RC poster

6s maxx gearing suggestions ?

Just curious as to what gearing people are using that have done a 6s conversion on there maxx ? currently have a HW max 8 2200kv motor in with 24/50 gearing. Using 2 x3s LiPo batteries and after 10 mins of use the motor is super super hot. I have ordered an xmaxx fan to assist in cooling it but was curious as to what different gearing people have done or any suggestions ?
    Only use my rcs for bashing so never bothered to change gearing much
    Thanks in advance

RC Champion
    not much info on this
    Continue please
    Last edited by CrazyXMAXX; 06-16-2020 at 06:28 PM.
    fabricator

RC poster
    I have read on here that someone has a 24/46 gearing set up so I have ordered those and will see how it goes

Would I be correct in presuming that the lower the teeth on the gears the less strain on the motor ? As my main concern isn’t really the speed but trying to keep the motor cool so hoping a lower gear set up will put less strain on it.

Haven’t had the car long possibly a week tops and I never drove it with the original esc and motor so not too sure what it’s like standard But after some research I’ve found that the original motor was a 2600kv ? and the one I’ve put in is 2200kv. Would this make much of a difference ?

final question. Is there much use in using metal spur gears over plastic ones ?
    My thinking was that it would be better to keep the plastic one so it’s the main weak link on the drivetrain incase of a failure this would hopefully be there first to break and easiest to replace but I’ve seen many now with metal spurs so wondering if it really matters

Thank you

RC Champion
    24/46 will generate more heat then 24/50
    Maybe 20/50 will work without hitting TSD

2200kv - 2600kv about 10,00rpm difference
    Steel gear for durability
    Plastic for quite
    fabricator

RC poster
    Right guess I Shal have to order a 20t tomorrow aswell then give that a go. Shal leave the motor be for now then. thank you for the information and the reply much appreciated

RC poster
    Well I don't know how much information you have found out yet but to make your engine run cooler you go smaller on the pinion gear or larger on the spur gear.

RC poster
    Yeah I joined the maxx owners page on Facebook and found that a tonne of other people are also running the same hobbywing set up and are using 20/50 as suggested on here so I gave it a whirl and it’s been cooler ever since, no overheating now. Also slapped the xmaxx dual fan on top and it’s been fine. Last night however I added 3.8 proline big joe II tyres to it and now it’s starting to get a little warmer so just going to turn the power down a little. thanks for the info too wasn’t aware of that.