RC poster

Hot Racing or GPM?

I am looking to upgrade some parts on the UDR. I broke the front steering stabilizer bar. I drive in the sand 90% of the time and suspect it was a front end digger it took off a dune.

Does anyone like Hot Racing over GPM? Anyone better?

Thanks for the help!

I have tried a couple of Hot Racing products (Sealed diff for Slash, Tranny case for Slash, bellcranks for Slash), and they have been pretty good, very precise and snug fit. GPM kind of makes useless upgrades (like aluminum suspension arms and such). I have also heard that they have some quality issues. I have never tried GPM, so don't completely take my word for it.

RC poster
    Quote Originally Posted by RCWilly View Post
    I have tried a couple of Hot Racing products (Sealed diff for Slash, Tranny case for Slash, bellcranks for Slash), and they have been pretty good, very precise and snug fit. GPM kind of makes useless upgrades (like aluminum suspension arms and such). I have also heard that they have some quality issues. I have never tried GPM, so don't completely take my word for it.
    I went with Hot Racing, the local deal said about the same thing regarding GPM.

I went and upgraded the rear sway bar with hot racing as well.

Taking it to the dunes later today.

Thanks RCwilly.

RC poster
    I personally bought many upgrades from GPM for my Rigid UDR. They are great products they fit snug and look very nice. I have ran it with all the upgrades and had no issues, but I don't bash my truck til it breaks either. I'll try to upload some pics for you.

Iíll have to jump on the bandwagon and say gpm products are in the same quality bracket as integy. They have serious quality issues and canít be trusted. Iíve had great success with hot racing, materials are very precisely made and are of great quality. Go with hot racing or maybe strc, Iíve had great success with strc items as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by Rocketzx1 View Post
    Iíll have to jump on the bandwagon and say gpm products are in the same quality bracket as integy. They have serious quality issues and canít be trusted. Iíve had great success with hot racing, materials are very precisely made and are of great quality. Go with hot racing or maybe strc, Iíve had great success with strc items as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Hot racing seems to use better design and material than strc, I have had some strc stuff strip easily like their hub adapters thatís use soft metal and weirdly small hex sizes, whereas hot racing costs a little more for a comparably product but they hold up better and easier to work on.

RC poster
    If you don't mind the look of black on all parts then yeah hot racing is good. But I personally like to make my RC's stand out with some shine to them. I have yet to have an issue with GPM products. I'll post some photos later on today.

RC poster
    update: I have Hot racing Front and rear sway bars now. The truck corners better now, they helped with the body roll.

I blew out the steering assembly the other day and Hot Racing was out of stock, so i went with GPM. I had to use the factory screw set because GPM did not come with new ones. I ended up stripping one of them out on the install of the toe link and now I am waiting on ez-out small enough to get the screw out, it comes in tomorrow.

On top of that I was driving it with my son and we ended up blowing out the Ring and pinion in the rear end. After tearing it apart I found it was due to a blown wheel bearing on the back left, it broke the pin in the axel and then proceeded to blow up the ring and pinion.

So in the last two weeks the truck had driven for a total of 20min.

I am waiting on harder steel ring and pinion from GPM. They were the only ones that had any stock left. All shops with in a few hundred miles are sold out. I hope they will come this week.

Thanks for the feedback everyone.

RC Racer
    Here's my experience and opinion with both. I've had issues with GPM and Hot Racing front end parts.

1. Dog bones are sitting right at the brim of the drive cups on full droop and that's too close for comfort for me. 1 jump or if you give a bit of pull the dog bones will come out.

2. Upper and lower arm retaining pins that attaches them to the bulkhead has a bit of play. Stock ones did not and the pin GPM uses are thinner compared to stock.

3. Steering knuckles, you will lose a bit of camber and toe-in. Did not like the way the GPM front end handled. So much slop and play I was all over the place even with TSM 100%. And it would veer left right away on full throttle and upon release of the throttle. The knuckles did not hold the bearings well, they would have lateral movement even when everything is tight and installed correctly.

4. Also have the GPM hardened steel front drive shaft but decided to take it off because It was actually too stiff and has no play compared to the stock plastic ones. In the long run I can imagine the front and center differentials bearings wearing out faster or blowing up on high speed runs. I've pre-ordered metal traxxas front drive shaft for the UDR. It will be released early september this year and features a CV style shaft. Meaning it will have play so it will not stress out the bearings.

I then switched to Hot Racing for the front end with the exeption of the front drive shaft.... and also extremely disappointed. Basically same problems with the GPM but not as much slop and play with the addition of 1 thing, the front upper arm hits the tire and rim on full turn and you will have more turning radius because of that. Had my servo enpoints adjusted all the way to 65% on left and right just so it wont hit the inner wheel and tire.

So my front end is basically back to stock now with the exemption of the bellcrank assembly and toe links. Steering is way better on stock parts and will keep it that way. Wasted too much money on aluminum front ends which are not even factory specs.

RC poster
    I’ve noticed on my udr I broke the front and rear center driveshafts. On the rear I’m running a mip center driveshaft and it held up well so far... The only problem I have is the driveshaft gets so hot it melts the loctite and then the grub screw falls out any suggestions on that?And for the front center driveshaft it snaps in half under hard power. I’ve looked into the tra8556x but since it’s a Traxxas part idk if it will hold up. I also looked into the hot racing one but idk if it’s any good? Anyone who is familiar with these parts some input would be appreciated

RC Qualifier
    Hey man, I don't have any solutions for the front drive shaft, as I've never replaced mine.

For the rear, if you're not running your UDR in super hot weather, it shouldn't get hot enough to melt the Loc-Tite. Is it loud? I'm guessing it's due to be replaced.

When the driveshaft gets worn out it gets wobbly, and gets louder and runs hotter than a new driveshaft. A new one still heats up, but not hot enough to melt Loc-Tite in my experience. I usually run my truck in 80 degree sun.

The rear drive shaft seems to have about 30 packs of 5000mah batteries before it's too worn out to keep being used.

RC Competitor
    Hr…..........
    Slayer Pro, Slash VXL 4x4, Jato 3.3, Rustler 2.5

RC poster
    I have lots of gpm parts for my udr but a hot racing sway bar do not buy gpm driveshafts

RC Enthusiast
    I just installed the Hot Racing front and rear sway bars. I noticed that the front sway bar is so much stiffer/thicker than the stock one that the front suspension almost acts like a single axle. I guess that's the purpose of the sway bar, but did you notice a significant difference in handling?

RC Qualifier
    They make a noticeable difference in off-road handling over the stock sway bars.

It's not such a big difference that your UDR will be a good on-road car now, but off-road they really help.

I have sections of track that with the stock sway bar I'd consistently end up on my roof with, that with the HR sway bars installed I can always make it through cleanly.