RC poster

Worried about getting stampede 2wd VXL

I am admittedly a complete newbie to the RC hobby, so please donít be too harsh on me here! I have been watching YouTube videos and reading these forums for days, and everything Iíve seen with the 2wd pede, shows that it constantly does wheelies and is hard to control. I canít afford to get the 4wd VXL, so I am now debating on just going with the slash 2wd VXL instead. I have a lot of dirt near my house, as we live in a new neighborhood and I imagine the stampede would be fun to drive here, but Iím worried I wonít be able to control it. I was planning on getting a 2s lipo, and letting my son drive with me in the dirt and grass with some street use also. Do you guys have any thoughts to ease my concerns, or would you suggest going to the slash instead, considering Iím a newbie? I donít want to spend a bunch on aftermarket products to make the car run without doing a flip. Thanks for your help!

For what your looking to do with it, and the money of these VXL 2wd's, I'd get this instead...https://www.amainhobbies.com/traxxas...014-4/p1142412

A great truck at a great price, will work very well for your purpose, and be a nice/fun project for you and your son.
    Knowledge gained is lost forever if not passed on.

RC poster
    Thanks for the suggestion. I’m not looking to build the RC, my son is 6 years old and usually gets impatient. Also, I want a brushless RC, as I know I’ll get bored with the brushed slower speeds. Any thoughts on the 2wd brushless pede?

Both the 2wd Stampede & 2wd Slash are fun vehicles. However, they both run a high center of gravity chassis' for ground clearance. Therefore, either will flip over fairly easily at speed. Controllability with any 2wd will just come with a little experience as to how to drive it properly. Keep in mind though, that any hobby grade RC, whether a kit or RTR is going to require maintenance and repairs. So even though you may not want to have to upgrade anything, you'll still be wrenching on whatever you get.

If the 2wd VXL Stampede is what works for your budget and intended purpose best, then I would look at this particular version...https://www.amainhobbies.com/traxxas...-4-grn/p787429 The stability management system will help considerably with control.
    Knowledge gained is lost forever if not passed on.

RC poster
    Quote Originally Posted by FlyingTigerDad View Post
    Both the 2wd Stampede & 2wd Slash are fun vehicles. However, they both run a high center of gravity chassis' for ground clearance. Therefore, either will flip over fairly easily at speed. Controllability with any 2wd will just come with a little experience as to how to drive it properly. Keep in mind though, that any hobby grade RC, whether a kit or RTR is going to require maintenance and repairs. So even though you may not want to have to upgrade anything, you'll still be wrenching on whatever you get.

If the 2wd VXL Stampede is what works for your budget and intended purpose best, then I would look at this particular version...https://www.amainhobbies.com/traxxas...-4-grn/p787429 The stability management system will help considerably with control.
    My recommendation is get the 2wd pede VXL. Easy to work on and fun as heck to drive. I have two, brushed and brushless. Not good in grass though.
    Last edited by Fboylstein; 06-24-2020 at 06:52 PM.
    Fred Boylstein
    79 Goldwing
    VMAX

RC poster
    I’ll probably end up getting the stampede 2wd, And upgrading the internals to help with the stability. I think it’ll be best for bashing and from what I have seen, it’s pretty quick running on the road also. Just gotta decide which color we want, and battery. I’m leaning towards the 2s lipo

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by Xdeserted View Post
    Iíll probably end up getting the stampede 2wd, And upgrading the internals to help with the stability. I think itíll be best for bashing and from what I have seen, itís pretty quick running on the road also. Just gotta decide which color we want, and battery. Iím leaning towards the 2s lipo
    Good news!

Me and the guys rip around my little dirt track with various rigs most Sunday afternoons.
    Even the Ultimate Desert Racer flips and rolls. We all roll Our race tuned rigs.
    Itís because 100% of flips and rolls are from driving outside the limits of the rig...

Stampede 2wd are awesome! It doesnít take much to improve handling.
    Go to your local tire shop and see if you can get some used, peel and stick, wheel balancing weights.
    I like to glue a 1oz in the bulkhead to help keep the front end down.
    Put in heavier shock oil. 45-60 works for me. Move the bottom of the shocks out.
    The stock tires are not great. I prefer ST tires in the 4Ē range.
    Now youíre a little lower, better balance, better traction, less body roll.

2S is a good start and training mode for the youngsters can make learning with the vxl a bit smoother.
    Also Slash 2wd bumpers with help protect from the inevitable tumbles and front impacts...

RC poster
    Thanks man! I’ll definitely save your post and refer back to it.

RC Enthusiast
    I love my 2wd Stampede! Lots of fun, easy to work on, and inexpensive to repair.

RC poster
    I have a 2wd stampede vxl. It is a lots of fun and a nice car. I drive on 2s. Yes, it does a lots of wheelies, but with a little throttle control it is a fun car and nice to drive. Easy on the power, not all at once.

My daughter (5year old) drives olso with this car. I set de ESC on 50% of power. She can control it perfectly.

Remenber: Have fun!!!

RC poster
    Quote Originally Posted by TomV View Post
    I have a 2wd stampede vxl. It is a lots of fun and a nice car. I drive on 2s. Yes, it does a lots of wheelies, but with a little throttle control it is a fun car and nice to drive. Easy on the power, not all at once.

My daughter (5year old) drives olso with this car. I set de ESC on 50% of power. She can control it perfectly.

Remenber: Have fun!!!
    Cool thanks man. My son will love it for sure, I’m going to surprise him with it in a week or so

RC poster
    Quote Originally Posted by Xdeserted View Post
    Cool thanks man. My son will love it for sure, I’m going to surprise him with it in a week or so
    Remember, easy on the throttle��. Have fun.

Accepting requests for bashing at GREENWOOD BASHPLEX in Pittsburgh PA!! Check the thread in the track buddy forum and reply there or pm
    I personally would pick the slash. It has a much better steering system and the longer chassis makes it way more stable over rough terrain.

If you want the monster truck look, you can throw on stampede tires and an emaxx mt body down the road. A 2wd slash is my favorite (outside of an xmaxx) bashing vehicle.

I've owned 4 or 5 pede's, and about 10 slashes...

Pede is a great truck. I just think the slash platform has a higher potential for performance.

Sent from my moto e5 cruise using Tapatalk
    Ya can't polish fertilizer...

Xdeserted,
    All these fine forum folks have gobs of good advice...and I will offer another. I would get either a Bandit or a Rustler in the BRUSHED version. Keep it less expensive and less fast...and keep those repair costs lower. You limit the brushed systems to 2s...which keeps the speeds down and the flying crashes to a minimum...meaning less down-time and fix-me-up-costs. I DO like fixing rcs, however, and I would hope/expect you to acquire approximately 20 new RC over the next few years due to the addiction. With some different gears the brushed Bandit or Rustler can be quite fast and totally fun. The cost of a replacement motor is about $20 and I'd pick up an extra right away to have it on hand. Good luck to you in this adventure. You'll need an rc for each child BTW...and maybe one for the wife if you have the mojo.
    MTFBWY

Accepting requests for bashing at GREENWOOD BASHPLEX in Pittsburgh PA!! Check the thread in the track buddy forum and reply there or pm
    That's the beauty of all of these cars. Parts just swap right on. When you buy a pede, you have all the basics for every other 2wd. Buy a few parts and you turn it into a rusty, bandit, slash, drag car, 1/8 buggy, 1/8 Mt, 1/8 rally car etc...

You can't buy the wrong one

Sent from my moto e5 cruise using Tapatalk
    Ya can't polish fertilizer...