

I programmed in some steering sensitivity (expo) and programmed out some of the throttle sensitivity. (punch) I'm also very smooth with my inputs, like a fellow would be with braking on a motorcycle: it's OK to brake hard, but not slam full hard instantly. Smoothly go up to full throttle, even if it is quickly and smoothly.
    -Jeremy

RC Competitor
    Quote Originally Posted by Live2Fish88 View Post
    Oh, I don't know if I updated but I bought an e-revo 2.0. I've also replaced the drive shaft after shearing mine. Replaced spur gear after stripping that. Replaced both servo with single servo after gears stripped. One tire tore so far. Added rear brace. Added Bluetooth module. I think that's it
    I'm thinking about adding an E-Revo 2 also. I had a 1 and even on 4S, I found the diffs to be an issue. I liked it a lot better, once I replace the car body with a vintage truck body and removed the wing. The 2 seems to have addressed the diff issue, and from what I've heard, it's pretty solid on 4S. Would you agree? (maybe with a bit more gentle throttle control...)
    -Jeremy