RC poster

Angry Maxx Programming Error - Car won't work!!!

Let me give you some back ground on my Traxxas. Had my Maxx for about a month or so now. Little bashing, lots of street driving. Had a lot of issues with the drive shafts snapping and finally upgraded to steel drive shafts and all the aluminum accessories. Bought everything off Traxxas website. BRAND NEW customer to Traxxas in May this year. Bought car, battery, charger, wide maxx kit, steel drive shaft, toe links, wheel hubs, caster blocks, carriers..you name it, everything aluminum and upgraded. I've spent well over $1,000-$1,200 right from their site. Yesterday, I was out driving the Maxx and all of the sudden it came to a sudden stop and turned off. I unplugged the battery and plugged it back in and the lights within the car were all blinking red so I thought maybe it got hot...but how? After only a few minutes. granted it was 82 degrees outside, but come on. So I let everything cool, fully charged the battery this morning and fired it back up and same thing. All of the lights in the car flash red really fast. Now this says it's a "programming error" in the manual and Traxxas support sent me trouble shooting steps today that don't work. They wanted me to try and calibrate speed control. Nope, didn't work. I get steering but no throttle reverse or forward when the truck is on. The support rep said i'd need to send them my VXL-4s speed control and motor for inspection or repair and replacement. They can't send me the new parts..I NEED to send it to THEM. This gets even better. Apparently even under warranty, they would charge $60 for speed control, $55 for the motor, AND...I would need to pay shipping. Unreal. I watched some youtube videos on some guys that had this issue years back and Traxxas didn't even reply and the posters didn't put an update or fix. My guess...The motor and speed control are fried and Traxxas is going to try and make me pay to have them fixed. I should not have to go through the trouble of shipping them anything. they should send me the new parts and be done with it. I'm rethinking whether or not I should have went with ARRMA. Their response and resolution to this entire debacle will determine how I let thousands of my subscribers know what to expect from Traxxas.

Matt

RC Champion
    Traxxas gremlins at work

Hobby wing max6 esc for the fix
    fabricator

RC Champion
    Fill out the RMA paper work with a copy of your receipts and as much as it might be a pain to send in the motor and esc Traxxas will help you out like they have done with numerous others on here.
    My turn around time from where I live to Traxxas has always been pretty fast, under 3 weeks and that's going through customs.
    Keep a level head, chances are it's a quick fix and a minimal wait time and you'll be back up and running in know time.

RC poster
    Problem with that is it doesn't take Traxxas' proprietary battery hookup. And, it looks like it's for 1/5 scale trucks
    Last edited by mattps60; 06-19-2020 at 12:01 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by mattps60 View Post
    Problem with that is it doesn't take Traxxas' proprietary battery hookup...
    Traxxas sells the connectors (ESC side) that can be installed to any ESC that you want. Part#3070X
    Also Gen 1 and Gen 2 Traxxas connectors work together.

RC Competitor
    this is what starts the addiction - 1 breaks and while you await replacement parts you buy another to continue driving.

i agree with traxxas and understand why they want their old broken products back just to ensure they aren't being scammed however i'm not sure i agree with traxxas charging you for replacement parts as you stated. if it were me i would send all that stuff in and let them do their thing but buy another motor/esc combo from your local store and throw those in so you can drive again.. possibly the esc/motor that was mentioned above. then when you get your new traxxas esc/motor back you sell those and recoup some of your monies, yeah no matter how you look at it i suppose you are at a loss but some of those other brand esc/motor combos are said to be better

hope it helps and good luck!
    Last edited by whoflungpoo; 06-19-2020 at 01:35 PM.

RC poster
    Problem solved. sent motor and ESC in to Traxxas and they found the ESC was fried and sent me a new one free of charge!

RC poster
    Wanted to chime in as well. I posted about this same issue and had the same result, but neglected to verify what was charged for the warranty replacement. I just double checked and can't find anything. I was (grudgingly) prepared to eat their listed Lifetime Warranty costs for one or both items. Guess my truck was also new enough someone thought it better to just swap'm out. Hope others have the same luck/experience.